C-Log Addition to Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Not Just a Firmware Update?

Jun 20, 2013
midluk said:
If they need a hardware modification for C-Log, that would likely be a complete replacement of the main board and not for free. Or there is an extension port and some free space to insert a new board to provide some functionality.
But perhaps the hardware modification is for some other feature announced at the same time, like a stronger motor for the mirror for more fps. Or a dedicated crypto processor for image encryption and signing in camera.
Or even no actual hardware modification, but Canon takes some money for the update (I hope further updates can then be performed at home).

proper C-LOG is probably more than hardware. Reading the C300 whitepaper a while ago, I seem to recall that CLOG was an entirely different image pipeline - it basically has to read the raw data, and profile / compressing it differently.

in other words, you can't simply put a flat profile on the video stream and call it a day.

Upvote 0
Re: C-Log Update to Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Not Just a Firmware Update?

Diko said:
Yep. This was definitely an early bird. IMHO it wasn't meant to exist as a rumor here.... But who am I to decide?

That joke with the switches made my day though. :D :D :D

IMHO if there's a service any work from service most probably it would be to install or modify existing fan for better cooling ;-) But something very small, not too fancy and complicated.

Fan? I don't think weather-sealed bodies have fans inside them... unless I'm missing either a joke or some fundamental of design.

Upvote 0
I will bet the reason why you will need to send in your camera is NOT a hardware upgrade but rather Canon keeping their CLOG function close to their chest. The 1DC had at least one firmware update and you had to send in the camera because Canon did not want the firmware to be downloaded. If the firmware becomes available online, hackers such as Magic Lantern could decode it.

Upvote 0
ajay said:
I will bet the reason why you will need to send in your camera is NOT a hardware upgrade but rather Canon keeping their CLOG function close to their chest. The 1DC had at least one firmware update and you had to send in the camera because Canon did not want the firmware to be downloaded. If the firmware becomes available online, hackers such as Magic Lantern could decode it.

If that is the case then all subsequent firmwares would have to be done via Canon service. (Unless somehow clog gets to be stored in a separate location in flash)

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
There is no mention whether or not this will be a service you will have to pay for or not, or if future EOS 5D Mark IV cameras will ship with the feature.

Hmmm. Pay to play? Maybe Canon is going the same route as the car business. Take Porsche. If you want more than four wheels and a gear shift get ready to pony up. :p

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
kphoto99 said:
ajay said:

If that is the case then all subsequent firmwares would have to be done via Canon service. (Unless somehow clog gets to be stored in a separate location in flash)
Shouldnt it depend on the update since all updates aren't equal. Imagine if someone could put log on every Canon camera. It might hurt eos cinema sales.

Upvote 0
Perhaps the camera should be send to service center to replace HDMI 1.3 chip with 1.4x version to be able to have clean HDMI out. It makes sense to get the C-Log added 4K clean stream out via HDMI to be recorded on external recorders with a codec of choice, such as ProRes, that matches the workflow of the user. In this way the requirement of using the MJPEG internal codec will be relaxed with no compromise of reliability.

Upvote 0
bhf3737 said:
Perhaps the camera should be send to service center to replace HDMI 1.3 chip with 1.4x version to be able to have clean HDMI out.
That chip is part of the main circuit board and extremely difficult to replace (BGA). And even if they managed to do that, I doubt there are pin compatible chips available. They would (have to) replace the complete main circuit board.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
Canon Rumors said:
.........adding C-Log to your EOS 5D Mark IV may require a quick trip to Canon service, .......

Quick trip to Canon Service.. LOL.. If two to three months is quick.... Not sure everyone is part of their CPS program or has gear that qualifies. :-D

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
ExodistPhotography said:
Canon Rumors said:
.........adding C-Log to your EOS 5D Mark IV may require a quick trip to Canon service, .......

Quick trip to Canon Service.. LOL.. If two to three months is quick.... Not sure everyone is part of their CPS program or has gear that qualifies. :-D

two to three months? where did you hear that? Once I had to use Canon's service for a lens. I dropped it off at their service center and was able to pick it up in 4 days. I am lucky to have one little over an hour drive

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
goldenhusky said:
ExodistPhotography said:
Canon Rumors said:

two to three months? where did you hear that? Once I had to use Canon's service for a lens. I dropped it off at their service center and was able to pick it up in 4 days. I am lucky to have one little over an hour drive
+1 At least here in Germany. I and a friend had to deal with them a few times and even with shipping in both directions it was always done within 2 weeks.

Of course this could be different on the Philippines, where ExodistPhotography lives. I don't know.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
If this is true, it's proof for the Canon defenders that they effed up on the video features. Or, proof that Canon is holding back features intentionally. Of course, those of us who have been nagging about better 4K already know this. It's a good sign because after the incredible demand for the GH5 as a video-focused camera, it means Canon may be finally ready to admit they are leaving money on the table by hobbling their DSLR video offerings.

Best case scenario for the 5DIV / 6DII is that they offer C-Log, a FF or 1.3x crop function, a more efficient codec, and a higher-res image in 4K mode. What will likely happen is that they will offer some of this in the 5DIV and leave the 6DII with the same hobbled video features the 5DIV has now.

Upvote 0