Canon Announces the PowerShot S100

Z

-zero-

Guest
http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/canons100/images/s100-vs-s95-back.jpg

where is teh direct print button????
 

dstppy

EOS R
Apr 26, 2011
981
0
Connecticut . . . ish.
c-law said:
robert55 said:
One [undoubtedly stupid] question: what does HS stand for?
Hybrid Stabilisation.

It is the newest form of Canon's IS technology as introduced by the latest 100L macro lens.

Chris
I couldn't believe what a world of difference IS made when we got our first A series with it. HS sounds yummier :)


-zero- said:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/canons100/images/s100-vs-s95-back.jpg

where is teh direct print button????

Says it can be re-purposed.

Who direct prints? ;D
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,771
2,449
c-law said:
robert55 said:
One [undoubtedly stupid] question: what does HS stand for?
Hybrid Stabilisation.

It is the newest form of Canon's IS technology as introduced by the latest 100L macro lens.

Ummmm...no. You're referring to Hybrid IS (H-IS) in the 100L Macro, which corrects for angular motion like traditional IS, and for translational shift. There is no system in PowerShots that corrects for translational shift.

HS = high-sensitivity, and refers to the combination of sensor technology and Digic image processing that allows for cleaner (relatively, at least) shots in low light conditions.
 
C

chrismartinez.co.uk

Guest
neuroanatomist said:
chrismartinez.co.uk said:
Interesting to see that the Digic V in the 12MP S100 allows it to take 2.3fps vs the 0.9 fps of the Digic IV in the 10MP S95

How much of that is Digic V, and how much is the sensor itself? CMOS sensors read out faster than CCD sensors.

Indeed, good point. This may be a stupid question (im not afraid to ask), but in the end were there any real benefits of CCD over CMOS i know there were supposedly in the early days, but what about in recent times? i assume Canon would have stuck with CCD if there were so maybe ive answered my own question.
 
Aug 22, 2011
7
0
Amazon has the pre-order up:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B005MTME3U/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1316117726&sr=1-1
 

Blaze

EOS M6 Mark II
Mar 27, 2011
71
0
neuroanatomist said:
c-law said:
robert55 said:
One [undoubtedly stupid] question: what does HS stand for?
Hybrid Stabilisation.

It is the newest form of Canon's IS technology as introduced by the latest 100L macro lens.

Ummmm...no. You're referring to Hybrid IS (H-IS) in the 100L Macro, which corrects for angular motion like traditional IS, and for translational shift. There is no system in PowerShots that corrects for translational shift.

HS = high-sensitivity, and refers to the combination of sensor technology and Digic image processing that allows for cleaner (relatively, at least) shots in low light conditions.

I think the S100's macro/hybrid IS mode is designed to correct for shift-type camera shake.
 

EYEONE

EOS RP
Jan 5, 2011
612
0
chrismartinez.co.uk said:
neuroanatomist said:
chrismartinez.co.uk said:
Interesting to see that the Digic V in the 12MP S100 allows it to take 2.3fps vs the 0.9 fps of the Digic IV in the 10MP S95

How much of that is Digic V, and how much is the sensor itself? CMOS sensors read out faster than CCD sensors.


Indeed, good point. This may be a stupid question (im not afraid to ask), but in the end were there any real benefits of CCD over CMOS i know there were supposedly in the early days, but what about in recent times? i assume Canon would have stuck with CCD if there were so maybe ive answered my own question.


CCDs don't suffer from the "rolling shutter" problem that CMOS does because of the we it reads out the pixels. It also is suppose to have high image quality but I'm not sure how true that is anymore. CCDs also use a lot more power than CMOS does and are more expensive.

That's basically it. I'm sure others have more info.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,771
2,449
Blaze said:
neuroanatomist said:
c-law said:
robert55 said:
One [undoubtedly stupid] question: what does HS stand for?
Hybrid Stabilisation.

It is the newest form of Canon's IS technology as introduced by the latest 100L macro lens.

Ummmm...no. You're referring to Hybrid IS (H-IS) in the 100L Macro, which corrects for angular motion like traditional IS, and for translational shift. There is no system in PowerShots that corrects for translational shift.

HS = high-sensitivity, and refers to the combination of sensor technology and Digic image processing that allows for cleaner (relatively, at least) shots in low light conditions.

I think the S100's macro/hybrid IS mode is designed to correct for shift-type camera shake.

Apologies - you are correct. Sorry for not checking my facts. The S95 does, indeed, have hybrid IS.

But still, HS is something different.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,771
2,449
dajazz said:
Amazon has the pre-order up:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B005MTME3U/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1316117726&sr=1-1

Awesome - thanks for the link.

I now have the new S100 pre-ordered! ;D
 

riogrande100

I'm New Here
Sep 14, 2011
22
0
I think Canon releasing the s100 with Digic 5 is an early signal to say our new waves of DSLR are on the way soon. I think the main reason that the s100 has been annoucned first is because with holiday season appraoching this is a camera that would appeal for that market. So it needs it to be out there first, whereas the Pro DSLR are not seasonal products.

It just lets everyone else know that we know your anxious but they are coming. Also the the Hollywood event in November should be interseting could be the 5D MKIII release that is geared for video?
 

gmrza

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2011
522
1
neuroanatomist said:
IMO, definitely a worthwhile upgrade for my S95. I'll be ordering one when they become available!

What it does raise an interesting question about is a G13 - The S and G series have after all shared sensors.

What I am also wondering about is whether we will see built in GPS coming to more Canon cameras. That will be interesting to see.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,771
2,449
gmrza said:
What it does raise an interesting question about is a G13 - The S and G series have after all shared sensors.

What I am also wondering about is whether we will see built in GPS coming to more Canon cameras. That will be interesting to see.

I'd bet the G13 (will they name a camera -13?) would have the same sensor, if/when it comes, and built-in GPS. Probably a new lens, too - 24-168, perhaps?

I'm hoping we start to see the built-in GPS in dSLRs, at least the 1-series if not lower bodies.
 
M

mrbill

Guest
dajazz said:
Amazon has the pre-order up:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B005MTME3U/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1316117726&sr=1-1

Gotta love the usual UK ripoff - £439.00 ($700) to buy the same camera in Britain. Granted that includes 20% sales tax - so the equilvalent of $560

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Digital-Camera/dp/B005N5NF6I
 

Blaze

EOS M6 Mark II
Mar 27, 2011
71
0
Yep, if I place the S100 in my cart and go to check out it estimates the delivery date to be Oct. 5-13.

mrbill, Amazon doesn't usually collect taxes on the items they sell in the US, so that really is a huge difference.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,771
2,449
mrbill said:
Gotta love the usual UK ripoff

Not only cost, as Amazon.uk states, "This item is due to be released on November 25, 2011," and like the previous poster, I got an email from Amazon (US) estimating delivery the second week in October.
 
D

davidpbush

Guest
Canon has the manual up:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_g_series/powershot_s100#BrochuresAndManuals
 
<-- start Taboola -->