Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

pleeaassseee!

A 28 1.8 that fits in a jacket pocket!!
The only problem with these inexpensive non-L primes is that they are all very soft in the corners due to the distortions. The 16 2.8, 24 1.8 and 35 1.8 are great in the center and soft on the edges. For casual shooting, though, I love them.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
Meanwhile, Canon keeps on dominating the market, remaining with just under a 50% market share, which is greater than the next three competitors combined.
Clearly they'll be bigger than basically most their competitiors combined if they are at just under 50%. ;)

I'm looking forward to the 28mm. I worry a 1.4L would cost as much as the 1.2L primes.

Upvote 0
A development announcement for the R1 in April, followed by a later announcement, will be cutting it very fine for the Paris Olympics from 26 July to 11 August 2024.

Not really, Canon will be on hand at the Olympics with a ton of kit that they make available to agencies and CPS members. So the camera does not be in retail for them to put it in hands at the Olympics.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
So did I read correctly: no announcements before CP+?
Canon didn't release anything between Jan 1st 2021 and CP+ 2021 either, but they did before CP+ 2020 (1DX Mark III, T8i/850D, RF24-105/4-7.1), CP+ 2022 (R5C, 800L, 1200L), and CP+ 2023 (R8, R50, 24-50, 55-210).

It would be unusual but not unprecedented.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
I would think they'd HAVE to have the flagship body officially released before the Olympics. If they only have prototypes than that means there wouldn't be any final firmware and no way to process any RAW files at the Olympics? That sounds crazy to me.
Wire service photographers usually shoot JPEG at the Olympics.

If RAW capability was really needed, after the development announcement, they can work with Adobe to create a profile for the camera before the official release.

At the very least, they can use pre-release Canon DPP software to adjust white balance and exposure, and just export as TIFF and bring it into their editor of choice after.

They can release the camera internally (i.e. pencils down, everything's done, full production), just without general availability until after the Olympics as well.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Do you believe many photographers at the Olympics shoot RAW?
I think it would depend on the outlet the photographer is working for.

Reuters, AP, AFP? Definitely JPEG and their photos are on the wire one minute after the shot is taken. Sports Illustrated? I can see them shooting RAW+JPEG because they are potentially shooting for magazine covers and articles where heavier editing is likely, as well as news.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I wouldn't worry about the R1, its availability, software, editing profiles etc... in relation to the French Olympics.
Canon have enough experience, they'll sure be well prepared, as usual.
Agencies and pros will get what they want and need.
Far too much is at stake, improvisation is not to be feared!

Upvote 0
Things have been eerily quite in the land of Canon leading into the CP+ tradeshow later this month, and after my latest conversation with an accurate source, I think we know why. This source doesn’t comment ahead of time on all new product releases, but when they do, they have been 100% correct. The source

See full article...
Indeed, quite quiet! :cool:

• Love
Upvote 0
I've suspected that the R5II would come soon. Last November 2023, Japan had a large price drop in the retail of the R5. The price has stayed pretty stable for the entire production of the R5. So it was a good indicator that something newer is coming.
I doubt Canon is taking a loss on the discounted price of the R5, for example, which speaks to the pre-discount margins. But Canon has already stated that lenses drive more profits than bodies, and they're refreshed much less frequently.
Not just in Japan either!
Australian prices have permanently dropped as well. No return to the ~AUD6k RRP.
Currently available for AUD4588 (USD2700 ex tax)
From release at USD3900, B&H currently has standard price of USD3400 and now with USD400 discount to USD3k ie a 30% decrease but....
Canon definitely still has margin on it ie they aren't dumping it but flushing out any excess stock in the supply chain.
Perhaps Canon are reacting to the Z8 currently @ USD3800 as it would be hard to justify similar pricing even if switchers would be small.

It fits the product lifecycle curve ready for product volumes decline after cashcow/maturity phase.
All points to a replacement body soon :)

Upvote 0