Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

Have we not been through this over last several years? 4k is not needed etc? Yes I will shoot 8k when can and publish it in 4k or 2k but shooting at 8k will be so FLEXIBLE.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but we're nowhere near it. Presenting 8K is currently a waste of space, but space is cheap. 1080P is the standard and will be for a few years more yet. I work on a 4K laptop and it's just wasted pixels, the average person can not appreciate it, I downsize my content for the greatest audience. 4K will become the standard and eventually so will 8K but the majority of the planet are just not there. Once they get there, this iteration of the 5 series will cost less than $1K. My day jobs is IT Architect, my side hustle is photography. I'd like to think I know how technology ebbs and flows. This is Canon's "look at me I can still compete" moment, it's a nice one but it is what it is....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not sure if IBIS will work with RF IS lenses only or include EF IS lenses. I haven't seen any confirmation either way.

R5 may disable one of the two systems if EF IS lenses are used. This could be for technical reasons or marketing reasons - i.e. they want you to upgrade to RF lenses to get the full Monty i.e. cripple hammer.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

I'm not saying it won't happen, but we're nowhere near it. Presenting 8K is currently a waste of space, but space is cheap. 1080P is the standard and will be for a few years more yet. I work on a 4K laptop and it's just wasted pixels, the average person can not appreciate it, I downsize my content for the greatest audience. 4K will become the standard and eventually so will 8K but the majority of the planet are just not there. Once they get there, this iteration of the 5 series will cost less than $1K. My day jobs is IT Architect, my side hustle is photography. I'd like to think I know how technology ebbs and flows. This is Canon's "look at me I can still compete" moment, it's a nice one but it is what it is....
I so disagree. 8k will make the files look better and will allow me to crop, do electronic dolly moves etc etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I guess he has similar mind set as I usually have. Shoot the best possible quality, as it mostly impacts post process time but gives you more freedom.

One time I was shooting music performance, just had 4k videocam on trippod at the back of the room. I edited it into several 1080p sections and many 720p (upscaled to 1080p), plus added some panning around too. For final edit I did cutting between the sections depending where was action, panning etc and exported at 1080p. When I sent to the group leader, he was asking how many cameras and helpers I had there (since he knew I was backstage shooting other stuff). Didn't tell my magic that I only had one 4k camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
yes I would. And I would radically reduce the number of different Rebels and DSLRs.

I bet a "100% pure stills" EOS R model with 35-40MP, 8fps, excellent AF, state of the art EVF, great DR & High ISO, IBIS, dual SD UHS-II slots, only internal video feed for EVF, priced at 1999 would sell extremely well.
And you'd lose the bet. Canon already knows that would be a loser.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I'd be willing to bet this will be a $6K camera. 8K video? the people capable of viewing it are very rare although it admittedly gives a ton of flexibility in post. I've delivered photos to hundreds of clients and printed as large as they've ever requested with my 5DIII & my Fuji X-T2. My days of a $20K kit when you add great glass and strobes is over. Canon will NOT price this body competitively, it's just not the way they do things. Love the specs, but would never spend that kind of money again on a body that will be equaled or bested by competitors in 2 years or less. I'll just live vicariously through those that have the disposable income for this camera.
$6k is way too close to the 1DXIII. I'd say $4500 is tops.

Upvote 0
Hoe much money and time do jou waste on switching brands?
I came out even financially, and have been floored by the low-light quality from the Sony rig. I REALLY miss Canon's color science, the ergonomics, and menu system, but I wanted 4k video with af and sound recording in slow-mo... Canon had nothing.
Still no word if the R5 will allow sound with slow motion either, but fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I'm not sure if IBIS will work with RF IS lenses only or include EF IS lenses. I haven't seen any confirmation either way.

R5 may disable one of the two systems if EF IS lenses are used. This could be for technical reasons or marketing reasons - i.e. they want you to upgrade to RF lenses to get the full Monty i.e. cripple hammer.
Read the release and the reports. Canon said RF and EF lenses.

Upvote 0
ya, you should have waited. lesson learned.
I've been really happy with the Sony and definitely have zero regrets from switching. What I've been able to capture in the past year was worth it. I'll go with whatever brand can give me what I need.
Canon had no ff 4k slow-mo with af or sound.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
That would be fantastic. I can't see it happening though. I think with EF glass, you'll need to choose either IBIS or IS. RF glass will do a combo.
Canon please prove me wrong! :D
They clearly said the R5 IBIS works with the IS in RF AND EF lenses. It may turn out that it works a bit better with RF lenses, but it does work with both.

Upvote 0
I suppose, in the future, we'll have to miss all these funny "Canon's cripple hammer" features on Youtube.
Let's shed crocodile tears for all the unemployed trolls, I'll regret them...
What if we all bought some Sonies to save the company from bankrupcy ?

Camera Conspiracies is funny as heck. I am a Canon guy but love his channel. I don't think anyone watches that channel for gear advice.

Upvote 0
I so disagree. 8k will make the files look better and will allow me to crop, do electronic dolly moves etc etc.

I agree with this, where I disagree is in who will be able to take advantage of it. I won't notice any of those things on my phone, my digital photo frame, my television or my overpriced monitor. I'm not saying it's not an improvement, I'm saying most will not know the difference and definitely will not pay for it. I applaud you for pushing the envelope, but the majority of the planet is 2 generations behind you. At the end of the day, you will have purchased another mega expensive camera before your admittedly good work (I visited your page and I like it very much) can be appreciated in it's full resolution glory. I'm not anyone's antagonist here, just introducing a dose of real life. Who spends this kind of money to not get paid? That number is very low despite everyone screaming "shut up and take my money!!"

Upvote 0