Black Rapid vs Peak Design vs CarrySpeed vs SpiderHolster

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Once you've moved away from the traditional neck-strap, it's very hard to go back. But the whole sling-strap and holster industry is still very young and evolving fast. PeakDesign has been one of the bigger Kickstarter successes. Is anyone using the Peak Design Capture system?

http://peakdesignltd.com/capture/
https://peakdesignltd.com/leash-cuff/

The Peak Design CapturePro looks to me to be a sophisticated, evolved, compact design. The DualPlate is an intriguing design compatible with both Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss. Any reviews I've read are gushing, but appear to have been written by acolytes or affiliates. Any real-world feedback?

The Leash strap system can convert in seconds from a sling strap to a conventional neck strap. The Leash looks a little thin, so I emailed Peak Design who replied almost immediately saying a wider, more comfortable strap suited to the weight of a pro body with 70-200 zoom will be shipping very soon.

I often work long days on my feet carrying a load of gear. The search for a perfect carrying system is a bit like the search for the holy grail. I have a Spider Pro system www.spiderholster.com with the dual holster belt which has been very good but is now worn out and needs replacing.

Recently I had a case of buyers-regret on a full set of CarrySpeed straps; the Extreme, the Pro and the Dual plus extra F1 foldable plates. Initially the system looked full of promise, and I figured I'd get used to the clumsy attachment system and bulky components. What I will say about CarrySpeed is that it is just great if you're only carrying one body/lens so long as that does not include a 70-200 f/2.8. The ability to instantly hitch the camera up tight solves the BR bouncy-bouncy issue. Two straps doesn't work together and the design implementation of the Dual is a mess.

So what to choose? The new kid from Peak Design? More Spiders? BR? And CarrySpeed appear to have been wiped off the face of the map, litigated out of existence by a cashed-up BR for having the audacity to make a sling strap.

-pw

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Halfrack said:
What wore out on the Spider setup? I don't like their plates (doesn't fit my hands), but the pin and catch works great to me.

I wore out the belt and pads for the second time. They're not long-term durable. I'd think that the plates and holsters and pins would have very long lives.

What I'm really interested to hear is any direct real-world user experiences with Peak Design Straps and CapturePro systems.

-pw

Upvote 0
I use the peak design strap and capture clip. Its "almost" perfect for my needs. There are times when I don't want to use a strap and its the only strap system that you can take off the camera really fast and not have those bulky clips on the strap holes. The only thing that I don't like about it is that the strap is not wide/padded. If you have a big dslr and big lens (for example 5d mk3 with a 70-200) then the strap tends to dig on your shoulder and its really uncomfortable. Its currently winter time so its not so bad when I'm wearing a thick jacket. I suggest waiting for the padded version at least.

I prefer to use it on my EOS M and the strap is so small that it takes up very little space when I have my EOS M in my small bag or jacket pocket.

I also have the peak design "cuff" for those times when I don't want to use a strap but still want to keep my camera secure. Having the connectors on my camera already makes it alot easier for me to put it on instead of having to screw on a separate hand strap. One situation I run into constantly where the cuff was better to secure my camera than a neck strap is when I would shoot in a pool with the water up to my chest. If the camera slipped off my fingers somehow, having a neck strap on would mean the camera will still end up in the water but with the cuff all I need to do is raise my wrist above my head if I drop my camera. Thankfully that has not happened....yet.

As for the capture clip, its good for what it does, but I prefer it on my bag strap than my belt. I have a big camera and big lenses...it tends to pull my pants down alot lol. Also, having the capture plates on my camera bodies already makes using my Arca Swiss compatible tripod heads a bit faster to use. No need to screw on a separate plate.

Its a bit pricy for my taste but I got 2 sets of all 3 when the leash/cuff was introduced on kickstarter and got them all for nearly half price :)

For weddings, I dual wield 2 bodies, 2 speedlites, 2 lenses (24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8) and thats when I use the Black Rapid double strap. The wide padded straps makes a huge difference compared to the peak design strap.

As for the other straps, I've never used them so I can't really compare or comment about them.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2012
pwp said:
Once you've moved away from the traditional neck-strap, it's very hard to go back. But the whole sling-strap and holster industry is still very young and evolving fast. PeakDesign has been one of the bigger Kickstarter successes. Is anyone using the Peak Design Capture system?

http://peakdesignltd.com/capture/
https://peakdesignltd.com/leash-cuff/

The Peak Design CapturePro looks to me to be a sophisticated, evolved, compact design. The DualPlate is an intriguing design compatible with both Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss. Any reviews I've read are gushing, but appear to have been written by acolytes or affiliates. Any real-world feedback?

The Leash strap system can convert in seconds from a sling strap to a conventional neck strap. The Leash looks a little thin, so I emailed Peak Design who replied almost immediately saying a wider, more comfortable strap suited to the weight of a pro body with 70-200 zoom will be shipping very soon.

I often work long days on my feet carrying a load of gear. The search for a perfect carrying system is a bit like the search for the holy grail. I have a Spider Pro system www.spiderholster.com with the dual holster belt which has been very good but is now worn out and needs replacing.

Recently I had a case of buyers-regret on a full set of CarrySpeed straps; the Extreme, the Pro and the Dual plus extra F1 foldable plates. Initially the system looked full of promise, and I figured I'd get used to the clumsy attachment system and bulky components. What I will say about CarrySpeed is that it is just great if you're only carrying one body/lens so long as that does not include a 70-200 f/2.8. The ability to instantly hitch the camera up tight solves the BR bouncy-bouncy issue. Two straps doesn't work together and the design implementation of the Dual is a mess.

So what to choose? The new kid from Peak Design? More Spiders? BR? And CarrySpeed appear to have been wiped off the face of the map, litigated out of existence by a cashed-up BR for having the audacity to make a sling strap.

-pw

I freaking love the capture. I have the original capture from the Kickstarter campaign, but it has been replaced by the newer version.

I prefer the newer capture as it has a tripod thread on the bottom and is fully ARCA compliant. The thigh pad is a must if you are rocking a heavy lens though, otherwise it'll dig into your hip like mad.

Normally I'll leave my BR strap attached to my camera and only click it into my capture when I don't want my camera bouncing. There's some slack in the BR strap, but that's fine. **I do attach my BR strap to my camera with a split ring on the Canon strap attachment bar.** Otherwise you couldn't use the BR strap and the capture at the same time.

I wear mine with a holster (gun) belt. It has the stiffness needed to prevent my pants from coming down. I prefer Disse Gear belts, but Bullhide Belts, and Orion Leather Company (not marketed as a holster belt) belts work great too.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
I am still partial to the Think Tank holster/belt system over these strap type setups. While the straps are more convenient and quicker to access gear, I think they are substantially more risky to use. I feel more confident that my camera and lenses would still be intact at the end of the night when they are in padded holsters instead of an unprotected strap/clip/belt.

Upvote 0
The Capture Pro clip seems interesting...except if I have a bracket on my camera. I've already _got_ the Arcaswiss from the bracket, but I imagine I couldn't use the bracket to clip into this. I suppose I could use an Acraswiss clamp screwed onto this clip-in, but that just gets awkward I bet, and kinda defeats the purpose. I think it'd be good for a smaller DSLR without a grip & a lighter lens, or a mirrorless system or something like that. In fact, all the videos I see are a smaller DSLR with a small lens.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
I often carry two bodies - a 7D with the 70-200 f2.8L II and a 5D3 with a 24-105 f4.0L. I can't handle the shoulder strap bags anymore. After a while, the strain near my neck gives me headaches. Plus, I don't like the cameras swinging too far, so I stayed away from BR straps. I most often used Think Tank holsters on a Think Tank Pro Speed Belt.

A couple months ago, I invested in two Peak Design Capture Clips. I have been very impressed with these. As the photos below demonstrate, I sewed 2" straps into a loop so I could mount the clip horizontally and then be able to slide it around the Pro Speed Belt. The clips are always on the belt and I don't use the holsters as much. The clips are very handy for changing lenses.

Also, I make my own neck straps using 1" wide tubular webbing (from REI). The neck strap is still handy when I grab a single body. These 1" straps are less cumbersome than the Canon straps. They are nice to have when I'm in a hurry and just need to throw a camera around my neck or shoulder.

So far, I strongly recommend the Capture Clips, especially the new design (as shown below).

EDIT: I added a fourth photo below. The strap is sewn it two places to keep it secure below the belt and to prevent losing the whole works should the clamps on the clip loosen (which hasn't happened, yet).

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 3,471
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,464
  • IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 3,469
  • IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,473
Upvote 0
i'm not a fan of belt systems at all...on a big and heavy camera, it just feels weird walking around with.
i bought the Capture, it works for mirrorless cameras but on a 5d3 with only a 24-70, it felt so uncomfortable on the belt or even on a backback..i just didn't like the feeling of it..it just feels like someone pulling your belt as you walk.

i then went to buy the b-grip evo..thinking with the large surface area it would be better...i was wrong, it felt even more weird and unnatural to walk around with and a hassle to use..

i also was using the Black Rapids for a while but i felt that it does get in the way whe i'm sitting or squatting down because the strap would fall off my shoulder even with the extra harness...

Ultimately, the one strap that is pretty unknown but works FANTASTIC for me...it's a sling style, it is adjustable in length on the fly and is lockable and is super light and comfortable..I use this strap ALL the time now and it's the best strap i've used by far....It's none other than the Joby Ultrafit strap
http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-men/

for bigger dslrs there's a thicker version
http://joby.com/camera-straps/pro-sling-strap/

Go check it out..it really is that great a product that is very overlooked.

Upvote 0

Schruminator

I'm just kidding, seriously.
Sep 18, 2012
Tulsa, OK USA
www.mschrum.com
FTb-n that's a pretty slick set up you have there, I may have to steal the idea!

I have the PeakDesign Capture Clip (the model before their current one-- mine doesn't have a female thread to screw the whole assembly onto a tripod or whatever it is that the latest one does).

All in all, I love it. It's great when you have a back pack for mounting your camera on the should strap-- which works well for me since I love hiking. For a heavier lens (5D3 + 70-200 2.8) I do need to tighten up my belt if I'm not using my backpack as it will try to pull my pants down, and with the clip in the vertical position it does dig in a bit. I haven't tried their pad (or FTb-n's idea above), but if the pad works as advertised, I would recommend it for heavier lenses if you're using your belt. If you're using a backpack shoulder strap, heavier lenses still work pretty darn well.

Anywho, long story short (too late?) it works well, I wish it cost less so I could buy another, but overall I'm happy with it. The plate is basically permanently attached to the bottom of my camera and the clip is either on my belt or backpack whenever I am out shooting. I haven't seen a reason to look into any other system since I picked the Capture Clip up. It securely holds the camera out of the way when you don't need it and it's easy to grab the camera when you do.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
BoneDoc said:
The capture looks intriguing indeed. I wonder how it compares though to the spider holster, as I was originally going to order one.
I reviewed the Capture, Spider Holster, Carry Speed, M-Plate Pro - http://www.1kindphotography.com/p/reviews_2.html

The Spider hangs upside down and can move around freely. With the Peak Capture, the camera/lens aims down. It's locked in place. If you have a gripped camera, I would go with Spider. If not grip, its a tough choice but I would have to go with Peak.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
FTb-n said:
I often carry two bodies - a 7D with the 70-200 f2.8L II and a 5D3 with a 24-105 f4.0L. I can't handle the shoulder strap bags anymore. After a while, the strain near my neck gives me headaches. Plus, I don't like the cameras swinging too far, so I stayed away from BR straps. I most often used Think Tank holsters on a Think Tank Pro Speed Belt.

A couple months ago, I invested in two Peak Design Capture Clips. I have been very impressed with these. As the photos below demonstrate, I sewed 2" straps into a loop so I could mount the clip horizontally and then be able to slide it around the Pro Speed Belt. The clips are always on the belt and I don't use the holsters as much. The clips are very handy for changing lenses.

Also, I make my own neck straps using 1" wide tubular webbing (from REI). The neck strap is still handy when I grab a single body. These 1" straps are less cumbersome than the Canon straps. They are nice to have when I'm in a hurry and just need to throw a camera around my neck or shoulder.

So far, I strongly recommend the Capture Clips, especially the new design (as shown below).

EDIT: I added a fourth photo below. The strap is sewn it two places to keep it secure below the belt and to prevent losing the whole works should the clamps on the clip loosen (which hasn't happened, yet).
Nice but why not get the ProPad? - http://1kindphotography.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-peak-design-propad-for-capture.html

It moves the Capture further up, offers padding/protecting against your body and makes the setup much more rigid?

Note: I was given a 10% off coupon code to share with readers on all Peak Design products.

Upvote 0
spinworkxroy said:
i'm not a fan of belt systems at all...on a big and heavy camera, it just feels weird walking around with.
i bought the Capture, it works for mirrorless cameras but on a 5d3 with only a 24-70, it felt so uncomfortable on the belt or even on a backback..i just didn't like the feeling of it..it just feels like someone pulling your belt as you walk.

i then went to buy the b-grip evo..thinking with the large surface area it would be better...i was wrong, it felt even more weird and unnatural to walk around with and a hassle to use..

i also was using the Black Rapids for a while but i felt that it does get in the way whe i'm sitting or squatting down because the strap would fall off my shoulder even with the extra harness...

Ultimately, the one strap that is pretty unknown but works FANTASTIC for me...it's a sling style, it is adjustable in length on the fly and is lockable and is super light and comfortable..I use this strap ALL the time now and it's the best strap i've used by far....It's none other than the Joby Ultrafit strap
http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-men/

for bigger dslrs there's a thicker version
http://joby.com/camera-straps/pro-sling-strap/

Go check it out..it really is that great a product that is very overlooked.

That connects to the bottom, which I hate. There are no choices on the connection. Plus, the lens is digging into the guys stomach in the demo and it would get more uncomfortable with a bigger lens. It may work better in practice though I do not know. I am kind of sold on the peak design leash as a strap and their capture clip for use on hikes and stuff. I was actually just about to buy the leash but hearing about a more padded version is making me wait and see. What I love about that leash is that I have a choice where to attach the strap.

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Hello out there! Anyone using Peak-Design straps and Capture system?

-pw

I have been using the Peak Design straps on a Canon 1D Mark IV for the last 8-10 months along with a Black Rapid strap for when I am carrying around my biggest lenses. I really like the fact that I can attach and remove both of these straps very quickly. I usually have the Peak Design straps on the top left and lower right corners of the camera so that the camera and lens hang downwards at my right hip. I'm usually using a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 or Canon 100 f2.8 IS when travelling in this configuration. I then leave my Black Rapid attached to the foot of either my Canon 100-400 or Sigma 120-300 f2.8 depending on the amount of weight I want to carry around. This method works well with the rest of my lenses when not travelling as well.

I was originally worried about how the peak designs strap would feel with such a thin strap but actually found it to be more comfortable most of the time than any other strap I have used, it did not dig into my shoulder but just really wrapped around my body. I have found that wear and tear on the strap is much quicker to be noticed than others but I would seriously consider buying another for the comfort and ease of moving it back and forth to my Sony A7R by just keeping the little connectors attached all the time.

Cheers

Upvote 0