Canon confirms addition of Canon Log 3, Cinema RAW Light, lower bit rates and more for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5

This is good

if they can do some more fiddling with the cooldown times for the 8k/4k 120p then itll be a great camera.
I dont need long clips, but I do need the camera to be consistent between shots. They seem to be working on it which is great news

Also, what should we expect with Clog3? +1 stop dynamic range? more? less?

Firmware update for the cool down:

BEFORE:

iWait_CoolDown = 10;

NOW:

iWait_CoolDown = 5;

That's all it was!

Haha!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Does lower bit rate not equate to a reduction in IQ?

Yes, but is it not if that is perceptable? I've never tried cRAW, but others claim that it is difficult to see where the compression has impacted the quality. I'm sure there are probably threads here where people have seen it.

Ultimately, it will be interesting to see if CRL offers better quality than 4KHQ and for less or comparable cost in terms of heat etc.

I'm also guessing that Digic X has the capability to assist in HW - whether that is similar to what it needs for cRAW or whether they are comparable, not a scoobie.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think the real gain would be being able to store more footage on a card. The extra processing would lead me to expect more heat and shorter run times...but that's just my $0.02.

Truth is we don't know.

I would be surprised if Canon hasn't already tested it quickly and they know the heat envelope is lower, otherwise would that not be putting gasoline on the fire again. Unless CRL was always on the plan, I am hoping this will lower the heat for 8K Raw and the storage to boot. I'm also hoping as per above, a lot of it is in Digic as HW routines which will cost less in terms of compute and heat.

Upvote 0
R6 you mean? Another poster says Gordon Lang respond to No Life youtuber's video, where he hints at R6 firmware coming.
I suspect the first R6 firmware will be bug fix just like this first R5 firmware. The subsequent firmware will add features.

Yes, I can see the R6 getting the fixes, the changes in the heat algorithms and then subsequent I think they will get the HD120 and the lower bitrate 4K modes. The HD120 seems to have not quite made the cut - no doubt due to Covid - and the rest will help alleviate the time before you get the overheat warning, and how long it takes to recover.

I think clog3 will only be for the R5 - as others have said - differentiation, but who knows, maybe Canon will surprise us all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0