Canon announcements will continue as previously planned

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As the days go by and more and more information comes in from around the world, I'm increasingly skeptical that Canon can maintain their planned release and shipping schedule.

The 1Dx III should provide evidence of that. The 1Dx II was readily available at this same point when it was released, but there is no stock available anywhere in the U.S. for the 1Dx III, which is pretty strong evidence of problems -- whether it is in manufacturing or supply chain, who knows?

We are seeing strong evidence that the government in China is vastly understating the true extent of COVID-19 there and I've seen recent stories critical of the Japanese government for not taking more aggressive action to slow the spread. I don't think it is realistic to expect that the camera industry is some island that will be unaffected by all of this. I can see Canon proceeding with its announcements, but whether or not anyone will be able to obtain the camera when it is finally released remains to be seen.

If Canon cannot meet demand for the 1Dx III, which sells far fewer bodies, it's hard to see them being able to meet demand for these highly anticipated models. Pre-order on announcement day and hope to get the body sometime in 2021?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I met a photographer at an event a month ago who was a Sony user so I asked him what made him choose Sony. He said the price was right....then casually mentioned this was his second Sony body because the sensor died in his first one a few weeks after the warranty expired; but that that was OK since he wanted a newer body anyway. I know...just one user, one case, millions sold etc etc but it still blew my mind that he thought camera bodies were supposed to be so disposable.

Why didn't you ask him if the price of both of those bodies was still less than one body that would have lasted a lot longer?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
As the days go by and more and more information comes in from around the world, I'm increasingly skeptical that Canon can maintain their planned release and shipping schedule...

Singapore is tiny, so maybe it doesn't mean much, but I'm surprised by its "second wave" issues, and just now, finally, closing down. Really not sure if such a tiny state is a bell weather, but this slog just goes on and on. Sweden next?

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
As the days go by and more and more information comes in from around the world, I'm increasingly skeptical that Canon can maintain their planned release and shipping schedule.

The 1Dx III should provide evidence of that. The 1Dx II was readily available at this same point when it was released, but there is no stock available anywhere in the U.S. for the 1Dx III, which is pretty strong evidence of problems -- whether it is in manufacturing or supply chain, who knows?

We are seeing strong evidence that the government in China is vastly understating the true extent of COVID-19 there and I've seen recent stories critical of the Japanese government for not taking more aggressive action to slow the spread. I don't think it is realistic to expect that the camera industry is some island that will be unaffected by all of this. I can see Canon proceeding with its announcements, but whether or not anyone will be able to obtain the camera when it is finally released remains to be seen.

If Canon cannot meet demand for the 1Dx III, which sells far fewer bodies, it's hard to see them being able to meet demand for these highly anticipated models. Pre-order on announcement day and hope to get the body sometime in 2021?

Compared to other goods a camera body is reasonably complex: While cars have 100 ECUs, most of them with the computing power of a camera body, that should give some relation both in terms of supply chain complexity and amount of "pieces" needed for one copy. Take this and the fact that reduced production volume meets lower demand, we might see some shortage/delay but probably not much more.

Upvote 0
Funny to see comparisons of the R5 to a Cinema camera. Inema cameras always cost a lot more than a stills centric camera for several reasons. While the R5 will have 8K recording there is no saying how it will be managed.
If Canon prices the upcoming cameras on a spec level for £4k for an R5 it will be a market failure. It may be a stunning camera and I want one, but it will not do what it needs to for the Camera market which is a diminished and more cut throat market now of enthusiasts and professionals.
What Canon needs to do is not look at single unit sales but market share and profit through sale numbers. With that in mind and I have said it before it needs to be priced against the A7R4 which is for me its closest competition and with that now to be had for £3k or less the R5 will need to be competitive. Canon are big but as we have seen with other markets price is what wins the day, the best products arent always the ones that succeed if they aren't deemed obtainable or to be the best value.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Funny to see comparisons of the R5 to a Cinema camera. Inema cameras always cost a lot more than a stills centric camera for several reasons. While the R5 will have 8K recording there is no saying how it will be managed.
If Canon prices the upcoming cameras on a spec level for £4k for an R5 it will be a market failure. It may be a stunning camera and I want one, but it will not do what it needs to for the Camera market which is a diminished and more cut throat market now of enthusiasts and professionals.
What Canon needs to do is not look at single unit sales but market share and profit through sale numbers. With that in mind and I have said it before it needs to be priced against the A7R4 which is for me its closest competition and with that now to be had for £3k or less the R5 will need to be competitive. Canon are big but as we have seen with other markets price is what wins the day, the best products arent always the ones that succeed if they aren't deemed obtainable or to be the best value.

I do believe the R5 will be priced at $3499 at launch. I do, I do.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I don't see how the release schedule and roll out won't be delayed. I live in Osaka, and as of last night 7 of Japan's most populous prefectures have fallen under a state of emergency. Granted, it's not legally enforceable the way it might be in the United States or other countries, but I imagine major companies that are highly respected are going to meet halfway, if not fully comply. Maybe Canon won't be affected since I don't think they operate out of any of the locked down areas, but still, I don't see how this can't affect them and their time table. Really looking forward to this camera, but until then I hope everyone is staying safe both here and abroad.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I don't see how the release schedule and roll out won't be delayed. I live in Osaka, and as of last night 7 of Japan's most populous prefectures have fallen under a state of emergency. Granted, it's not legally enforceable the way it might be in the United States or other countries, but I imagine major companies that are highly respected are going to meet halfway, if not fully comply. Maybe Canon won't be affected since I don't think they operate out of any of the locked down areas, but still, I don't see how this can't affect them and their time table. Really looking forward to this camera, but until then I hope everyone is staying safe both here and abroad.

They're gonna release the camera digitally, but there will undoubtedly be limited stocks. Too be perfectly honest, I don't imagine there will be alot of ppl leaping to buy the R5 at release anyways. Money is short and unemployment is high nowadays.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
So if they are able to make an announcement, then the cameras will just build and ship themselves, right?

Pretty much. No sane manufacturer would build their products only AFTER their official announcement. I'm sure there are already sufficient amounts in place to satisfy the initial wave of orders. With industrial automation nowadays, the cameras can be built with little human intervention. Shipping is the only labor intensive part.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Pretty much. No sane manufacturer would build their products only AFTER their official announcement. I'm sure there are already sufficient amounts in place to satisfy the initial wave of orders. With industrial automation nowadays, the cameras can be built with little human intervention. Shipping is the only labor intensive part.

Much of international shipping, particularly from the Pacific Rim, has been in limbo since early February. It would not surprise me at all if the units already finished are still sitting in containers in a port in Japan. Even without the current situation, for a camera with a planned release in July, I doubt they would have shipped the first wave before late March or Early April to arrive at Dealers in late June.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0