Canon Announces the EOS 77D

C-A430

Powershot C-A430
Apr 16, 2016
Europe
ritholtz said:
PeterT said:
kphoto99 said:
By not including AFMA Canon has simply placed this camera as a Rebel without calling it a Rebel.

Yes, I totally agree.
I am very disappointed. I hoped that one of the reasons why they promoted its name from Rebel to xxD was the the inclusion of AFMA. All other features are just right for me, but no AFMA is a show stopper. While the size and weight (and partly the price) of 80D is another show stopper.
So I found no reason to upgrade and I a keep taking pictures with my old 450D and considering jumping into the m43 system.
xxd line is bulky compared to rebels. 77d looks good except for view finder and no MFA. If it has all these features, i will prefer rebel to using M with adapters. Canon never going to include these features into rebel unless they discontinue xxd series.

If you replace 77Ds pentamirror with pentaprism, add bigger and better sealed body, bigger battery and AFMA you get camera that is nearly identical to 80D.

So I understand your statement as "Canon will never call successor to 80D - a Rebel". Whether it will be called Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS Rebel 90D is not relevant. What is relevant is when will price of 80D drop from 1099€ body-only to 1099€ with a 18-135 STM? Since 77D is priced so close to 80D probably not soon.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
So the 760D becomes the 77D with the addition of Digic 7, 45 point AF, 5 axis in body stabilization, 6fps, 0.03 fastest focusing (1AF point), 7,560 RGB-IR metering, dual pixel AF & HDR movie.

In the UK the body only 760D is 579.00 UK pound, the 77D is 829.00 and the 80D 999.00. That's a big just for the 77D to get the camera to where Nikon have been on spec. for some time.

I can see why Canon have moved the 760D up to the 77D but it also makes the 6D at 1,449.00 now poor value for money 20.2 MP, 11AF points, 4.5fps, 97% viewfinder, Digic 5+, 63 zone dual layer spc, 180 sync speed and only one cross type AF point it really is the granddad of the line-up.

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany
C-A430 said:
ritholtz said:
PeterT said:
kphoto99 said:
By not including AFMA Canon has simply placed this camera as a Rebel without calling it a Rebel.

Yes, I totally agree.
I am very disappointed. I hoped that one of the reasons why they promoted its name from Rebel to xxD was the the inclusion of AFMA. All other features are just right for me, but no AFMA is a show stopper. While the size and weight (and partly the price) of 80D is another show stopper.
So I found no reason to upgrade and I a keep taking pictures with my old 450D and considering jumping into the m43 system.
xxd line is bulky compared to rebels. 77d looks good except for view finder and no MFA. If it has all these features, i will prefer rebel to using M with adapters. Canon never going to include these features into rebel unless they discontinue xxd series.

If you replace 77Ds pentamirror with pentaprism, add bigger and better sealed body, bigger battery and AFMA you get camera that is nearly identical to 80D.

So I understand your statement as "Canon will never call successor to 80D - a Rebel". Whether it will be called Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS Rebel 90D is not relevant. What is relevant is when will price of 80D drop from 1099€ body-only to 1099€ with a 18-135 STM? Since 77D is priced so close to 80D probably not soon.

Lol. No 1/8000 shutter, no 1/3 steps in Shutterspeed and ISO, may be differences in AF points, even if number is euqal, 6 fps vs 7 fps, buffer size, back interface (wheel etc), jpg/raw quality/options... you just want to put it the way you would like to see it. ^^

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Chaitanya said:
Tangent said:
afma? Not expecting it but would like to be pleasantly surprised. If anyone know for sure please let us know!
no afma(wasnt expecting this feature) but wierdly cheaper Eos m6 has got user customisable c1,c2 modes while this camera(in order to protect 80d) doesnt have custom mode memory.

The most recent Sony focussing systems do it in 0.05s. That is not significantly different from 0.03s at a practical level, so the DPAF is not that much of an advantage as people make out.

Upvote 0

dufflover

OH YEAH!
Nov 10, 2013
Australia
They managed to have many "Rebel-like" qualities in the 6D and got away with it pretty well ... same thing here (I don't agree with it).

"Luckily" for us as CR people we check actual specs and reviews rather than just go off name, although it does increase that cynicism meter.

Guess just have to wait for hands-on reviews for the rest of it. I like Imaging Resources performance tests when it comes to the buffer testing.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
stochasticmotions said:
MintChocs said:
What are the main differences between the 80D and 77D?

Good question! I would like to see a side by side spec comparison, it seems like virtually the same camera.

The 80D...

• is bigger and heavier
  • has a larger and brighter OVF with 100% coverage
  • has a larger, longer-lasting battery
  • has weather sealing and probably a sturdier construction
  • has a rated shutter durability
  • has 1/8000s shutter speed
  • has 1/250s flash sync speed
  • has C1 and C2 modes
  • has a separate B mode in the mode dial
  • has a Kelvin white balance setting
  • has more top buttons
  • has more customisable buttons
  • has a higher bitrate ALL-I 1080p30 video format
  • has a 1fps faster burst speed
  • has OVF silent shutter modes
  • has AF manual adjustment
  • has a headphone jack

I might update my 70D-80D-7D2 comparison matrix to include the 77D when I get some spare time.

Upvote 0

C-A430

Powershot C-A430
Apr 16, 2016
Europe
hubie said:
C-A430 said:
ritholtz said:
PeterT said:
kphoto99 said:

Yes, I totally agree.

Lol. No 1/8000 shutter, no 1/3 steps in Shutterspeed and ISO, may be differences in AF points, even if number is euqal, 6 fps vs 7 fps, buffer size, back interface (wheel etc), jpg/raw quality/options... you just want to put it the way you would like to see it. ^^

That my point - they would be nearly identical. If they replace pentamirror with pentaprism they will increase size, weight and price. Will they leave such camera without 80D sealing? No.

No camera maker ever offered so much choice in such a narrow price range as Canon is now with 750D/800D/77D/80D, yet there are people looking for something better that 77D, but smaller than 80D. If they JUST made THAT one, I buy 10, but like this, I wont buy at all. Bollocks!

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
C-A430 said:
... yet there are people looking for something better that 77D, but smaller than 80D. If they JUST made THAT one, I buy 10, but like this, I wont buy at all. Bollocks!

I am not sure (after too many embedded quotes) what exactly is THAT one.

For me (as I already wrote), THAT one would be the 77D plus AFMA. I do not need anything else from 80D (and they could even strip the wireless gimmicks like WiFi and NFC).

I agree that smaller body means smaller OVF and smaller battery which means less power for quicker shutter and it means lower maximum shutter speed and lower maximum FPS.

But in current situation I will not buy 77D because it has no AFMA and I will not buy 80D because it is too big and heavy.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
PeterT said:
C-A430 said:
... yet there are people looking for something better that 77D, but smaller than 80D. If they JUST made THAT one, I buy 10, but like this, I wont buy at all. Bollocks!

For me (as I already wrote), THAT one would be the 77D plus AFMA. I do not need anything else from 80D (and they could even strip the wireless gimmicks like WiFi and NFC).

I agree that smaller body means smaller OVF and smaller battery which means less power for quicker shutter and it means lower maximum shutter speed and lower maximum FPS.

Its not the smaller OVF so much as its construction. The 77D uses a pentamirror, the 80D uses a more expensive, brighter, and all around better pentaprism.

Here is the info you have been looking for. The 80D is the best deal by far right now.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=20042

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I really like the 77D, but at the moment the pricing doesn't make sense. MSRP, they are very close in price because of the current Instant Rebate on the 80D. But that doesn't even tell the whole picture, because street price, body only, 80D is sub-$900 USD (for example, Amazon with fulfillment via Prime, which gives you free shipping and hassle-free 30 day return). And throw in a little bit more, and you can get a nice bundle with surprisingly useful extras.

There is almost nothing on it that's better than the 80D -- the Bluetooth is kind of cool, and I guess there's the DSLR-newb Guide UI, which some people have said is touch-friendly and cool, but I don't think either is a compelling reason to choose the camera. On the other hand the 80D is superior in a lot of things that often matter to people who buy midrange DSLR or semi-pro APS-C, like weather seal, pentaprism, battery life, and convenience features like more/better buttons, C1/C2.

The battery I think is a massively understated advantage of the 80D -- 80D uses LP-E6, which is a well-loved battery that's shared by many Canon cameras AND that you can get cheap third party copies of for the price of lunch at Starbucks. The 77D uses the same battery as the t6i/t6s, the LP-E17, which only has non-decoded batteries. That means either not knowing how much juice is left in spares, or paying $60 a battery for Canon originals.

So, just 2 spare batteries, and you're looking at an extra $100. If you have a grip plus 4 batteries (2 sets), that's a whopping $200 difference. And 3rd party LP-E6 batteries have gotten really good, as good as the original Canon ones.

The real winner in this round, I think, is the T7i. It's a massive improvement and an awesome hobbyist camera, a market where most of the 80D features are just not that important.

Keep in mind that I'd have a different opinion if it weren't for the current pricing strata. at MSRP $1200 versus MSRP $900, the 77D is a great choice. But at street price $880 vs $900 for the brand-new 70D, it's just a no brainer, IMHO.

I suppose the other argument would be for the new lens kit, but personally, I have zero interest in another 18-55 range lens, even if it's cheap and a little smaller. I'm not really sure there are that many people who want a $1000-range camera who don't have a kit 18-55 from a previous camera, or who have invested in a far superior alternative already (for me, that's the 17-55 2.8) .

I guess there could be unmentioned extras that would change the calculus too, for instance, really awesome wifi to desktop speeds for RAW shooting, but you'd think they'd advertise that if it were so.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Talys said:
I really like the 77D, but at the moment the pricing doesn't make sense. MSRP, they are very close in price because of the current Instant Rebate on the 80D. But that doesn't even tell the whole picture, because street price, body only, 80D is sub-$900 USD (for example, Amazon with fulfillment via Prime, which gives you free shipping and hassle-free 30 day return). And throw in a little bit more, and you can get a nice bundle with surprisingly useful extras.

Those figures (and the instant rebate) are of course only in the US. The street prices around here are around €900, €1000, and €1200 for the 800D, the 77D, and the 80D respectively (body only). The 80D price is probably not going to drop significantly very soon either.

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Its not the smaller OVF so much as its construction. The 77D uses a pentamirror, the 80D uses a more expensive, brighter, and all around better pentaprism.

I know that. But I prefer small size over the pentaprism. I only want the AF micro adjustments in a smaller body.

The 80D is the best deal by far right now.

Not for me. 80D is too big and heavy.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
PeterT said:

I know that. But I prefer small size over the pentaprism. I only want the AF micro adjustments in a smaller body.

The 80D is the best deal by far right now.

Not for me. 80D is too big and heavy.

Funny, I've been considering one and I just gave one the looksie at the local shop and the one thing I came away with was..."It's too small and feels light/cheap" BUT, I do like the feature set. All in all, I'm happy cropping from my 5D3 instead of getting that extra bit of 'noisier' reach.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Sharlin said:
Talys said:

Those figures (and the instant rebate) are of course only in the US. The street prices around here are around €900, €1000, and €1200 for the 800D, the 77D, and the 80D respectively (body only). The 80D price is probably not going to drop significantly very soon either.

Amazon.de has 80D at €1064 --

https://www.amazon.de/Canon-SLR-Digitalkamera-Megapixel-AF-Kreuzsensoren-Bildprozessor/dp/B01C2XJVPC/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1487301559&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+80d

I'm actually in Canada, where the 77D is $1150, and the 80D is less than that (or comes with lots of bundled stuff).

I don't think the 80D will drop either... I mean, the 77D surely will not, and there just isn't enough space between the 80d and 77d for much of a drop (on MSRP).

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
slclick said:
PeterT said:
80D is too big and heavy.
Funny, I've been considering one and I just gave one the looksie at the local shop and the one thing I came away with was..."It's too small and feels light/cheap" BUT, I do like the feature set.

It's ok, we are different with different preferences.

The problem for me is that Canon just ignores preferences of people wanting a good camera in smaller body.
And even features that are purely software (which AF micro adjustments are, I believe), i.e. not dependent on the body size, are stripped from smaller bodies even if they paint "77D" on it. That's sad for me...

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
PeterT said:
slclick said:
PeterT said:
80D is too big and heavy.
Funny, I've been considering one and I just gave one the looksie at the local shop and the one thing I came away with was..."It's too small and feels light/cheap" BUT, I do like the feature set.

It's ok, we are different with different preferences.

The problem for me is that Canon just ignores preferences of people wanting a good camera in smaller body.
And even features that are purely software (which AF micro adjustments are, I believe), i.e. not dependent on the body size, are stripped from smaller bodies even if they paint "77D" on it. That's sad for me...

They simply can't cater to every preference so they concentrate on the biggest target segments. Every single camera body is a compromise, and every single camera purchase is also a compromise.

Except that they did just release a model that definitely caters to the "small but advanced" crowd: the M5. It doesn't have AFMA though ;)

Upvote 0

C-A430

Powershot C-A430
Apr 16, 2016
Europe
PeterT said:
C-A430 said:

But in current situation I will not buy 77D because it has no AFMA and I will not buy 80D because it is too big and heavy.

I wasn't talking about your case. I was saying that asking for 77D with pentaprism and AFMA from 80D and price, size and weight from 800D is trolling. Yes, Canon should have included AFMA at least in 77D, if not even in 800D, but it's not like neither of these camera suit his needs, and that one would perfectly.

As for your case, hundreds of improvements that 77D brings compared to 450D for you are not worth the upgrade, but AFMA would be? Strange.

If you wanted something smaller you would be thinking about M5 or M6. And if 450D is perfect size for you, 80D is good compromise - slightly larger than what you consider optimum (that should not be too big), while giving you better grip, bigger battery, larger and brighter viewfinder, weather sealing etc. + a LOT of upgrades 77D would bring over 450D. Besides its not like you chose light lenses. From your signature I would say you have a lot of lenses that would benefit from 80Ds' body weight.

Do lenses you already own need auto-focus micro-adjustment? If they did I presume you would have switched to 70D years ago. If not why insist on smaller version of 80D? If 1 rarely used lenses needs it, just use the liveview when using that lens wide open.

Upvote 0