Blood Moon Eclipse Show Photos Here

sedwards said:
i was luck that the weather was clear last night but clouds moved in as soon as it reached total eclipse . i didnt think the blood moon would require such a slow shutter speed.
7D II
400mm f5.6
iso 800 , 1/5 second

7D2_3704 by Stuart Edwards, on Flickr

Wow...my exposure was really different to yours. I'm in Wiltshire, UK. My shot is full frame through...no crop and my images haven't been cropped in post either.

1 second at f8 iso 6400.
Canon 5DIII, ef 400 f2.8 LIS, a 2x and a 1xtc.

21774613805_7963eb8d0a_o.jpg

When compared to a shot earlier in the night, 1/100th sec, f13 @ Iso 100:
21748483976_ed52f712e0_o.jpg

The exif gets confused if I stack a 2x and a 1xtc.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
A mostly clear sky here in the Upper Midwest.
Taken with a 500mm f:4 IS and EF 2x iii on tripod. ISO 1600, exposure 1 second at f:9 (stabilization turned off)
No tracking, which explains why sharpness is not good as it could have been. Do you realize that due to the earth's rotation the moon "travels" more than 16 miles in a second's time?

Attachments

• supermoon_95918.jpg
    supermoon_95918.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Yet more very interesting and excellent shots. I just heard on local radio that it has been 30yrs since a blood moon was visible from my area, I hope I didn't pass up the opportunity to see one for another 30yrs, if I had realised the timings my customers may have got a very tired person turn up!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
Yet more very interesting and excellent shots. I just heard on local radio that it has been 30yrs since a blood moon was visible from my area, I hope I didn't pass up the opportunity to see one for another 30yrs, if I had realised the timings my customers may have got a very tired person turn up!

Cheers, Graham.

Next opportunity to get the two phenomena's together will be 2033 so another 18 years.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.

You will only have to wait 18 years, the next is in 2033.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
As seen from the Boston area through a 1200mm lens, at the time of maximum eclipse.

"Blood Moon"

EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II + EF 2x III Extender, 0.5 s, f/8, ISO 6400

Nice. Your exposure was a lot different than mine, I had to use 2 sec at ISO 6400. I think we had some high clouds moving in, but I could not see any in the photo. Not many stars were showing, and the moon was dimmer than expected.

Of course, we were much earlier here(7:47 PM), so it had just managed to get reasonably dark.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
Mt Spokane Photography said:
neuroanatomist said:
As seen from the Boston area through a 1200mm lens, at the time of maximum eclipse.

"Blood Moon"

EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II + EF 2x III Extender, 0.5 s, f/8, ISO 6400

Nice. Your exposure was a lot different than mine, I had to use 2 sec at ISO 6400. I think we had some high clouds moving in, but I could not see any in the photo. Not many stars were showing, and the moon was dimmer than expected.

Of course, we were much earlier here(7:47 PM), so it had just managed to get reasonably dark.

Great Frame, Dr Brain.

My effort. Excuse the Facebook-induced posterization.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    706.2 KB · Views: 226
  • image.png
    image.png
    183.6 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:

"Blood Moon"

Very nice !

And impressive sharpness for a half second at 1200mm. I had the hardest time figuring out appropriate shutter speeds. At some point during the night I thought I'd try to keep it at or above 1/10 sec. Then as the eclipse progressed, it was clear that I had to go slower anyway. I ended up at half a second as well, albeit at 600mm only. I thought that was already too slow, but seeing your image, I guess I still had some leeway.

Of course I was struggling with focusing as well. My own damn fault ... in the beginning, while there was still a significant portion of the moon in sunshine, I wasn't too careful with keeping my focus in place since it was so easy to refocus anyway. But then once it gets in the shade it's another story. I think my focus is not optimal for many of my fully-eclipsed shots, and it was virtually impossible to improve it.

Oh well, live and learn. I'll be ready for 2033.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Once the eclipse started the exposure was almost the same for 3 hours but the crest of the eclipse was more difficult and the pics from that more interesting.

How were you focusing?

What I did was basically frame the shot in the centre but to the left so when I got the tripod sorted etc I would wait for the moon to move into the centre of the frame. I set the focus at infinity to set my framing, then use live view to make fine adjustments at 10x view with the image stabilisation on to steady the viewfinder, then turned it off 10 second shutter release to ensure the camera was still then it took the shot.

It is difficult because it moves so quick and I can imagine even more difficult with 1200mm I put my 40D on the Tammy which would have been 960mm but wasn't happy as its awful at 3200ISO so left it on the 5DMKIII and was pretty chuffed with the results.

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
How were you focusing?

What I did was basically frame the shot in the centre but to the left so when I got the tripod sorted etc I would wait for the moon to move into the centre of the frame. I set the focus at infinity to set my framing, then use live view to make fine adjustments at 10x view with the image stabilisation on to steady the viewfinder, then turned it off 10 second shutter release to ensure the camera was still then it took the shot.

Same thing, essentially, Live View at 10x for the fine adjustments. I've done it several times for the non-eclipsed moon and it works like a charm. I just didn't realize how much harder it would be on the eclipsed moon (which in hindsight should have been obvious, I know). I couldn't make those fine adjustments so easily, the whole thing was too noisy in Live View (by the way, is it just an impression, or is the 5D3 bad at this? I feel like my 6D gave a clearer view ...)

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
tomscott said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.

Next opportunity to get the two phenomena's together will be 2033 so another 18 years.

Hopefully by then we all have pocket sized 800mm DOMkII lenses.

I just let my center point autofocus do all the work. Oddly enough contrast detect in live view did not like the circumstances. I guess I never thought to fine tune with manual focus in live view because the phase detect sensor didn't stop working... If you focused on the edge of the moon, focusing on the middle didn't work once it got dark.

Upvote 0
i drove 15 minutes away from my place and parked in a farmers field. i used my laptop tethered with the EOS utility for manual focus. there is a LOT of atmospheric interferance at 400mm and 200% magnification. there was also quite a bit of wind so i had to shoot between gusts . my super sturdy carbon tripod isnt so sturdy when the wind gets at it lol.

Upvote 0