Canon Announces the EOS 77D

Dec 18, 2014
Chaitanya said:
So atleast on this camera Canon has kept the naming scheme same across the globe.
So the next one will be called 87D?
Chaitanya said:
Also this camera still uses that tiny tunnelly pentamirror viewfinder
So the reason for me not getting the 300D is still there!
Chaitanya said:
, no USB type-C, crappy 1080p video with no 4k, still ancient UHS-I spec SD Slot, tiny ass battery.
And no MFA, apparently!

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Sharlin said:
They simply can't cater to every preference so they concentrate on the biggest target segments. Every single camera body is a compromise, and every single camera purchase is also a compromise.

Except that they did just release a model that definitely caters to the "small but advanced" crowd: the M5. It doesn't have AFMA though ;)

Yeah, right? Plus, it's unrealistic to ask vendors or Canon to stock 6 DSLRs that are all around the same price just so that someone can have exactly the features they want in a matrix. Picking a body and brand of camera is usually about finding the compromise that suits a particular need or preference.

And anyways, the 80D isn't heavier because Canon thinks people who want more advanced models won't buy lighter cameras... it's heavier because there's a motorized mirror instead of springs, a big hunk of glass instead of a VF mirror, a bigger battery, and dirt/moisture seals. I get that people would like all that in a tiny form factor; I'm sure Canon would like to be able to fit all the goodies of a 1D in a M5 form factor too :p

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
For all those who are comparing the price of the 77D to the 80D, keep this in mind: If the 77D causes customers to instead choose the 80D because the price/value of the 80D is better, is that poor marketing or marketing genius on Canon's part?

Does Canon care if anyone buys a 77D? No, what they care about is that someone is buying a Canon DSLR and if it's the slightly more expensive 80D, well that's all the better.

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
Sharlin said:
They simply can't cater to every preference so they concentrate on the biggest target segments. Every single camera body is a compromise, and every single camera purchase is also a compromise.

Why "every preference"?
There is the Rebel line and there is the X0D line. The main characteristics of Rebels vs X0D is smaller and lighter body with all the consequences of that (no weather sealing, no prism, no more buttons and dials, smaller battery, slower speed,...). All this alone distinguishes the two lines well enough.
Now (already with the 760D) they created something in-between these two lines. And I see strong arguments that the only good solution for the in-between body is to opt for the Rebel body, but include everything from X0D that is not dependent (i.e. does not contribute) to the size and weight of X0D. Omitting any other feature (like the purely software based AFMA) for purely "marketing" reasons can trigger bad feeling (they want to swindle!) and move some current Canon customers towards other brands.

Sharlin said:
Except that they did just release a model that definitely caters to the "small but advanced" crowd: the M5. It doesn't have AFMA though ;)
Unfortunately it has much worse set of dedicated primes (any reasonably fast EF prime looks ridiculously long with that adapter). I will not consider it till they have a 15mm, 32mm IS and 55mm IS and 85mm IS all of them not darker than f/2.0.

Talys said:
And anyways, the 80D isn't heavier because Canon thinks people who want more advanced models won't buy lighter cameras... it's heavier because there's a motorized mirror instead of springs, a big hunk of glass instead of a VF mirror, a bigger battery, and dirt/moisture seals. I get that people would like all that in a tiny form factor.
No, you do not get what do I want. I can live without all the things that you listed because I know that with them the camera would need to be bigger or heavier than I want it. From me the small size and weight is a priority over the listed goodies. But I want all the features of 80D that are not contributing to size and weight (especially AFMA).

unfocused said:
If the 77D causes customers to instead choose the 80D because the price/value of the 80D is better, is that poor marketing or marketing genius on Canon's part?
Does Canon care if anyone buys a 77D? No, what they care about is that someone is buying a Canon DSLR and if it's the slightly more expensive 80D, well that's all the better.
This marketing trick just does not work with me. 80D is too big, too heavy and quite expensive for me. So it is out my consideration (at least for next year or two while my current camera still works and there are not enough used ones on the market). Full stop.
I hoped for a Rebel sized camera with AFMA because AFMA does not depend on size. They did not do such a camera. So I will not buy it... and I will go on shooting with the gear I have and considering other brands.
So did they spend on R&D just to finally expel me (and people like me) from the Canon brand?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
PeterT said:
Sharlin said:

Why "every preference"?
There is the Rebel line and there is the X0D line. The main characteristics of Rebels vs X0D is smaller and lighter body with all the consequences of that (no weather sealing, no prism, no more buttons and dials, smaller battery, slower speed,...). All this alone distinguishes the two lines well enough.
Now (already with the 760D) they created something in-between these two lines. And I see strong arguments that the only good solution for the in-between body is to opt for the Rebel body, but include everything from X0D that is not dependent (i.e. does not contribute) to the size and weight of X0D. Omitting any other feature (like the purely software based AFMA) for purely "marketing" reasons can trigger bad feeling (they want to swindle!) and move some current Canon customers towards other brands.

Sharlin said:
Unfortunately it has much worse set of dedicated primes (any reasonably fast EF prime looks ridiculously long with that adapter). I will not consider it till they have a 15mm, 32mm IS and 55mm IS and 85mm IS all of them not darker than f/2.0.

Talys said:
And anyways, the 80D isn't heavier because Canon thinks people who want more advanced models won't buy lighter cameras... it's heavier because there's a motorized mirror instead of springs, a big hunk of glass instead of a VF mirror, a bigger battery, and dirt/moisture seals. I get that people would like all that in a tiny form factor.
No, you do not get what do I want. I can live without all the things that you listed because I know that with them the camera would need to be bigger or heavier than I want it. From me the small size and weight is a priority over the listed goodies. But I want all the features of 80D that are not contributing to size and weight (especially AFMA).

unfocused said:
If the 77D causes customers to instead choose the 80D because the price/value of the 80D is better, is that poor marketing or marketing genius on Canon's part?
This marketing trick just does not work with me. 80D is too big, too heavy and quite expensive for me. So it is out my consideration (at least for next year or two while my current camera still works and there are not enough used ones on the market). Full stop.
I hoped for a Rebel sized camera with AFMA because AFMA does not depend on size. They did not do such a camera. So I will not buy it... and I will go on shooting with the gear I have and considering other brands.
So did they spend on R&D just to finally expel me (and people like me) from the Canon brand?

Wow. Just Wow. You speak as if this is a personal attack. I'm sorry you have been attacked. Oh and fallen for a marketing trick (called choices and options) Just wow.

Upvote 0