Buy 7D now If I won't be able to afford 7D mkii

Status
Not open for further replies.
go for a 2nd hand 60D in the meantime while you wait to see what the 70D is all about, the IQ is slightly better than the 7D (i've owned 500D, 60D, 7D, 1Dsiii, 5Dii, 5Diii)

The button layout and ease of use of the 7D is a lot better than the 60D but fps and buttons aren't really worth the extra $$$ for the older 7D. It's a nice stop gap camera is the 60D, quite fun to use. when I owned both the 7D & 60D as a back up I found myself reaching for the 60D most of the time. It's a lot better than the handling of the 1D series IMO which I find a pain anywhere out of the studio. I still use the 1Dsiii tethered but I'd never take it to shoot a wedding or event. I'd say wait then until you've saved a little more and the 5Diii falls in price then go straight for that.

2nd hand 60D over the 7D unless you reeeeeally need the fps.

Upvote 0
The price will get better . . .

As an example (not necessarily a suggestion), right now, the 60D is at a very good price, soon, you'll be seeing it at great prices. There have been canon refurb deals, ebay daily deals, and CraigsList (US) is about to see a bunch of people selling, trying to beat the market glut of used bodies . . .

This will happen to the 7D as the announcements near/happen etc. The prices won't be as low since it's a higher end camera, and the desperation won't necessarily be there, since it IS a really good camera (5Dmk2 didn't really go bargain basement) . . . but the prices will drop.

If nothing else, wait until 'Christmas' --- before I get bludgeoned by the hoards decrying that the world doesn't revolve around the US or Christian Holidays . . . it's a cyclical thing, and you will see more price drops between Nov1 and Dec15. A lot of vendors are going to see this as a time to exhaust inventory before they get 'stuck' with the older model and will be looking to give decent discounts in lieu of clearance prices later.

Upvote 0
Powder Portraits said:
A small issue to consider is a 70D uses SD cards, yet what you are using now uses compact flash cards. Have you considered a flash such as a 580ex, exploring imagery with a new light source sure can be fun.

Since the 1D has a CF and SD slot ,I Use a 16GB class 10 SD in the 1D and a 244X 16GB CF in the 20D , So no issue there

I already have a 580ex and a 550ex .

I actually use them quite a lot , I love experimenting with them .

LewisShermer said:
go for a 2nd hand 60D in the meantime while you wait to see what the 70D is all about, the IQ is slightly better than the 7D (i've owned 500D, 60D, 7D, 1Dsiii, 5Dii, 5Diii)

The button layout and ease of use of the 7D is a lot better than the 60D but fps and buttons aren't really worth the extra $$$ for the older 7D. It's a nice stop gap camera is the 60D, quite fun to use. when I owned both the 7D & 60D as a back up I found myself reaching for the 60D most of the time. It's a lot better than the handling of the 1D series IMO which I find a pain anywhere out of the studio. I still use the 1Dsiii tethered but I'd never take it to shoot a wedding or event. I'd say wait then until you've saved a little more and the 5Diii falls in price then go straight for that.

2nd hand 60D over the 7D unless you reeeeeally need the fps.

It sounds like a good option , but what is the point when I will be reselling in less than 12 months time .
I will lose quite a bit of money .
I'm getting by fine with what I have .

I have no problem waiting TBH.

But thanks for the input

Upvote 0
I'll just throw my 2¢ in here…

I have been using my Dad's 1D mkii + 20D for the past two years .

I upgraded from a 20D to a 7D about 2 years ago and it was a awesome upgrade in most respects. In others I feel that it was a bit of a downgrade, but that may be because I was expecting too much. Let me explain. In my completely subjective opinion I think the pixel quality of the sensor in the 20D was miles better than the 7D for well exposed images. I'm not unhappy with the 7D, but I think that 8MP vs 18MP in a crop sensor was too big of a leap. I seemed to get much more depth and some undefinable quality from the 8MP sensor. Having said that the ability to shoot 8FPS at sporting events, all of the additional controls and features of the 7D have allowed me to capture images that I would not have been able to before.

With the 7D mkii coming out soon it will just be too much money for me

No one knows when or if there will be a 7D mkII, so I would say if you need something now look at what is available now. If you are willing and able to wait, then what is available now will only get cheaper and when/if a 7D mkII comes out you can make an informed decision then.

I chose the 7D because I love the 8FPS on the 1D mkii ,it has a good focusing system alike the 1D mkii,The high iso(I sometimes shoot night sky timelapses),Live view and the large buffer size

The 7D fits the bill on all of those requirements EXCEPT The High ISO/Time lapse. IMHO the 70D seems like a better fit, although we can only go off of marketing info right now, but the 7FPS, the 7D focusing system, newer chip with hopefully better high ISO and built in WiFi which will allow you to control the camera remotly for time lapse. You will also get a image quality bump from the Digic5 processor.

So that's my 2¢. Welcome to CR and please let us know what you decide.

Upvote 0
jbracy said:
I'll just throw my 2¢ in here…

I have been using my Dad's 1D mkii + 20D for the past two years .

I upgraded from a 20D to a 7D about 2 years ago and it was a awesome upgrade in most respects. In others I feel that it was a bit of a downgrade, but that may be because I was expecting too much. Let me explain. In my completely subjective opinion I think the pixel quality of the sensor in the 20D was miles better than the 7D for well exposed images. I'm not unhappy with the 7D, but I think that 8MP vs 18MP in a crop sensor was too big of a leap. I seemed to get much more depth and some undefinable quality from the 8MP sensor. Having said that the ability to shoot 8FPS at sporting events, all of the additional controls and features of the 7D have allowed me to capture images that I would not have been able to before.

With the 7D mkii coming out soon it will just be too much money for me

No one knows when or if there will be a 7D mkII, so I would say if you need something now look at what is available now. If you are willing and able to wait, then what is available now will only get cheaper and when/if a 7D mkII comes out you can make an informed decision then.

I chose the 7D because I love the 8FPS on the 1D mkii ,it has a good focusing system alike the 1D mkii,The high iso(I sometimes shoot night sky timelapses),Live view and the large buffer size

The 7D fits the bill on all of those requirements EXCEPT The High ISO/Time lapse. IMHO the 70D seems like a better fit, although we can only go off of marketing info right now, but the 7FPS, the 7D focusing system, newer chip with hopefully better high ISO and built in WiFi which will allow you to control the camera remotly for time lapse. You will also get a image quality bump from the Digic5 processor.

So that's my 2¢. Welcome to CR and please let us know what you decide.

For now I have decided to wait .
I'm in no rush really.

I'll just have to sit down and wait a few months :mad:

Thanks

Upvote 0
whothafunk said:
if someone is new to the forum does that give him a privilege to write dumbly formed questions? besides, i wasnt paying attention when he registered. its irrelevant.

So Is it worthwhile buying the 7D now if I will not be able to afford 7Dmkii?

if you will not be able to afford the 7DII? the prices wont be released before its release, meaning for atleast 6 months. but you want to buy the 7D NOW. or what. do you want to wait for the 7DII's prices and then buy the 7D now?

Don't know why I'm responding to this, but for the 'tard:
He mentions not being able to afford the 7DII because he knows if he mentions only the 7D, someone will suggest waiting for the 7D2. That leaves the question: What else should he consider against the 7D? The forum gave him a solution that he wouldnt have known if he hadnt asked... and speaking of "dumbly" formed sentences... damn lol

Upvote 0
whothafunk said:
nanook5 said:
I was going on the release price of the original 7D , which for me was about €1700 in Ireland

This is how I will not be able to afford it !!
then why are you asking if you will be able to afford the 7DII, if you already knew before posting this question, that you will not be able to afford it?

At what point did I ask will I be able to afford the 7Dmkii ??

My original question was should I buy the 7D now if I KNOW I won't be able to buy 7Dmkii

I was hoping I would get good responses and I have .

I have been told to wait and get either the 70D or a 7D when the price drops .

Maybe by the time the 7Dmkii (Or the 7D's sucessor) comes out I might be able to afford it .

I'm sorry If my thread is annoying you but this is my first buy and I'm only a teenager ,I don't have a weekly income and also I don't usually spend up and above €1000 of my money in one go .

I needed help and I got help

Thanks

Upvote 0
nanook5 said:
I'm sorry If my thread is annoying you but this is my first buy and I'm only a teenager ,I don't have a weekly income and also I don't usually spend up and above €1000 of my money in one go .

I needed help and I got help

Thanks

First rule of blogs on the Internets Tubes (and especially with photography blogs): Ignore the rude people. It is seldom worth replying to them. Fortunately, you got some really good advice from people here who seem interested in helping people.

Good luck with this. :)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
in defense of the title, we have only so many characters we can use. though, there are better ways to express that query.

to answer the question, it depends on the price. I was selling 60d's for $600 New a while back. if you can get a 7d for 800 or so used, jump on it. if you don't care about video our are willing to install magic lantern, the 50d is still a great camera and can be had for 400+ on Amazon. and that has afma a magnesium core, a joystick, and better shots per second than the 60d.

basically it is a 7d junior.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.