Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I’m not a video guy (though that is changing), and I usually err on the side of Canon when it comes to the video features that they put into cameras. I realize a lot of what they may omit from a camera can sometimes come down to reliability and usability, as they want to make a creative tool that you don’t really have to worry about. I think anyone can admit Canon is probably at the top of the heap when it comes to these sorts things, even if the spec list doesn’t set the world on fire.

I also realize Canon seems to want to protect camera models that are up the food chain. Though I’ve always liked Steve Jobs’ philosophy on this; “If you don’t cannibalize yourself, someone else will”. But that’s a conversation for another day.
Now we have the Canon EOS RP, a small full-frame camera that looks fantastic for stills shooters. Video shooters were pretty much expecting an EOS M50 with a full frame sensor and an RF mount, which I think was a completely justified expectation. No one was...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 5 users
I can see the 23/24 fps issue being easy to resolve, but I think possibly that with the APS-C lens, the image circle is too small to cover enough pixels for 1080P. Maybe.

I'm not a video guy so it doesn't mean a lot to me, but a lot of people do like to dabble into video in a pretty big way.

1080P would be half the resolution (linear) on the same sensor area hence there is no image circle issue. It's just a non-existing setting.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
basically the exact same sensor as the 6dii, I don't recall hearing about this as a problem with the 6dii. What it comes down to is they have to have a different sensor readout for the crop frame vs full frame. They already know how though, so it's not like they have to rewrite the software. Common cannon, get your act together! If this thing had 1080p 24fps AND IBIS it would be the new vlogger camera of choice. So close.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
I can see the 23/24 fps issue being easy to resolve, but I think possibly that with the APS-C lens, the image circle is too small to cover enough pixels for 1080P. Maybe.

I'm not a video guy so it doesn't mean a lot to me, but a lot of people do like to dabble into video in a pretty big way.
Nah. Sony does this with all of their cameras with no problem. In fact, the 1.5x crop mode is considered the better mode on the Sony a7rII and a7rIII because of how it bins the pixels.

The R and the RP automatically recognize when an EF-S lens is attached and crop the image to the sensor. For the EOS R, it automatically crops 1.8x for EF-S lenses in video (though you can only shoot 1080/30 and 1080/24...not 1080/60 for some inane reason). Unless the Digic processors are signficantly weaker than Sony, there's really no excuse to not be able to do it when 1080 video only needs 2mp of sensor.

Thats a huge flaw, because the way a lot of people have worked around the 1.7x crop on Canon 4k is to use EF-S lenses to get wider. If you lock that off, you completely kill an RF camera for any wide angle filming. Native mount you cant get wider than 43mm equivalent. With EF you can get to 24mm equivalent, but you're talking heavier/more expensive lenses than an EF-S 10-18mm.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
... or is the RP just a test object where they respond after users had their word? Some type of market research which is much cheaper and maybe much better than doing that by a consulting firm which (1) has no interest in photo/video and (2) no interest in a good outcome of its consulting.

If it goes the way of the EOS M original it will be 700 EUR/$ within one year so I have to rethink buying it just for FF photography or they add some features afterwards via firmware. Both ways are suited to convince me to try that camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
If Canon is going to do this kind of thing with video in 2019, they'd be better off selling it with no video capabilities at all. Leica does just that with certain models, and it's at least honest and clear: this camera is for stills, not video--please buy a different model if you want moving picture.
I am pretty sure that this camera will produce more video coverage than all Leica models combined.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
2 crazy things is that canon had the first 4k dslr back in like 2012. and then the 1dx II has 4k 60p and 120 1080p. so their cameras are capable of good video modes. this has to be just nerfing on purpose or the digic 8 is crap. I just say that because there is a lot of talk about canon cant do certain thing because of the processors but a 3 year old camera is killing it even compared to their 2019 line up.

Upvote 0