Canon 16-35 f/2.8 DO Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
dstppy said:
DJL329 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think there are any EF lenses with IS (not EF-S!) that do not reach at least 100mm. Therefore, I doubt this (or even the oft-rumored 24-70mm f/2.8L II) will have IS.

Wow, I just checked and that (currently) appears to be the case . . .

For Canon, yes. But Nikon has an FX-format 16-35mm lens with VR...

Upvote 0
C

Cropper

This lens makes absolutely no sense to me, and should probably be another one of those patents that will never see the light of day.

I just can´t see how such a lens could surpass the current 16-35, particularly considering the weak IQ (lack of contrast, sharpness and sometimes terrible halo fringing), not to mention the hefty pricetag that is normaly associated with DO.
It seems that presently the only real advantage of DO is the ability to reduce the size and weight of a lens, which in this case is not really an issue.

However even with it's current flaws and shortcomings I do think that the DO technology is a very interesting concept and if properly developed could breed some great lenses in the future, specially if applied to long super telephoto lenses.
The 600 f5.6 DO patent that was issued some time ago seemed to make a lot more sense and if produced could be a very good solution for someone (like me !) considering a very long focal length that is still compact and handholdable.

Upvote 0
Cropper said:
I just can´t see how such a lens could surpass the current 16-35, particularly considering the weak IQ (lack of contrast, sharpness and sometimes terrible halo fringing), not to mention the hefty pricetag that is normaly associated with DO.
I just can't see how you are making such comments based on a lens that you haven't used.

Yes, the DO lenses traditionally have these weaknesses - but the last DO lenses released are over half a decade old, too. I wouldn't expect Canon to have all the demons totally worked out by this point, but I personally think it's encouraging that they're still trying.

If they manage to make the lens more compact (hopefully that results in a closer minimum focus, though obviously it doesn't guarantee it), if not lighter, that is reason enough for them to keep trying. One of the purposes of Canon's continued patent applications is that they prevent some other party from running with a technology like this when it's ready for prime time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.