Canon 60D v. Nikon D7000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Rocky said:
Can you tell me what are the "pro feature" that is missing on the 60D??

This would be my list of 'pro' features that the 7D has and the 60D lacks (but note that I am not a pro!):

• AF microadjustment
  • Lifespan of 50,000 more shutter actuations
  • 8 fps shooting speed
  • CF card (faster data transfers than SD)
  • PC sync socket (flash control)
  • Dual-axis electronic level (the 60D has only horizontal) - ok, I'm kidding on that one being a 'pro' feature :p

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

neuroanatomist said:
Rocky said:
Can you tell me what are the "pro feature" that is missing on the 60D??

This would be my list of 'pro' features that the 7D has and the 60D lacks (but note that I am not a pro!):

• AF microadjustment
  • 8 fps shooting speed
  • CF card (faster data transfers than SD)
  • PC sync socket (flash control)
  • Dual-axis electronic level (the 60D has only horizontal) - ok, I'm kidding on that one being a 'pro' feature :p
I would't really agree on that...

- AF Microadjustment is commonly "abused" to do some minor corrections to misbehaving lenses. "Pros" should use this in "emergency"-cases when for example the body was dropped when beeing on location and the only possibility to get the job done is by "fixing" it directly. For all other cases "Pros" can just go and make use of CPS.
- Lifespan might be a "Pro"-Feature. I'm on your side at this point.
- 8 FPS is not what I would consider a "pro feature". Neither 1ds (I, II, III) nor 5d (I, II) deliver such an amount of fps - it's just the placement for what the camera is made for. None of the "Pros" I know who do studiostuff or wedding which keep a 7d as backup-body bought it for the high fps-count.
- CF-Card is argueable too. Some photokina presented sd-cards reach pretty much the same speed as common high-quality cf-cards. The bottleneck on here is the controller - and I must admit, I have no clue what the limit of 60d's controller is. Considering that the cam allows HD-Video and similar to 7D 50fps@720p, I would guess, that canon did a major improvement to sd-controllers of 550D and 60D to make them able to write the data.
- PC-Sync: Here I'm totally with you. I don't really get, why they did remove it. Might be, because of the more and more common use of radio-triggers but this defenatly is a feature that's missing compared to a "Pro-Body".
- Electronic Level is more some kind like "nice to have" but I don't think any "pro" in architecture oder landscape or whatsoever would give a greater trust in the build-in-level over the level on his tripods-head. ;-)

In Opposite what makes the 60d more "pro" than 7D is all about video-related stuff.
- Manual Gain Control. This is - for serious filmers one of the biggest problems with 7d and a big plus for 60d. Some of the more serious filmers consider the 5d mkII (which has the manual-feature) as "pretty hard to handle" in case of depth of field-situations due to the sensor-size. So 7d came in pretty welcome but without the other "pro feature" that is now brougt by 60d
- Articulating Screen is nothing seriosly "pro" when it comes to video in first case, since using some kind of display-loope or even better a bigger live-screen is more common in "pro-video". But the main advantage of dslr vs. 35mm film or "professional" digital-gear is the size of the cameras. And at this point, I guess, this might be very welcome by some "video-pros", when it comes to situations where you just can't handle your rig very well (eg inside a car).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
MintMark said:
neuroanatomist said:

I don't know where your figure came from, but a quick web search shows respectable review sites (like The Digital Picture and Imaging Resource) quoting the 60D shutter lifetime as 100000 cycles, the same as the 50D.

Perhaps you have a reference for this?

I wasn't comparing the 60D to the 50D, but to the 7D:

neuroanatomist said:
This would be my list of 'pro' features that the 7D has and the 60D lacks...

You can go to either of the respectable review sites you mention and see that the shutter lifespan of the 7D is rated at 150,000 actuations, which is 50,000 more shutter actuations than the 60D.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
You can go to either of the respectable review sites you mention and see that the shutter lifespan of the 7D is rated at 150,000 actuations, which is 50,000 more shutter actuations than the 60D.

I do apologise. I completely mis-understood your point. That should teach me to post on the internet last thing at night after a long day.

Sorry for disturbing the thread...

Mark

Upvote 0
Sorry for whining once again, but I've got to rant on that new iPod style click wheel. It's terrible. And I dont think it's a situation where you'll get used to it and love it, it's just a bad implementation that is made worse because they already had a superior design that was unique to Canon. The Joystick.

The click wheel has two major issues.
1) Unresponsive - It requires a lot of effort in order to get it to respond and with such limited focus points it gets in the way. And getting to those diagonal focus zones is pretty tough because it just doesn't go diagonal very well. ESPECIALLY compared to the rubbery feel of the Canon Joystick or the Nikon direction pad that they use on their higher end models.

2) Location - I have normal sized hands but reaching the click-wheel is an awkward motion without having the left hand supporting the camera weight. I don't get why they felt putting a wheel INSIDE another wheel made sense but it was unecessary. Some apologists will say that it's because of the swivel screen but they could have easily designed this with both the swivel screen AND joystick.

I'm not trying to rip on the 60D. In fact, I'm still considering keeping it because of the huge price difference between this and the 7D. BUT, considering how many homeruns Canon has been hitting lately then I'm surprised that they released a product with so many problems (personal opinion). And I'm not sure if this means the Public may agree, but when the 7D came out it was sold out everywhere but at my local Best Buys then they've got stacks of 60D's.

Upvote 0
urkel said:
Sorry for whining once again, but I've got to rant on that new iPod style click wheel. It's terrible. And I dont think it's a situation where you'll get used to it and love it, it's just a bad implementation that is made worse because they already had a superior design that was unique to Canon. The Joystick.

The click wheel has two major issues.
1) Unresponsive - It requires a lot of effort in order to get it to respond and with such limited focus points it gets in the way. And getting to those diagonal focus zones is pretty tough because it just doesn't go diagonal very well. ESPECIALLY compared to the rubbery feel of the Canon Joystick or the Nikon direction pad that they use on their higher end models.

2) Location - I have normal sized hands but reaching the click-wheel is an awkward motion without having the left hand supporting the camera weight. I don't get why they felt putting a wheel INSIDE another wheel made sense but it was unecessary. Some apologists will say that it's because of the swivel screen but they could have easily designed this with both the swivel screen AND joystick.

I'm not trying to rip on the 60D. In fact, I'm still considering keeping it because of the huge price difference between this and the 7D. BUT, considering how many homeruns Canon has been hitting lately then I'm surprised that they released a product with so many problems (personal opinion). And I'm not sure if this means the Public may agree, but when the 7D came out it was sold out everywhere but at my local Best Buys then they've got stacks of 60D's.

I actually find it easier to select the corner focus points using the wheel compared to the joystick (I had a 50D before). I don't really have a problem with the position of the wheel, but I do wish it had some tactile feedback so that it feels like a positive click when you use it.

I use the camera in the dark so it will take me a while to find the new buttons by touch since they are more flush with the body now.

Upvote 0
heri11 said:
Nikon D7000 is the best DSLR Camera. Because the Nikon D7000 includes a range of new features to ensure superior image quality including 16.2 effective megapixels with the newly developed Nikon DX format CMOS image sensor.

Pros
1. 16.2 MP image sensor
2. weather sealing similar to the D300
3. AMAZING ISO range (100-6400) and lack of noise in low light
4. FAST burst speeds, up to 6 fps
5. 12&14 bit selectable RAW files
6. twin SD card slots
7. ergonomics identical to D90

Cons
1. still unable to shoot 1080p video at 30 fps
2. RAW files not yet recognized by 3rd party software at time of this writing
3. still not weight balanced when using larger telephoto zoom lens