BIRD IN FLIGHT ONLY -- share your BIF photos here

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
That's a very nice shot. Well done, Alan.
a025.gif

Upvote 0
It's a nice piece of kit. I am going to borrow an M6 II and give that a whirl and report back.
Excellent display of what 90D can do, as expected.
Ergonomics of M6II aside, its battery life seems to be ok. Yesterday I had the M6II always on and waking it up intermittently to shoot. The battery lasted for about 6 hours.
Two issues: the burst mode takes time to write to UHS II card and camera works at reduced speed while doing this.
Second issue was that after waking up, the camera does not start from the last state it was in. It starts from what was setup in the C mode. Is this normal? I have to check more.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi bhf3737.
Some of the cameras (7DII) have the ability to choose to auto update (can’t remember the official designation) the Custom functions or not, I don’t know if that is available on the M6II.

Cheers, Graham.

Ergonomics of M6II aside, its battery life seems to be ok. Yesterday I had the M6II always on and waking it up intermittently to shoot. The battery lasted for about 6 hours.
Two issues: the burst mode takes time to write to UHS II card and camera works at reduced speed while doing this.
Second issue was that after waking up, the camera does not start from the last state it was in. It starts from what was setup in the C mode. Is this normal? I have to check more.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi bhf3737.
Some of the cameras (7DII) have the ability to choose to auto update (can’t remember the official designation) the Custom functions or not, I don’t know if that is available on the M6II.

Cheers, Graham.
Thanks Graham
Yes, M6II has auto update setting in the custom shooting mode. It was disabled by default, and I did not have it enabled. Now it is enabled and works fine.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
How is it for BIF? How many shots in those 6 hours? The 90D takes a while also to write a burst to a card. I am waiting for a UHS-II to be delivered but according to Grant in another thread that won’t cure the problem. Have you used the pre-burst mode?

Upvote 0
How is it for BIF? How many shots in those 6 hours? The 90D takes a while also to write a burst to a card. I am waiting for a UHS-II to be delivered but according to Grant in another thread that won’t cure the problem. Have you used the pre-burst mode?
Not many birds around here these days and no good weather, too.
Tried M6II + 100-400 II (hand held) for half a day.
Keeper rate was not good because of hand holding the combo and perhaps setup. Need to do more test with moving objects.
Some personal observation (qualitative assessment):
1. Battery life was acceptable somehow (one battery, half a day, about 500 shots).
2. Noise level worse than R. ISO 3200 would be the ceiling.
3. Obviously, reach for farther objects was much better, but because of shallow DOF keeping everything in focus was harder.
4. Focus acquisition much better than R with old 1.3 firmware.
5. Setting the AF start point and waiting for objects to enter it and then start tracking lead to more keepers.
6. Not all shots in a burst with tracking were in focus, about 2 of 10 rate. I did not try the pre-burst mode.
7. Writing bursts to UHSII card (rather old Lexar 1000x) was not that fast. Will tray faster Delkin V60 card later.
8. Camera was more responsive for opportunistic shots compared to R.
9. Viewfinder was a must but it looked flimsy, not as secure as built-in one and ready to be broken.
Below is a typical shot. Canon EOS M6 Mark II , EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
20191005 048b.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0