Breakthrough Photography launches the ‘Breakthrough R’ drop-in filters for the Canon EOS R system

Breakthrough gave an initial shipping date of September 28th, 2020. They are now more than 4.5 months late.

I ordered on August 4th, 2020 and still haven't received anything.

All those that preordered have basically given them an interest free loan of indeterminent length.

Spot on

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Breakthrough gave an initial shipping date of September 28th, 2020. They are now more than 4.5 months late.

I ordered on August 4th, 2020 and still haven't received anything.

All those that preordered have basically given them an interest free loan of indeterminent length.
Have you heard anything? Nothing about the VND-R at my end. Sigh.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
What's the difference between a X2 and X4 CPL on their filter system?

I thought a polarizer was a polarizer....?
I once asked Breakthrough, their answer was a better quality (Schott glass instead of Hoya)
Schott is a Zeiss subsidiary...
So, I'd stick with X4 and Schott glass, despite a higher -justified- price.
Their CPL filters are the best you can get, almost absolutely color-neutral.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I ordered and paid for a pollution filter for night photography in August, 2020. I still haven’t received it eight months later. I have talked to them several times and get the same BS. I wonder if I can get it to use this year. This is a corrupt business practice that Canon Rumors should call out instead of promoting.
They're a legitimate company and not sure it's fair to blame CR (more so now with clear affiliate info) as it looked legit (they actually do ship well regarded filters already, just this area seems dead?).

I'm still watching this as I was very close to putting money in as I had searched and they did have products out there being used/sold. However, their replies to questions on this and lessons on early adoption had my gut screaming to wait it out, glad I did. I wish they'd come through, but something clearly isn't functioning at that company now.

this is their reply from Oct 5th.. "
Our newly released drop in filters are available for pre order as we manufacture. No ETA, we anticipate shipping to begin mid to late Novmeber.
Filters with adjustment wheel take longer to manufacture and will not be shipping at the same time.

You can sign up here to get notified when they are in stock:"

Upvote 0
They're a legitimate company and not sure it's fair to blame CR (more so now with clear affiliate info) as it looked legit (they actually do ship well regarded filters already, just this area seems dead?).

I'm still watching this as I was very close to putting money in as I had searched and they did have products out there being used/sold. However, their replies to questions on this and lessons on early adoption had my gut screaming to wait it out, glad I did. I wish they'd come through, but something clearly isn't functioning at that company now.

this is their reply from Oct 5th.. "
Our newly released drop in filters are available for pre order as we manufacture. No ETA, we anticipate shipping to begin mid to late Novmeber.
Filters with adjustment wheel take longer to manufacture and will not be shipping at the same time.

You can sign up here to get notified when they are in stock:"
I’m not blaming Canon Rumors, but when announce that Breakthrough is making something that doesn’t exist, they should let us know that as well. Also, Breakthrough shouldn’t charge until they ship as other suppliers

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I’m not blaming Canon Rumors, but when announce that Breakthrough is making something that doesn’t exist, they should let us know that as well. Also, Breakthrough shouldn’t charge until they ship as other suppliers
It clearly said pre-order which to me indicates it's not actually made and shipping, hence me emailing them and asking for more info.

Though to be fair, being a company with other products shipping, I'd have assumed it's less risky. As far as I can tell Breakthrough didn't run this like a kickstarter, so boo on them and fully agree they shouldn't have charged unless product shipped. Its a poor way to treat customers.

Upvote 0

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
This is the reply i rec'd from them in the last week;
The PL to RF adapter for cinema lenses will be available first. The PL to RF adapter is currently in manufacturing and we'll begin shipping as soon as it completes. EF to RF adapters will begin manufacturing following PL to RF.

This is new technology for us, we're super excited to offer different adapters for both photographers and filmmakers (-:

If you're needing something now, I'd recommend to purchase Canon's Adapter. We're doing a buy-back on it, so then you'd have something in the meantime.

As other people have suggested I will never buy anything from this company in the future

Upvote 0
I reached out, A standard reply. sigh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apr 4, 2021, 5:19 PDT

Hi,

I first ordered my drop-in filters on September 14th 2020, Order #(blah, blah blah) and received part of that order, a 4X clear on January 19th 2021.

I made a commitment to purchase the Canon R5, the canon RF-EF lens mount with the drop-in filter and drop-in filters from Breakthrough Photography.

While I can certainly understand shipping and manufacturing delays due to COVID and higher demand than was originally expected. It has been almost 7 months.

Don’t you think that time frame is a little excessive? I am guessing I am not the only customer in this position.

I am not sure what else I should add. It certainly would be nice if the remaining order was fulfilled in a timely manner.

Sincerely

David

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apr 5, 2021, 11:02 PDT

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out!

We are a small CNC shop which has been manufacturing around the clock.

Due to overwhelming demand for the drop in filters and adapters, we are experiencing delays and cannot guarantee delivery times.

If this is time sensitive and you are needing something now, we will be buying back Canon's adapters and filters when our system officially launches.

We want to make sure that you have the right equipment for what you're doing even if it's not from us.

If at anytime you would like to cancel your order for a full refund, I would be happy to do that for you, otherwise I still have you in the queue!

VND filters are currently in manufacturing and the X4 aluminum frame will be shipping first.

We do not have a shipping ETA at this time.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Best,
Christie

Upvote 0