Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

Diko said:
AlanF said:
Diko said:
Anyone knowing a reliable european grey market reseller?

And as I asked before: is it true that US goods purchased in UK are not subject to VAT?
US goods purchased in the UK are subject to 20% VAT. There is no import duty on digital cameras.
Thanks! :)

Isn't customs duty also applicable on items over £135 ?

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
As Eldar has said, we really need to see the performance of this camera evaluated before jumping for it. i will wait until early spring to finalize my decision to get it over the 1DX II since I'm going to substitute the rush of a 400 DO in place of the my initial Sept. 1, 1DX II purchase. For me, as a single camera, I want/need the 30 MP. I can visualize me being a happy hiker with that pair.

I'm not ashamed of my 6D at all. It is what it is and has served me exceptionally well ... and the price well :) :) I've had to learn some techniques to help with its shortcomings and that's always good. Isn't that a positive statement in contrast to what we've been enduring lately!

Looks like the thread is already back to normalcy. :)

Jack

Upvote 0
M_S said:
Jopa said:
msatter said:
It is a pity that this camera is still using the the old USB 3 connector and not the more versatile USB-C which can used as an USB, HDMI and network connection and that all at the same time/concurrent. Probably Canon is not yet on speed which the Canon 5D MKIV to offer current technology.

Only one connector for all is the future that is already present.
LOL
USB-C is the past, Thunderbolt 3 / 4 / 5 etc... is the future. I would prefer a direct connection to my brain although.

Thunderbolt 3 uses USB-C as a physical connector. So it's not that out of context.

Correct and I have 2 USB-C on my computer which goes up to 40 Gb/s and it does Thunderbolt 3. It should be manditory to use USB-C on devices because it can be used as a real universal way of communicating with other devices and most of the legancy devices.

It sad that Canon could not implement in this top price range camera. ::)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
As Eldar has said, we really need to see the performance of this camera evaluated before jumping for it. i will wait until early spring to finalize my decision to get it over the 1DX II since I'm going to substitute the rush of a 400 DO in place of the my initial Sept. 1, 1DX II purchase. For me, as a single camera, I want/need the 30 MP. I can visualize me being a happy hiker with that pair.

I'm not ashamed of my 6D at all. It is what it is and has served me exceptionally well ... and the price well :) :) I've had to learn some techniques to help with its shortcomings and that's always good. Isn't that a positive statement in contrast to what we've been enduring lately!

Looks like the thread is already back to normalcy. :)

Jack
Jack please let us know when you get the lens (400DOII). I am sure you will enjoy it alot. :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
tron, I'd be hard pressed to be keeping it a secret. The order process has been initiated.

It truly is going to be nice dropping a little mass while gaining 100mm and with more MP, this will certainly be nice for hiking given I already was happy with the 300 and 6D. Maybe the 5D4 and 400 will weigh about the same.

Back up 3 years and I would have pronounced this kind of gas driven purchasing as insanity!

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
GuyF said:
arthurbikemad said:
Nice pair the 5D4 (ungripped) and the 400DO.

Id rather that than my 1DX2+500 all day long!

Hope that isn't buyer's remorse creeping in!

That combo has a lot of positives it just isn't that light. I'm sad that I won't have a 1 series but .... What some of us wanted was 24-28 MP in the 1DX II since there is no 1DXs, so it becomes the rock and a hard place choice. No need for buyers remorse, just different +,- scenario. For me hiking is a high priority.

Jack

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
GuyF said:
arthurbikemad said:
Nice pair the 5D4 (ungripped) and the 400DO.

Id rather that than my 1DX2+500 all day long!

Hope that isn't buyer's remorse creeping in!

That combo has a lot of positives it just isn't that light. I'm sad that I won't have a 1 series but .... What some of us wanted was 24-28 MP in the 1DX II since there is no 1DXs, so it becomes the rock and a hard place choice. No need for buyers remorse, just different +,- scenario. For me hiking is a high priority.

Jack
Jack how about 5DsR? More .. duck for the buck ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

E

Aug 13, 2016
scyrene said:
E said:
scyrene said:
E said:
Mikehit said:
E said:
Are you people feeling well? :-\

You're not reading what I'm posting, and you are really rude.

I am reading what you are writing.
Canon has not put high-end video functionality in the 5D4
I call it manufacturing to a price point
You see it as them deliberately crippling the product
My comment was highlighting that every manufacturer compromises to meet marketing aims. You don't like those compromises so you can either go with it or buy something else.

Simple fact is they are NOT going to make the 5D4 a high end video option. If you want high end video option buy a high end video camera.
If you were saying 'I would like to have seen...' then that is understandable. Complaining that they have deliberately crippled a product is refusing to accept reality of what they have chosen to produce.

How much would you have been willing to pay for a 5D4 with the video you would like to see?

But you are just proving to me again that you're not reading what I'm posting.

I have NOT asked for high-end video functionality in the 5D4.

And I have also written time and time again that I don't want to buy a video camera. But that I'm OK with paying for a non-crippled 1D C Mark II, if there were one.

So how come this is impossible for you to take in? I'm accused of writing the same thing over and over, but that's obviously because you're not reading and understanding it. My demands on Canon are fully reasonable.

Let's put this as clearly as possible: YOU have asked for certain features. OTHERS have asked for other features. If Canon put in all the features YOU AND OTHERS asked for, then it would be closer to a professional video camera. Unless you believe your personal desires are either more natural or somehow more important to Canon, then there's no way for the company to decide between your wishes and those of others. Does this make sense? Nobody is saying YOU want a pro video model. But one person's wishes cannot define a market. Capiche?

I have asked for a non-crippled camera, with the quality Canon delivered already in 2012, paired with slow motion. That is not a very unique request, that I don't share with anybody else.

I was dissappointed with 5D Mark IV, but I was ready to get a more expensive model instead. But, as Canon cripples their cameras, that model does not exist.

And no, there are plenty of users here who keep repeating that I should get a video camera. There is even one in the quoted post that I answered. If you care to read it.

From what I can tell 'crippled' means 'has the things I want'. You said you were being reasonable, but now you're using hyperbole, which kind of undermines that assertion.

The 2012 model is the 1DC, right? Remind me what its release price was...?

Crippled means just what it says. Canon has full quality 4K in the new camera (1D X II), but has crippled the quality of the 1080p.

And you are still not paying any attention at all, as I'm constantly writing that I would pay for it. You are attacking straw men, again and again. Read. Understand. Don't answer unless you can process information.

Upvote 0

E

Aug 13, 2016
M_S said:
neuroanatomist said:
scyrene said:
E said:
Mikehit said:
E said:
Are you people feeling well? :-\

You're not reading what I'm posting, and you are really rude.

I am reading what you are writing.
Canon has not put high-end video functionality in the 5D4
I call it manufacturing to a price point
You see it as them deliberately crippling the product
My comment was highlighting that every manufacturer compromises to meet marketing aims. You don't like those compromises so you can either go with it or buy something else.

Simple fact is they are NOT going to make the 5D4 a high end video option. If you want high end video option buy a high end video camera.
If you were saying 'I would like to have seen...' then that is understandable. Complaining that they have deliberately crippled a product is refusing to accept reality of what they have chosen to produce.

How much would you have been willing to pay for a 5D4 with the video you would like to see?

But you are just proving to me again that you're not reading what I'm posting.

I have NOT asked for high-end video functionality in the 5D4.

And I have also written time and time again that I don't want to buy a video camera. But that I'm OK with paying for a non-crippled 1D C Mark II, if there were one.

So how come this is impossible for you to take in? I'm accused of writing the same thing over and over, but that's obviously because you're not reading and understanding it. My demands on Canon are fully reasonable.

Let's put this as clearly as possible: YOU have asked for certain features. OTHERS have asked for other features. If Canon put in all the features YOU AND OTHERS asked for, then it would be closer to a professional video camera. Unless you believe your personal desires are either more natural or somehow more important to Canon, then there's no way for the company to decide between your wishes and those of others. Does this make sense? Nobody is saying YOU want a pro video model. But one person's wishes cannot define a market. Capiche?

Let's put this as clearly as possible. If you actually read what 'E' wrote, you'd see that's exactly what he's saying. I want it so everyone wants it. It's not a high end feature. It's important to me so it's important to everyone. It's so easy to do. So logical. Canon should have done it, because I wanted them to. Or else. Or else what? Exactly.

Capiche? ;)

Useless crap. Most of the time picking on somebody. Hope you have fun that way.

Yes, this is about the most aggressive forum I have ever visited. Unbelievable.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
E said:
Yes, this is about the most aggressive forum I have ever visited. Unbelievable.

Well, you reap what you sow. Regardless, there's a simple solution.

rgFqm.png

Upvote 0
E said:
scyrene said:
From what I can tell 'crippled' means 'has the things I want'. You said you were being reasonable, but now you're using hyperbole, which kind of undermines that assertion.

The 2012 model is the 1DC, right? Remind me what its release price was...?

Crippled means just what it says. Canon has full quality 4K in the new camera (1D X II), but has crippled the quality of the 1080p.

And you are still not paying any attention at all, as I'm constantly writing that I would pay for it. You are attacking straw men, again and again. Read. Understand. Don't answer unless you can process information.

I suppose my point is, given the 1DC was £10k on release, and that brought a lot of criticism, AND for that money you could buy a pro video camera, a) why do you think that the 5D4 or 1DxII being that kind of price would be a sound business decision and b) why don't you just buy a proper video camera?

No straw men here. You keep saying the 5D4 is bad for not having what you personally want, and saying you personally would happily pay for it. Is that incorrect? Is it also incorrect to say that Canon cannot include every feature desired by each person, and cannot set the price higher than what they believe the market (i.e. the consumers as a whole) will bear? Look how much moaning there's been about the price already. Imagine if it was double that!

PS if you think I'm being aggressive, I don't think you know what that word means. I'm stating facts, gently and politely pointing where you might be incorrect or missing the point. That's not aggression.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
E said:

And that is the nub of the problem.

Look at the number of people who are saying that the 5DIV is too expensive for them as it is. You are proposing additions that you admit would increase the price further and make it attractive only to a small sector of the market.
In other words you are saying that you think Canon should move the 5D4 into a price bracket that would make it a commercial failure.

I think it is a very sensible decision that Canon ignore you !

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
kingrobertii said:
I feel that a lot of the time, Canon is the underdog on paper, but in real-world practice it turns out to be a stellar camera. Either way, I am excited for mine to get here and see all of it's goodies.

P.S. I am upgrading from a 5D II....

It'd be nice if everyone could fire the questions at Canon and get their honest answers back. We can only guess or if we could find a fly to sit on the board room wall and pass information back, that would work too. I suspect there is a lot of disagreement on the various decisions that ultimately materialize. One thing for sure, human nature is to pump up expectations, often unrealistically, and then be disappointed.

Jack.

Upvote 0
mikekx102 said:
Not meaning to be a troll, but has anyone seen this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJYXrilGk_8

I found it funny :p

It is a bit difficult when you also speak German to follow the subtitles so for me without sound and this Hitler is difficult to understand because of the tremble in the voice.

Then what I see the content is correct and it is a long long time ago that Canon did produce a camera that is not crippled by design.

Upvote 0