Canon Announces the PowerShot S100

Status
Not open for further replies.
c-law said:
robert55 said:
One [undoubtedly stupid] question: what does HS stand for?
Hybrid Stabilisation.

It is the newest form of Canon's IS technology as introduced by the latest 100L macro lens.

Chris
I couldn't believe what a world of difference IS made when we got our first A series with it. HS sounds yummier :)

-zero- said:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/previews/canons100/images/s100-vs-s95-back.jpg

where is teh direct print button????

Says it can be re-purposed.

Who direct prints? ;D

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
c-law said:
robert55 said:
Hybrid Stabilisation.

It is the newest form of Canon's IS technology as introduced by the latest 100L macro lens.

Ummmm...no. You're referring to Hybrid IS (H-IS) in the 100L Macro, which corrects for angular motion like traditional IS, and for translational shift. There is no system in PowerShots that corrects for translational shift.

HS = high-sensitivity, and refers to the combination of sensor technology and Digic image processing that allows for cleaner (relatively, at least) shots in low light conditions.

Upvote 0
C

chrismartinez.co.uk

neuroanatomist said:
chrismartinez.co.uk said:
Interesting to see that the Digic V in the 12MP S100 allows it to take 2.3fps vs the 0.9 fps of the Digic IV in the 10MP S95

How much of that is Digic V, and how much is the sensor itself? CMOS sensors read out faster than CCD sensors.

Indeed, good point. This may be a stupid question (im not afraid to ask), but in the end were there any real benefits of CCD over CMOS i know there were supposedly in the early days, but what about in recent times? i assume Canon would have stuck with CCD if there were so maybe ive answered my own question.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
c-law said:
robert55 said:
Hybrid Stabilisation.

Ummmm...no. You're referring to Hybrid IS (H-IS) in the 100L Macro, which corrects for angular motion like traditional IS, and for translational shift. There is no system in PowerShots that corrects for translational shift.

HS = high-sensitivity, and refers to the combination of sensor technology and Digic image processing that allows for cleaner (relatively, at least) shots in low light conditions.

I think the S100's macro/hybrid IS mode is designed to correct for shift-type camera shake.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Interesting to see that the Digic V in the 12MP S100 allows it to take 2.3fps vs the 0.9 fps of the Digic IV in the 10MP S95

How much of that is Digic V, and how much is the sensor itself? CMOS sensors read out faster than CCD sensors.

Indeed, good point. This may be a stupid question (im not afraid to ask), but in the end were there any real benefits of CCD over CMOS i know there were supposedly in the early days, but what about in recent times? i assume Canon would have stuck with CCD if there were so maybe ive answered my own question.

CCDs don't suffer from the "rolling shutter" problem that CMOS does because of the we it reads out the pixels. It also is suppose to have high image quality but I'm not sure how true that is anymore. CCDs also use a lot more power than CMOS does and are more expensive.

That's basically it. I'm sure others have more info.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Blaze said:
neuroanatomist said:
c-law said:
robert55 said:
Hybrid Stabilisation.

I think the S100's macro/hybrid IS mode is designed to correct for shift-type camera shake.

Apologies - you are correct. Sorry for not checking my facts. The S95 does, indeed, have hybrid IS.

But still, HS is something different.

Upvote 0
I think Canon releasing the s100 with Digic 5 is an early signal to say our new waves of DSLR are on the way soon. I think the main reason that the s100 has been annoucned first is because with holiday season appraoching this is a camera that would appeal for that market. So it needs it to be out there first, whereas the Pro DSLR are not seasonal products.

It just lets everyone else know that we know your anxious but they are coming. Also the the Hollywood event in November should be interseting could be the 5D MKIII release that is geared for video?

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
IMO, definitely a worthwhile upgrade for my S95. I'll be ordering one when they become available!

What it does raise an interesting question about is a G13 - The S and G series have after all shared sensors.

What I am also wondering about is whether we will see built in GPS coming to more Canon cameras. That will be interesting to see.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
gmrza said:
What it does raise an interesting question about is a G13 - The S and G series have after all shared sensors.

What I am also wondering about is whether we will see built in GPS coming to more Canon cameras. That will be interesting to see.

I'd bet the G13 (will they name a camera -13?) would have the same sensor, if/when it comes, and built-in GPS. Probably a new lens, too - 24-168, perhaps?

I'm hoping we start to see the built-in GPS in dSLRs, at least the 1-series if not lower bodies.

Upvote 0
M

mrbill

dajazz said:
Amazon has the pre-order up:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B005MTME3U/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1316117726&sr=1-1

Gotta love the usual UK ripoff - £439.00 ($700) to buy the same camera in Britain. Granted that includes 20% sales tax - so the equilvalent of $560

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Digital-Camera/dp/B005N5NF6I

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.