Bird of prey eyeball and megapixels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to a talk recently about birds of prey, and in it he had a model of a raptor eyeball. Unfortunately I can't find a picture online to show you, but the interesting thing was that the back of the eyeball had something like twice the surface area of the front. Imagine a truncated cone, with the top smaller part being the front eyeball and the base being the back, to give you an idea. The lecturer talked about how the reason for that was that they could pack so many more rods and cones on that eye, which the birds used to see prey from 3000 feet up. What he was talking about was evolutionary zoom.

Of course I related this to cameras. Whenever a rumor comes in for a big pixel camera somebody lectures us on how unnecessary that is, it would just clog our disks, and so forth. But with more pixels you can crop and zoom and still keep detail. With enough pixels, and a high enough resolution 50mm lens I can see a case where lugging around a lot of zooms diminishes.

Anyhow an improved autofocus from my 5DMKII, such as in the 5DMKIII is all I really need, but I'm hoping they do release a big megapixel camera, preferably in a 1D body. I'd buy it.

Yeah it is funny, people are never happy unless they are able to rant about how bad the newest canon camera is. Remember when the 15.1 MP 50D came out? People were screaming their heads off saying that number of pixels was just too much and the noise was going to be unbearable and that they hoped canon does not stop selling the 40D because the 50D was going to be a flop. Aaaaaand it turned out to be a great camera.

Earlier this year when the 5D3 came out people were crying and moaning that it has too few megapixels at 22 and that they were going to sell their lens collection at a loss to switch to the latest Nikon body...

Just a few weeks ago when the EOS-M was announced the same people were complaining that the compact camera aimed at beginners does not have every external button and control as the full sized bodies.

No matter what comes out people will try and say it is the worst thing ever...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.