BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Some friends from a recent California visit including a tern (not quite in the same league as ISv's tern, but we do our best).

A rather dreary, sunless day at Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach (it doesn't rain in Southern California, but I definitely felt some drops!).

First, a little guy, a semipalmated plover.
View attachment 200065

Next is a Caspian tern fishing and successfully catching a fish.
View attachment 200066View attachment 200055
View attachment 200058

A Marbled Godwit
View attachment 200060View attachment 200061

And Last, a Willet
View attachment 200063View attachment 200064
A lovely varied series of shots. Well done!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I saw a great series of videos on the BBC yesterday of Puffins and Guillemots flying underwater. They can hold their breath for up to 2-3 minutes while catching sand eels etc. They are swimming underwater but in the same way as flying above. Here is an Attenborough clip on YouTube. (I suppose I should have posted it on another thread as the birds are in water).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Some friends from a recent California visit including a tern (not quite in the same league as ISv's tern, but we do our best).

A rather dreary, sunless day at Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach (it doesn't rain in Southern California, but I definitely felt some drops!).

First, a little guy, a semipalmated plover.
View attachment 200065

Next is a Caspian tern fishing and successfully catching a fish.
View attachment 200066View attachment 200055
View attachment 200058

A Marbled Godwit
View attachment 200060View attachment 200061

And Last, a Willet
View attachment 200063View attachment 200064
Great photos!
And to keep my image of taxonomical jerk: stop calling the Tropic birds "Tern" please:). They are in their very own Order - Phaetontiphormes (you can find brief but good info in Wikipedia). For example the cats and the dogs have less differences than the Terns and the Tropic birds!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I saw a great series of videos on the BBC yesterday of Puffins and Guillemots flying underwater. They can hold their breath for up to 2-3 minutes while catching sand eels etc. They are swimming underwater but in the same way as flying above. Here is an Attenborough clip on YouTube. (I suppose I should have posted it on another thread as the birds are in water).
I watched only the Puffins so far and it's really great! Thanks for the link!

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Yes - the bird is magnificent!!! My photos - hardly, I didn't have the chance to go earlier in the morning and missed the good light:(. I like your photos better!
Lol, the mutual-admiration society is in full session! I'm glad that we can enjoy each other's efforts. :)

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Great photos!
And to keep my image of taxonomical jerk: stop calling the Tropic birds "Tern" please:). They are in their very own Order - Phaetontiphormes (you can find brief but good info in Wikipedia). For example the cats and the dogs have less differences than the Terns and the Tropic birds!
Guilty as charge, or more to the point, guilty of superficial reading. The first bird you mentioned was the tern. I failed to notice your use of the adjective "missing" to modify your reference. For me, I have no idea what a bird is until I look it up, so I didn't misidentify, I simply misread (getting my reading glasses). :geek:

Upvote 0