Canon 60D makes noise when cleaning sensor???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had 60D 14 months now and noticed when I turn off and when senor is cleaning I can hear motor or something running,,, I don't recall hearing this noise before but has anyone experience this issue?

It does not have affect on pictures but it's annoying.,,, Did contact Canon but they want to charge $180-$290 for labor plus parts or they also have refurbished program where I can upgrade/downgrade to 7D, 50D, Rebel T1i, Rebel T2i, and the Rebel XS which carries a 90 day warranty.....

Any thoughts??

L

Leopard Lupus

I had a 60D for a few months before deciding to spring for the 7D, but in the time I did shoot with it, I experienced the same thing and wrote it off as something normal. I bought mine new in the US from a Canon certified retailer, just incase anyone is wanting to know. I didn't consider the noise to be annoying, but it could be something other than what I mine did. It was more a bird *cheep cheep* noise...
Anyways, have you tried taking it in to a local camera shop? If they have a floor model, maybe you could compare the noises. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Do keep in mind that issues like this are somewhat subjective. I have a whistle that makes no noise, but for some reason it bothers dogs. ;) We all have different thresholds and frequency sensitivities. I can't hear the cleaning sounds outside or even inside with normal household activity - then, I'd call it silent, too. But in a very quiet environment, the sound is there.

Upvote 0
m3tek44 said:
I have had 60D 14 months now and noticed when I turn off and when senor is cleaning I can hear motor or something running,,, I don't recall hearing this noise before but has anyone experience this issue?

It does not have affect on pictures but it's annoying.,,, Did contact Canon but they want to charge $180-$290 for labor plus parts or they also have refurbished program where I can upgrade/downgrade to 7D, 50D, Rebel T1i, Rebel T2i, and the Rebel XS which carries a 90 day warranty.....

Any thoughts??

Mine does not do this.

Upvote 0
L

Leopard Lupus

To second what was said above, even if you never went to loud concerts in your youth, we all have different levels of hearing. Select tones are audible to some, and not to others. For example: My 18 year old brother can hear my 5D mk ll sensor cleaning, while my 50+ year old father can't hear a thing. With the 3 cameras I have owned (60D, 7D and 5D mkll) I am able to hear the double *chirp* regardless of the body.

Upvote 0
Y

Yoshiyuki Blade

My old Rebel XTi made low pitched humming noises (maybe about 5 peaks) and now my 5DII makes a high frequency noise (about 2 noticeable "chirps" as described by neuro). If you can't hear it, then it's probably a problem with your hearing. :D Hell, my dad can't even hear an IS running unless the lens is right up against his ear. I've noticed this since day 1 of both cameras, so I'm pretty confident that's normal.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.