Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It is a big deal for Japnese camera companies since it is their home country but there is an Olympics every 2 years

The Japanese camera companies do not select who represents each country in each sport. It doesn't matter how much the camera companies want to put on the games, if the sanctioning bodies for each sport in each country do not have qualifying events and send athletes, there will be no legitimate Olympiad.

There's an Olympiad (summer games) every four years and a Winter Games (much smaller and not considered an Olympiad since the events are not modeled on the ancient Greek games) every four years that is offset by about 18 months from the summer games, which puts them in calendar years that are two years apart. But the 2022 Winter games will only be about 18 months after the original 2020 Summer games were scheduled. IF the 2021 Summer Games are held, the 2022 Winter games will be six or seven months later.

Upvote 0
The Japanese camera companies do not select who represents each country in each sport. It doesn't matter how much the camera companies want to put on the games, if the sanctioning bodies for each sport in each country do not have qualifying events and send athletes, there will be no legitimate Olympiad.

There's an Olympiad (summer games) every four years and a Winter Games (much smaller and not considered an Olympiad since the events are not modeled on the ancient Greek games) every four years that is offset by about 18 months from the summer games, which puts them in calendar years that are two years apart. But the 2022 Winter games will only be about 18 months after the original 2020 Summer games were scheduled. IF the 2021 Summer Games are held, the 2022 Winter games will be six or seven months later.
It's possible that the 2021 event will be pushed back to 2022 or even 2023

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It is possible that Paris could be bumped a year later.

I highly doubt that will happen. Look at the history of the Olympic Games. They've always been held at the four year intervals defined by years divisible by 4. The Games lost in 1916, 1940, and 1944 were not "made up" later. That history is something the IOC takes seriously.

Upvote 0
I highly doubt that will happen. Look at the history of the Olympic Games. They've always been held at the four year intervals defined by years divisible by 4. The Games lost in 1916, 1940, and 1944 were not "made up" later. That history is something the IOC takes seriously.
The difference between the 1916, 1940, and 1944 Games is billions in sponsorship and govt money. That's why Japan did not outright cancel it and chose to delay it by 52 weeks.

With COVID-19 being a global issue all movements towards construction for future events venues are also delayed..

I doubt any of the venues for the 2022 and 2024 Games are completed by now.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Thanks for the reply, padam. What would be involved to modify an R5 to get the better H-Alpha response? I also use DXO PL4 in post, and wonder if it is possible there to alter the red channel so that it would take daylight balanced photos? I know it would void the warranty, but that's only got half a year left for me anyway.
There is a place in NJ that does conversions.
I would imagine there is a place near where you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
There is a place in NJ that does conversions.
I would imagine there is a place near where you are.
Thanks, EOS4Life. I'm thinking that my R5, after the 12 month warranty period is up, might be a good candidate for an updated H-A filter. Too bad it doesn't have lit buttons or optional red display LCD & EVF. But one can always make do (and the displays can be dimmed quite a bit). I think it would be wonderful with f1.2 or so lenses on it, giving them all a 2nd life (after dark) ;)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
What's your point? My writing was pretty clear. I've since read some reviews on the Ra and it further reinforces my desire to not buy it for my purposes. If you just want to revel it putting someone down, that's not a very nice thing to do.

My point is, the Ra (and 60Da and 20Da before it) have their filter stack modified to the point that the "green" and "blue" photosites on the sensor are also highly sensitive to near IR and IR light. There's no way to discriminate between "green" light and "near IR" detected by "green" sensels. There's no way to discriminate between "blue" light and "near IR" light detected by "blue" sensels. So it's not possible to "adjust the red channel" and use it for a general purpose camera as well as for an astro camera. It would be like trying to get realistic colors from B&W film.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
My point is, the Ra (and 60Da and 20Da before it) have their filter stack modified to the point that the "green" and "blue" photosites on the sensor are also highly sensitive to near IR and IR light. There's no way to discriminate between "green" light and "near IR" detected by "green" sensels. There's no way to discriminate between "blue" light and "near IR" light detected by "blue" sensels. So it's not possible to "adjust the red channel" and use it for a general purpose camera as well as for an astro camera. It would be like trying to get realistic colors from B&W film.
Thank you for the feedback. If I misjudged your previous post intent, then I am sorry.

I was not aware of the different sensitivities of the G and B channels. What you mentioned makes it sound like you can't get good color pictures from the Ra in daylight. But the long review I read (linked below) mentioned by another user, said that the Ra takes great daylight color photos and with just a slight adjustment of colors (eg. if the face color is off somewhat) it can be easily corrected. Have you found this not to be the case? The whole intent of what I want to do is to have a H-A camera that can also take great daylight photos (with an easy color correction) so I have the best of both worlds. If this isn't possible then I would be making a mistake to have (for instance) my R5 modified with a H-A filter by one of the companies that does that.

www.thephoblographer.com

Review: Canon EOS Ra (It Almost Shines as Bright as the Stars in the Sky)
The Canon EOS Ra has been designed for those who love astrophotography, but is this specialized Mirrorless camera worth the price? Let's find out.
www.thephoblographer.com
www.thephoblographer.com

Upvote 0
8K video is useless for astro work.
Smaller photosites (i.e. higher resolution) aren't that much more useful for anything but planetary astro work.

Isn't most planetary imaging done from video? Stacking hundreds of frames to even out atmospheric distortion, get the best resolution, etc? In that case I'd have thought higher resolution video modes were of benefit, although it may be that small sensor webcams are still better for that purpose.

Upvote 0
What I want to really see is the Animal Eye-AF they implemented on the R5 & R6 to these lineups including the current EOS R. One thing I miss with Sony when I had it for a short period. It was insane how good it was and for taking animal photos, even better as I do a lot of photos for a rescue. But hated Sony's open sensor design. It was a dust magnet from hell. If the R7 or whatever they call it has at least a decent 4K bitrate I may jump on it.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks, padam, for all the information! :)

After reading these reviews, I don't think I'm interested in getting an Ra, for the following reasons:
* They only put a different filter on the sensor, and put a 30x magnification feature on it.
* They don't have a nighttime red-only view in their LCD and EVF. That's just a software patch which would have been easy!
* They have no nighttime illumination on their buttons (well, neither would a R5a, but a R1 aftermarket-modified would I assume)
* They have no astro-tracker feature, which a future R5a(or any Rxa) should have by now.
* Their daylight photos are great (yes that's a plus, but also means any future Rxa or aftermarket-modified one would too)

So, I'll wait to see what the R1 looks like as it seems it's the first (and maybe only) top level R body to come out this year.
Come August it may be the best decision to modify my R5 with a H-Alpha enabling filter and just enjoy that.
Well, there is actually more to it than that.

If you want to stay Canon, the Ra is probably the best one for astro and probably superior to the newer ones, more technology in a lot of cases also means more noise.

If you want the best long-exposure performance it is the Panasonic S1, wIth Sony A7III or Z6 not that far behind.

Star tracking will not work without a factory compatible or built-in GPS (calibrated for all three axis) , so if that's what you want, Pentax is the only one to go for, Canon might never implement that, neither does any of the mirrorless competition.

But the main takeaway is that the newest camera is not the best for astrophotography and the Ra is a good option as far as Canon goes.

Upvote 0