Canon Australia halting sales of the Canon EOS R5C

In an email sent to us (thank you), we received an email that Canon Australia has sent out stating that Canon Inc has asked them to halt sales of the Canon EOS R5C.
The email alludes that this is happening because of some issue with the camera.  They mention in the email “I’d like to reassure you that there are no health and safety issues with the camera however, we want to ensure that the product is of the highest standard from a quality perspective.”
We are not aware of any current issues with the R5C, but it could be something that Canon has caught during the initial manufacturing run of the camera, and perhaps some serious manufacturing defect was discovered.  Alternatively, this could be simply an email suspending sales because of supply chain issues, but Canon would normally state this in the email because that actually shows there is a positive demand for the camera.  The R5C was due to...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point those are preorders. Canon has most likely taken in as many preoders that it had anticipated shiping to Australia. Display driver chips are at a premium. The R5c is most likely using the same exact display as the R5. Same driver chips
except usually in those emails/statements they say they are canceling / halting due to unprecedented demand, yada, yada, yada.

they don't say things like .. "hey the camera won't catch on fire or anything.. "

Upvote 0
On a sidebar, Canon just released new Firmware for the R5 1.5.2
Yep. https://www.canon.com.au/support/support-news/firmware-updates/eos-r5-firmware-version-1-5-2

Firmware Version 1.5.2 incorporates the following enhancements:
1. Optimizes AutoFocus accuracy when Extender RF1.4x or Extender RF2x is attached to the RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM and RF1200mm F8 L IS USM lenses.
2. Enhances the stability of Eye Detection.
3. Enhances AutoFocus tracking when shooting moving subjects.

Some comments already on FB R5 Shooters group. Nothing on DPR though which is interesting... Maybe Canon Australia jumped the gun.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There's a separate thread:

R5 Firmware 1.5.2 is out

A few other countries appear to have released, but it seems even less organised than Canon's firmware rollouts usually are!
not sure why it isn't posted as a general thread to avoid multiple member created posts.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
“I’d like to reassure you that there are no health and safety issues with the camera however, we want to ensure that the product is of the highest standard from a quality perspective.”.

In all probability this will turn out to be a firmware issue, one serious enough to stop production.
Not hugely surprising given the complexity of modern cameras, and the reported issues with recent firmware on the R5.

Upvote 0
“I’d like to reassure you that there are no health and safety issues with the camera however, we want to ensure that the product is of the highest standard from a quality perspective.”.

In all probability this will turn out to be a firmware issue, one serious enough to stop production.
Not hugely surprising given the complexity of modern cameras, and the reported issues with recent firmware on the R5.
Wonder if the two are related. Some have reported that the AF issues haven’t been fixed with 1.5.2 so I imagine persist with the R5c - the camera OS is appears to be a version of the R5’s, after all. If the original base build they worked on for the R5c was taken from R5 1.5 (where the issues presented) they don’t have the option to just tile back to 1.4 without going back to somewhere close to square one.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Wonder if the two are related. Some have reported that the AF issues haven’t been fixed with 1.5.2 so I imagine persist with the R5c - the camera OS is appears to be a version of the R5’s, after all. If the original base build they worked on for the R5c was taken from R5 1.5 (where the issues presented) they don’t have the option to just tile back to 1.4 without going back to somewhere close to square one.
Firmware issues do seem to be causing problems for Canon and its users at the moment.

My R5 is running on v1.5.1 and seems no better or worse than v1.4 for BIF.

I've downloaded 1.5.2, but I'll be waiting a few days before I install it - I prefer others to do the beta testing...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Somewhere out there an Andrew Reid and the remaining 5 posters of his loony-bin website are smiling like a Cheshire Cat on heroin begging for fullfilment of his own prophecy.
You mean the guy who was 100% correct about the fake overheat timer that Canon used in the R5, that the fanboys were in groupthink collective denial about??? :oops:

He might be an angry guy that bluntly states the facts, but that doesn't logically follow that he's wrong, as we have seen after all the evidence mounted up to vindicate his position, and Canon issued a firmware update which then magically made the overheat warning time vary with actual temperature!

Have no idea what his "R5C prophesy" was, and couldn't care less. Each argument stands on its own logic and the evidence behind it, not on the personality of the messenger. But hey, why let reason get in the way of a good ad hominem attack! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Canon probably figured out that due to the economic downturn, many Australians could no longer afford the overinflated prices of RF gear, being twice the amount relative to the US prices when compared to median income. If they're not selling, why ship more? Maybe people there are ordering directly from the US instead, as it's definitely cheaper, even with international shipping! Not sure if the warranty covers them though. :confused:

What I've just said above may be a tongue-in-cheek statement, but consider any of the 'unavailable' Canon RF gear that is almost impossible to get in the US, check the AU stores and its all just sitting there for some reason... :oops:

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Firmware issues do seem to be causing problems for Canon and its users at the moment.

My R5 is running on v1.5.1 and seems no better or worse than v1.4 for BIF.

I've downloaded 1.5.2, but I'll be waiting a few days before I install it - I prefer others to do the beta testing...
1.5.2 on my R5 works fine with respect to no freezes and what I consider very good AF performance on BIF. I shot all yesterday evening and a few hours this morning, so not a huge test. Is the AF better than with 1.5.1? I really can't say. It seems about the same. But, given what appears to be a huge variance in what different R5 owners have experienced since the R5 came out with regard to freezing and AF performance, my experience alone adds very little to determining if 1.5.2 is a fix for the masses.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
1.5.2 on my R5 works fine with respect to no freezes and what I consider very good AF performance on BIF. I shot all yesterday evening and a few hours this morning, so not a huge test. Is the AF better than with 1.5.1? I really can't say. It seems about the same. But, given what appears to be a huge variance in what different R5 owners have experienced since the R5 came out with regard to freezing and AF performance, my experience alone adds very little to determining if 1.5.2 is a fix for the masses.
Yes. My opinion is that most of the freezes and AF issues are connected to the way in which the buttons and AF settings are customised, with some permutations causing firmware conflicts. The number of possible permutations runs into many thousands, and probably explains why there is so much variation between the experiences of different users.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0