Canon 5D Mark II Price Drops March 4, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
LetTheRightLensIn said:
But yeah $3500 body only will be a lot tougher to fund if they instantly drop price for new copies of 5D2. You would think they would realize this and not dump the price on it right away but I guess they want to clear them out before it is too late.

I don't think Canon is all that concerned about how much existing 5DII owners sell their used 5DMII for. They care about sales of new cameras.

The question is - will the 5DII stay around as a part of the product line for a reasonable length of time. Does Canon think there is room in their product line for a $2,000 FF Camera? Maybe the Christmas pricing was not completely about bleeding down inventory, but also was a test market for the $2,000 price point. A lot of people jumped at that pricing, even knowing a replacement camera was around the corner.

Entry level price for FF starting at $3,500 would leave a significant portion of the FF market behind, and that would be bad for Canon. If those entry-level FF buyers go with Nikon, then they will buy Nikon glass and it will be much harder for them to switch over in the future - if ever.

As others have mentioned, you get into a SLR system with your first FF camera and eventually start building a lens collection - and then you are somewhat locked into the manufacturer.

It would be a mistake for Canon to ignore this market segment, so lowering the price of the 5DII and having a solid entry level price point makes good sense to me.

Upvote 0
papa-razzi said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
But yeah $3500 body only will be a lot tougher to fund if they instantly drop price for new copies of 5D2. You would think they would realize this and not dump the price on it right away but I guess they want to clear them out before it is too late.

I don't think Canon is all that concerned about how much existing 5DII owners sell their used 5DMII for. They care about sales of new cameras.

They will be if people can't sell their 5D2 for a high enough price to go and buy the 5D3 and give them new sales. ;)

It would be a mistake for Canon to ignore this market segment, so lowering the price of the 5DII and having a solid entry level price point makes good sense to me.

yes, but at least give us a little time to sell our 5D2 first :)

Upvote 0
A

archangelrichard

Isn't this a standard practice with Japanese companies, to reduce the price of a product to eliminate inventory then introduce a new product at or near that original price point?

It's called "defending the price point" in business; they have created an expectation of product X having a certain value so the replacement steps into that part of the lineup and they discount remaining inventory of the original (although in some markets - like CARS - you do adjust for inflation)

Canon is just signalling that the days of the 5D Mk II are over, trying to help retailers clear their shelves and not get stuck with a bunch of Mk II's when the Mk III's (or "X" 's) come out as there are far too many people FAD oriented who just buy the newest, latest, and greatest regardless of what it's really worth, just to have it.

I always have to laugh at the people who carry around a 5D or 7D and ask me about my classes - they have no real idea how to use it except as a fully auto (green box mode) "snapshot" point and shoot camera and just had too much money and too little common sense

The 5D Mk II is a value at $2K, the Mk II will be a value at it's price and you decide how much value you need and can afford just like the difference between a 60D and a 7D.

For an idea of how soon this means the Mk III will be out look at the time it took from price reductions on the 50D to stores selling out to the 60D shipping

Get it?

Upvote 0
I've been saying for a while that I dont think canon will stop making the 5Dmk2 that instead they will just drop the price to $1999 and occupy that price point as the entry level Full Frame. It's a $1000 give or take difference which is a large gap. It's still a good camera, its still good value at that money and they will still sell tons of them
the model has most likely paid for itself manytimes over and keeping the model alive is just gravy for canon
look they kept the 550D around well after the 600D came out
nikon did the same with the d90
they are still cabable cameras just shift them into a new price point which opens up buysers that are looking in a lower price point.
I really think they dont give a damn about what happens to used prices as they have already made their money off them.
Thats just the reality of the marketing machine

Upvote 0
In the U.K the 5d mkii can currently be bought for £1500. It sounds to me like they might reduce the price to £1300 ish, then price the new camera at £2300 ish which is roughly the same as the nikon d800. This would make sense to me. Like some of you have said £1000 instead of £1500 sounds like a more reasonable upgrade price (depending on full specs being seen). It would also keep them very competitive with nikon, and this was the msrp of the 5dmkii when it was released (according to amazon u.k via camel camel)

Upvote 0
Nikon are also rumoured to be going down this road with the D700; they have additional complications with the battery issue (but this doesn't affect overseas sales). The question is (as others have previously asked) whether this is simply running down remaining stocks, or whether Canon intend to keep the 5D MkII in production for a bit longer. Here is Thom Hogan's take on Nikons position with regard to the D700: http://www.bythom.com/

Upvote 0
I said it before and will say it again, this is a good move by canon for all of us. the mkii is a very good camera, but no way is it still $2500 good, not in the face of the mkiii and the d800. And yes, it does correct the used market too. used mkii's will be able to drop to a more reasonable price ($1400-1800). I believe the used market was artificially high do to the combination of the new price going up, and people holding onto their bodies (scarcity = supply low and demand high).

In a way too, it may not lead to current mkii owners getting as much as they thought they'd get on their mkii (again, artificially high resale prices of $1900-2200) - but - it will lead to a quicker sale!

I'm sure there are many out there in a similar place as me, on a 7d and looking to move to FF but watching the market and waiting for the right time. I came close to pulling the trigger on a used mkii a few times these past 2 months, but just couldn't bring myself to spend 2K on a used body with who knows how many shutter actuation on it. At that point, manswell just wait and save and get the mkiii. So while you may be like, oh crap, there goes the resale value, once the market is flooded with mkii's, only the highest quality used bodies will be tagged at $1900 - and sorry, if you've had your mkii for 3 years and used it heavily, its not worth $1900...

Now things may change though, with the new price being corrected down to $2100, and the mkiii about to be released - we should see more mkii's used for a reasonable price

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.