Canon 1D X - HDR First frame always shaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2011
I have taken a series of HDR shots today using my 1D X and 24-105L lens. I have also used a tripod and the camera is set to auto bracketing (5 exposures). In just about every series of shots the very first picture has camera shake and the other 4 exposures are sharp. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem before and if it is possibly the Image Stabalizing motor causing the shake? What is strange is that it is for instance a 3 sec exposure that is shaky but the longer exposures are perfect... This is very confusing!

Aug 22, 2011
nightbreath said:
Do you press shutter release button for the first picture to be taken?

Uhhh.... Isn't the shutter release button supposed to be pressed? ;D Sorry I know what you mean and I am not using a cable release, but I press the button exactly the same way with all 5 exposures and it is always only the first exposure that shows camera shake. I will experiment a bit more but I do recall I had some issues with sharpness before using the camera on a tripod with IS switched on.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2012
sanj said:
brett b said:
How are you triggering the shutter? If you're simply pressing the shutter button, it's likely you are causing the movement.

Do explain because that is how I take my pictures and want to learn a better way. Thx.

these are basics! .......1DX user..............................................

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2011
eddiemrg said:
sanj said:
brett b said:
How are you triggering the shutter? If you're simply pressing the shutter button, it's likely you are causing the movement.

Do explain because that is how I take my pictures and want to learn a better way. Thx.

these are basics! .......1DX user..............................................

Thank you for your EXTREMELY valuable input! I thought basics mean that you read a question PROPERLY before answering it

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2011
paolotaverna said:
So indeed,

1- Do not use the IS when on tripod
2- Use shutter release with a delay (2 seconds or 10 seconds )

let us know how it goes
have a good one.

It is indeed the Image Stabalizing! I tested some more images today and when the image stabalising is switched off, the first frame is fine, but when it is on, I get camera shake... I know this sounds like exactly the opposite of what should be working, but it seems the IS doesn't like it when the lens is beign held still by a tripod ;D

It also looks like it is happening more in the f18-f22 range and when the camera is slightly tilted upwards. Looks like the Image Stabalizer kicks in for a second to see if it should stabalise and the vibrations causes the camera shake.

Thanks for the input

Upvote 0
hhelmbold said:
It is indeed the Image Stabalizing! I tested some more images today and when the image stabalising is switched off, the first frame is fine, but when it is on, I get camera shake... I know this sounds like exactly the opposite of what should be working, but it seems the IS doesn't like it when the lens is beign held still by a tripod ;D

Ehm, no offense... But again some basics.... ;)

Upvote 0
Raddy said:
hhelmbold said:

It's the basics that gets overlooked the most ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Raddy said:
hhelmbold said:

I am not so sure if it is THAT basic!

Upvote 0
Pfffff... a lot of useless posts, Nobody knows everything, ok?? ::)

Some tips for hdr or tripod shooting:

- Almost all the lenses induces movement when used on tripod, as a rule of thumb, when you use the tripod, switch the IS Off

- Use a remote shutter, cable or wireless

- If you don't have a remote shutter, use a 2 sec delay shutter

- Its useful to use mirror lockup to eliminate the mirror shaking when taking the picture

Good luck

Upvote 0
Silent mode at least on the 5D3 also helps with the camera shake on a tripod.

Cptn Rigo said:
Pfffff... a lot of useless posts, Nobody knows everything, ok?? ::)

Some tips for hdr or tripod shooting:

- Almost all the lenses induces movement when used on tripod, as a rule of thumb, when you use the tripod, switch the IS Off

- Use a remote shutter, cable or wireless

- If you don't have a remote shutter, use a 2 sec delay shutter

- Its useful to use mirror lockup to eliminate the mirror shaking when taking the picture

Good luck

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.