black and white with the use of selective colors

C

CanonCameraFan

Nice pics. Good to see other people's work. Thanks for posting. Colour popping can be used too much, but then so can HDR and other effects. It can look really nice.

This is one of mine. It's taken using picture styles (skd picture style, can't remeber if it was Ruby or Perl, they both desaturate green). I was going to crop but I quite like it as it is as it provides a sense of scale.

Attachments

• IMG_3177 6x4.jpg
    IMG_3177 6x4.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 2,744
Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
CanonCameraFan said:
Nice pics. Good to see other people's work. Thanks for posting. Colour popping can be used too much, but then so can HDR and other effects. It can look really nice.

This is one of mine. It's taken using picture styles (skd picture style, can't remeber if it was Ruby or Perl, they both desaturate green). I was going to crop but I quite like it as it is as it provides a sense of scale.

Very nice!:)
I think it is fun to explore this approach. However, sa I am very new to photoshop, I have not yet learned to use mask tool yet, so when I try to make the black white part rougher, it affects the part with the colors too....

Upvote 0
C

CanonCameraFan

My method for the ladybird picture was even simpler. The picture was taken in RAW using the neutral picture style. In the conversion I changed the picture style - I have three that preserve red in the photo (Ruby, Perl and Only Red). These all give different effects. Ruby and Perl desaturate green but keep the other colours, Only Red keeps only the red. I played around with the additional picture styles on the Canon website before searching for more. I found the downloadable SKD picture styles on Cinescopophilia and a few elsewhere now have loads. I've also fiddled about making one or two of my own using the picture style editor.

I didn't have to do anything except swap the picture style, apply sharpening and tweak the contrast and shadows before converting to JPEG. Job done. Admittedly this method is a bit of a cheat and I already had the picture style file but it was fairly instant.

Upvote 0
U

unruled

DJL329 said:
"Over-exposed" ::)

6825398072_7f7238f3ef.jpg

Came across this roll of film while hiking last March.

only shot ive ever seen where I like the effect. probably the implied irony. :)

Upvote 0