Black Rapid vs Peak Design vs CarrySpeed vs SpiderHolster

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
1kind said:
Nice but why not get the ProPad? - http://1kindphotography.blogspot.com/2013/10/review-peak-design-propad-for-capture.html

It moves the Capture further up, offers padding/protecting against your body and makes the setup much more rigid?

I was intrigued by the ProPad. But, I have two CLIPs and found the cost of two ProPads a bit pricy when I already had the 2" seat belt webbing left over from another project. My cost was just my time sewing them.

When I bought the CLIPs, I intended to mount them vertically on the belt. But, I found the CLIPs easier to use if mounted horizontally. If mounted vertically, I was a bit concerned about accidently releasing the CLIP and dropping the camera.

After using the CLIPs on my strap mounts, I like that they are very simple with no added bulk. I actually find a benefit with the CLIP just below the belt. When walking with a 5D3 and 70-200 on the CLIP, the camera and lens rides nicely wherever I position them on the belt. If I carry the camera and lens in front, it is also handy to flip the body up when sitting or while changing lenses with the body in the CLIP.

Still, I haven't tried the ProPad. I may well find it just as convenient as my solution.

Upvote 0
Halfrack said:
For what it is worth, scuttlebutt is that Carryspeed was sued by BlackRapid, and the lawsuit was dragged out enough that Carryspeed gave up. Not sure how they viewed the product as a knock off.

Black Rapid has a patent on the sliding camera strap.
http://1.usa.gov/1i9HldD

CarrySpeed LumaLoop and others have left the field or discontinued products as result of the patent grant. Carryspeed was sued by BR and seems to have gone out of business.

Millionway International, Inc. ("Millionway") and Black Rapid are competitors in the camera strap market. ( Millionway Int'l, Inc. v. Black Rapid, Inc., 4:13-CV-01780, Dkt. 1). XP Photo sells Millionway's products. Dkt. 1 ¶ 17 (Original Complaint). On November 1, 2011, the United States Patent and Trademark Office ("Patent Office") granted Black Rapid a utility patent on a camera transport system and method, known as the 729 Patent. Dkt. 1 ¶ 10. The Patent Office issued a reexamination certificate confirming the validity of the 729 Patent on March 5, 2013. Id. On March 6, 2013, Black Rapid filed suit against Millionway in the United States District Court for the Central District of California ("California Court") for infringement of the 729 Patent. Id. ¶ 12. Millionway did not answer, and Black Rapid filed a motion for default judgment on April 5, 2013. Dkt. 7, Ex. F.[1] The California Court entered default judgment against Millionway on June 10, 2013, and additionally permanently enjoined Millionway and its agents from infringing the 729 Patent. Dkt. 7, Ex. B (granting Black Rapid's motion for default judgment). Therefore, the California Court deemed Black Rapid's factual allegations in its original complaint as true, including a determination that Millionway's camera straps including the "Carry Speed" line of products, infringed the 729 Patent. Id.
http://tx.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20131202_0001521.STX.htm/qx

Upvote 0
Roger Jones said:
Halfrack said:
For what it is worth, scuttlebutt is that Carryspeed was sued by BlackRapid, and the lawsuit was dragged out enough that Carryspeed gave up. Not sure how they viewed the product as a knock off.

CarrySpeed LumaLoop and others have left the field or discontinued products as result of the patent grant. Carryspeed was sued by BR and seems to have gone out of business.

Millionway International, Inc. ("Millionway") and Black Rapid are competitors in the camera strap market. ( Millionway Int'l, Inc. v. Black Rapid, Inc., 4:13-CV-01780, Dkt. 1). XP Photo sells Millionway's products. Dkt. 1 ¶ 17 (Original Complaint). On November 1, 2011, the United States Patent and Trademark Office ("Patent Office") granted Black Rapid a utility patent on a camera transport system and method, known as the 729 Patent. Dkt. 1 ¶ 10. The Patent Office issued a reexamination certificate confirming the validity of the 729 Patent on March 5, 2013. Id. On March 6, 2013, Black Rapid filed suit against Millionway in the United States District Court for the Central District of California ("California Court") for infringement of the 729 Patent. Id. ¶ 12. Millionway did not answer, and Black Rapid filed a motion for default judgment on April 5, 2013. Dkt. 7, Ex. F.[1] The California Court entered default judgment against Millionway on June 10, 2013, and additionally permanently enjoined Millionway and its agents from infringing the 729 Patent. Dkt. 7, Ex. B (granting Black Rapid's motion for default judgment). Therefore, the California Court deemed Black Rapid's factual allegations in its original complaint as true, including a determination that Millionway's camera straps including the "Carry Speed" line of products, infringed the 729 Patent. Id.
http://tx.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.20131202_0001521.STX.htm/qx

My eyes started hurting after reading the first couple of paragraphs, but doesn't the Optech sling strap have the same principle? Did they do it first or didn't BR have enough bank balance to sue them?

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
My eyes started hurting after reading the first couple of paragraphs, but doesn't the Optech sling strap have the same principle? Did they do it first or didn't BR have enough bank balance to sue them?

IANAL but my reading of the 729 patent is that the claim is for the sliding hardware that moves along the strap. The optech doesn't have the slide so it doesn't infringe. I don't think you can patent the concept of shoulder straps but who knows.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Halfrack said:
That is correct. That is what Tim (CEO) of CarrySpeed told me over the phone. He tried to fight it but didn't have the funds to tackle BR and their expensive lawyers. So they sold off CarrySpeed to an international company. Tim is now focusing on other camera accessories such as PhotographyandCinema.com, Kamerar.com, Mogopod.com

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Roger Jones said:
Halfrack said:

CarrySpeed is out of the strap market. Luma Labs discontinued the LumaLoop but redesigned their strap and released the Cinch.

There are a bunch still left on the market. JOBY (JOBY is a bigger company than BR and BR won't go after them), OPTech (probably the same as Joby), SunSniper, CustomSLR, and those are a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
sagittariansrock said:
Roger Jones said:
Halfrack said:

The legal fees was pretty much was killed off CarrySpeed. A multi-million dollar company versus a small company.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
I just got the peak design clip/arca plate, and I like it so far.

Pros:
I like it on my belt not for carrying the camera but for switching lenses outdoors. belts are not meant to take another 10 lb of camera it seems. anyone using suspenders with a belt?

It seems durable and secure, not sure about the plastic locking button release, but i think i can replace it if it breaks. there are definitly enough ways to lock it in that i am not worried about the camera falling.

I actually bought it just for the plate, because it has a loop for my blackrapid strap to connect to. My problem was that it was cumbersome change from blackrapid to tripod. Now i can hook the blackrapid right to the plate, and the plate to the tripod, and then into my belt to change lenses. seems effective but i havent actually used it on a long adventure. The plate does not allow for the safety bolts that my benro plate has, but im not too stupid so fingers crossed.

With the mk2 one, I can put the blackrapid screw into the bottom of the clip if i want, and use it that way. the weight of the clip helps keep the strap from getting in the way while the camera is on the tripod. I will report back as to how these styles work after i get a chance to carry it for a while.

The price was dirt cheap for camera stuff. hard pressed to find even a filter for 75$ let alone such a nifty solution.

Cons:
Cast aluminum can be pretty shady, and all the working parts are hidden from view so i cant tell what they are. the coating appears to be powder coated, not anodized, so it scratches off easily especially around the locking screws.

The locking screws are not yet perfect, they have to be unscrewed a long ways to allow the plate to swing open, even when it is floppy loose on the belt or strap. they also come out all the way and could get lost. a captive system would be difficult but better.

the position of the release button is a bit awkward, maybe having 2 or moving it would help.

the matte anodizing on the plate is not as smooth as the gloss on my benro plate, and it doesn't slide into my tripod as easily, but that could be a pro, because it doesn't fall out right as soon as i crack the screw loose.

all i can think of for now.

PS the blackrapid fasteners are all pretty sketchy and i would like to see a better sliding faster system. easy to sell it separately as an "accessory clip" and tell blackrapid to shove it.

EDIT: can someone post a picture showing how the peak design strap ends connect to the strap? i would like to be able to work them into a hand strap as well as a sling strap and do away with my blackrapid alltogether.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Logan said:
I just got the peak design clip/arca plate, and I like it so far.

Pros:
I like it on my belt not for carrying the camera but for switching lenses outdoors. belts are not meant to take another 10 lb of camera it seems. anyone using suspenders with a belt?

It seems durable and secure, not sure about the plastic locking button release, but i think i can replace it if it breaks. there are definitly enough ways to lock it in that i am not worried about the camera falling.

I actually bought it just for the plate, because it has a loop for my blackrapid strap to connect to. My problem was that it was cumbersome change from blackrapid to tripod. Now i can hook the blackrapid right to the plate, and the plate to the tripod, and then into my belt to change lenses. seems effective but i havent actually used it on a long adventure. The plate does not allow for the safety bolts that my benro plate has, but im not too stupid so fingers crossed.

With the mk2 one, I can put the blackrapid screw into the bottom of the clip if i want, and use it that way. the weight of the clip helps keep the strap from getting in the way while the camera is on the tripod. I will report back as to how these styles work after i get a chance to carry it for a while.

The price was dirt cheap for camera stuff. hard pressed to find even a filter for 75$ let alone such a nifty solution.

Cons:
Cast aluminum can be pretty shady, and all the working parts are hidden from view so i cant tell what they are. the coating appears to be powder coated, not anodized, so it scratches off easily especially around the locking screws.

The locking screws are not yet perfect, they have to be unscrewed a long ways to allow the plate to swing open, even when it is floppy loose on the belt or strap. they also come out all the way and could get lost. a captive system would be difficult but better.

the position of the release button is a bit awkward, maybe having 2 or moving it would help.

the matte anodizing on the plate is not as smooth as the gloss on my benro plate, and it doesn't slide into my tripod as easily, but that could be a pro, because it doesn't fall out right as soon as i crack the screw loose.

all i can think of for now.

PS the blackrapid fasteners are all pretty sketchy and i would like to see a better sliding faster system. easy to sell it separately as an "accessory clip" and tell blackrapid to shove it.

EDIT: can someone post a picture showing how the peak design strap ends connect to the strap? i would like to be able to work them into a hand strap as well as a sling strap and do away with my blackrapid alltogether.
I wouldn't rely on the d-ring screw mount on the plate. Even though it looks sturdy, I don't think the intentions of it is to hang something from it. So just be wary.

In regards to locking screws and opening all the way, it all depends on how thick your belt/strap is. On a belt, it has to be opened a little. But if you're attaching to a think shoulder strap or something, you'll have to open it more. If the strap is 3/4 or more thicker, you'll need new long clamping bolts that can be purchased separately (compatible with Capture v2 only). Long bolts are also included with POV kit and ProPad.

I have reviews of both Peak Design Leash and Cuff.

Leash - http://www.1kindphotography.com/2013/05/review-peak-design-leash-camera-strap.html
Cuff - http://www.1kindphotography.com/2013/05/review-peak-design-cuff-camera-wrist-strap.html

It attaches via "cow hitch" loop as shown. I have it on the strap loop which will be perfect for the Cuff. You can place another on the opposite side and one on the plate for the Leash sling strap.
peakdesign_cuff4.jpg

peakdesign_leash2.jpg

peakdesign_leash3.jpg

Here are some different ways you can set up your strap
peakdesign_leash5.jpg

peakdesign_cuff2.jpg

peakdesign_cuff3.jpg

GO TO http://www.1kindphotography.com/2013/01/deal-exclusive-discount-coupon-codes-deals.html FOR 10% OFF PEAK DESIGN COUPON

Upvote 0
I use the Peak Design capture v. 2 and the hip pad an I am very happy with it. For heavy gear i use a seperate belt from the one in my pants to avoid them sagging where the camera pulls it down.

It has been in use almost every day the past 14 months and feels brand new.

I have not used the competitors systems and probably never will.

I am very happy with the Peak Design gear.

Upvote 0

Leejo

Still relearning the same things...
Jul 20, 2012
currently using a
SunSniper strap (was available here when Black Rapid wasn't - is the original Version so similar to BR)
with Peakdesign Clutch
and Optech strap as security if the swivel connector comes out.
Got low Profile swivel connectors to allow this to work.

Considering adding a quick release arca swiss Mount but have to size it up.

I carry the camera on the strap - when not active, and want a hand grip when shooting quite a bit

Don't have a very heavy lens so not troubled there. If I did I would then consider
mounting the strap to the lens tripod foot - possibly with the quick release.

Do have one Problem currently, the PeakDesign Clutch occupies the complete camera affixment point,
and not just a looped attachment - so the Optech security strap has to attach to the Clutch inelegantly,
and not just to the camera - could go upto an L-Plate but this is defeating the Point of the Clutch
Also I find the clutch in it's basic design the strap 'slips' too much and thus it is too easy for the changes the size of the grip too often.

Works for me, built up over a couple of years just adding on rather than designing from scratch.
Sure would look now more at the products from one or max. two companies to get the result I needed.
Personally don't want anything on my belt etc - though I appreciate the usage for those that do.
Considering a PD-Capture down the line. Then it would be a question whether a PD-Strap wouldn't be better,
though the Joby Looks good, or a BR-RSSport....
Choices choices...

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
pwp said:
Hello out there! Anyone using Peak-Design straps and Capture system?

-pw

Yes and Yes. I have the Capture Pro system - 2 clips on my hydration pack for hiking - one on each strap. No regrets. I had asked around on here previously about adding a tether for "added security" and the general consensus was it wasn't needed. After using them, I agree. Very securely hold the camera/lens combo.

I bought their cuff strap as well and added it to one of the plates. I'm mixed on whether or not I like it. The cuff is perfectly fine, I just wonder how much like having an extra "thing" hanging around there.

I also use the BR sport sling with a kirk 1" Arca clamp on the BR connector. (neuro's combo) and have no regrets either.

The combination of these two carry methods gives me great flexibility in switching from strap to capture clip to monopod/tripod without any real effort as they all use a common element - the arca plate.

Good luck... you probably won't regret the capture system.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friends.
I use the double straps = Made in China/ Great and super cheap for many years already, and Never fail to me.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19414.0

Enjoy.
Surapon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Release-Shoulder-Binoculars-Camcorders/dp/B00MQVRUVI/ref=pd_sxp_redirect

Attachments

• SS-D-1-SMALL.jpg
    SS-D-1-SMALL.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 408
  • SS-D-5-SMALL.jpg
    SS-D-5-SMALL.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 381
Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Another vote for Peak Design's Capture Clips. I use two on a padded Think Tank Speed Belt. But, I've made my own version of the Peak Design Pad by sewing 2" webbing into a loop that slides on to the belt and clip mounts below the belt on the 2" webbing and horizontally. See the post below for pics:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=17975.msg354702#msg354702

I'm now shooting with two 5D3's or a 5D3 and a 1Dx. One body with a 70-200, the other with a 24-70. The clips hold both quite well. However, most of time I am carrying one body by hand so I'm always ready for the shot.

It's handy to slide a body around as needed. Often, I use a small Think Tank Little Stuff It to carry extra cards and batteries. Another handy addition is the Think Tank Skin 75 Pop Down pouch. For many indoor sports events, I grab the 1Dx with the 70-200 and 40 MM pancake as a backup. The Skin 75 is slim when empty, but holds the 70-200 if I need the 40. At least that's the main plan. It has become handy for other stuff from an 8" tablet to a water bottle as well.

Upvote 0