BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
An f-in nightmare to focus on while they were flying between the branches in some shrubs and trees, so it turned out so and so on the crispness level, but these two had a field day chasing each other and cuckooing and sounding like they had the hiccups.
Common cuckoo - Cuculus canorus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Nice shots everyone. I thought, hey, I should peek back at the hundreds of eagle shots I took May 2015. What a memory trigger. I loved Haida Gwaii.

On the island there are two clans; guess who they are. This was high and the best I could get even with 600mm. The Ravens keep the big guys in check!

Now guess why this guy is looking up - he finally was forced to leave. ;)

Jack

Attachments

• Eagle and Raven clans_7218.JPG
    Eagle and Raven clans_7218.JPG
    935.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Concerned eagle_16500.JPG
    Concerned eagle_16500.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
  • Had enough_16504.JPG
    Had enough_16504.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Stewart K said:
AlanF said:
Stewart K said:
AlanF said:
Jack wanted BIF taken with the 400mm DO II plus 2xTC III on the 5D IV. Yesterday, I stopped the car on a country road, set up for 800mm to take a photo of a bird on a pole, when I suddenly saw this female kestrel hover nearby. I took some shots but the lighting was poor. I had to push ev in post and lighten shadows quite a bit. The AF was good.
I love these shots, it’s very interesting the variations within Kestrels, where were these shots taken Alan?
I’m in the UAE but originally from the UK, so there are small differences between the species I see, this is another variation again!! Great shots mate :)

Fowlmere in Cambridgeshire. She was by the road leading to the RSPB reserve.
Ahh! I was wondering about the location of the bird as you referred to it as a female, this is a male UK Kestrel Alan. Here’s a good link to identifying the species. http://www.worldbirds.co.uk/common_kestrel.aspx?key=38
The slate grey/bluish head and tail gives it away, I wasn't sure on the location of your shot as there really are some spectacular variations globally.

You are right, he is a he.
I am very disappointed that DxO OpticsPro has still not released an update for the 5DIV. It was meant to be released this month, but that date has now been removed from their website. I have relied on their PRIME for noise reduction, which was important for my shots of the kestrel because of the adverse lighting. I have been trying other noise reduction programs, including Topaz, and NeatImage recommended by Art Morris. However, Nik Dfine2 as used by Jack seems pretty good and it's free. Here is one more shot of the kestrel, +0.8 ev + shadows lifted. Nik has done a pretty good job of denoising.

Attachments

• 2B4A1909_Kestrel_4.1.1_1_CR.jpg
    2B4A1909_Kestrel_4.1.1_1_CR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
AlanF said:
You are right, he is a he.
I am very disappointed that DxO OpticsPro has still not released an update for the 5DIV. It was meant to be released this month, but that date has now been removed from their website. I have relied on their PRIME for noise reduction, which was important for my shots of the kestrel because of the adverse lighting. I have been trying other noise reduction programs, including Topaz, and NeatImage recommended by Art Morris. However, Nik Dfine2 as used by Jack seems pretty good and it's free. Here is one more shot of the kestrel, +0.8 ev + shadows lifted. Nik has done a pretty good job of denoising.
I love it!!
We have 2 variations here in the UAE, the Common and the Lesser, but this male is a stunning example, I love the detail in the plumage!
I only have Elements 12, but I'll look into that Nik software, thanks for the tips!!!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Download here
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
It works with Elements 9-13. I haven't upgraded to Adobe cloud, even though I could. For the 5DIV, I either use DPP alone or when I need serious noise reduction use DPP as RAW converter plus preliminary sharpening, then transfer the jpeg to my old Adobe CS6 with the Nik plugins. For the older bodies, I use DxO Optics Pro. But, Nik is doing a good job.

Upvote 0