Blast from the past Review: Canon D30

Aug 10, 2021
Tech really advanced a lot....D30 is heavier than R7 with less performance.

And for the R1/a9iii discussion. Internal SSD(Nvme)+CFB seems a better solution. First write to the SSD, then the camera can make copies to CFB after.
That seems like a good solution and depending on your requirements, you could avoid using CFB and transfer via WI-FI to your computer or phone.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My first DSLR was an early example of the 300D. I then jumped on the 20D and figured that this would be my last DSLR for a long while. I then bought a 5D on it's launch and was thrilled to have a full frame DSLR camera. The 5D has so much control over depth of field with long primes and I love the very strong contrast and colours that the 12mp CMOS sensor delivered.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I was working on course material for a history of photography, in the process of which I was checking out a book by Tom Ang (who actually lives in my area). He had dedicated a double spread in the book to the early days of DSLRs and featured the D30:

IMG_1456 A LR.jpg

Intrigued I thought it would be great to find one as a prop for my course, so I went on line and found one on eBay for $60 from Japan UNUSED! Further inquiry elicited that the rear LCD was scratched during unpacking, so the camera was dumped in a storeroom until they were clearing out to move. With nothing to lose, I bought it and sure enough it was otherwise immaculate. I found another body with a good LCD and got Canon to switch parts to put the two together and got them to check it - sure enough it was unused.
So, I took it out for a spin with the EF 17-40L lens and was amazed at the performance. With such big photosites, the noise was negligible even in very low light as this example demonstrates. Taken hand-held in available light in a very dark pumping room.

CRW_0212.jpg
17mm, f/5.6. 1/8sec, ISO-400

CRW_0213.jpg
17mm, f/5.6, 1/8sec, ISO-400
IMG_0005.JPG
Using EF 28135 IS USM, 75mm, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO-200

It was also interesting to see a video by the respected, and late photographer Michael Reichmann, doing a review of the camera. It is intriguing to see how it was seen at the time it was introduced. It is easy to look back in time and judge it in our contemporary context, but at the time it was the proverbial game-changer:
Michael Reichmann's Review

Attachments

• IMG_1456 A LR.jpg
    IMG_1456 A LR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0