Canon confirms addition of Canon Log 3, Cinema RAW Light, lower bit rates and more for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5

just bloody fix the overheating issue Canon! The R5 is utterly unusable as a camera at this moment in time! I want my 8K cinema raw with unlimited record times as PROMISED!!!!!

/s
Please indicate silly, sarcastic, and otherwise ridiculous comments with symbols or other indicators noting your un-seriousness for those of us who are otherwise left with no idea of what you could possibly believe. Thanks.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
R6 you mean? Another poster says Gordon Lang respond to No Life youtuber's video, where he hints at R6 firmware coming.
I suspect the first R6 firmware will be bug fix just like this first R5 firmware. The subsequent firmware will add features.
From Canon Europe's website:

Firmware updates for the EOS R6 are also currently in development, including the fixes found in EOS R5 version 1.1.0 firmware.

See https://www.canon-europe.com/press-...anon-announces-eos-r5-firmware-version-1-1-0/

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I don't suppose there are any rumours to update the EOS R firmware with animal AF? :rolleyes:
It may not have enough processing power. Despite popular opinion, not everything is possible with just a few lines of code, but data rates for all processing jobs have to be considered and if there is a dedicated ASIC for focus system the R still might not have what is needed. The R uses Digic 8 and DPAF , while R5/6 use Digic X processor that is at least 4 times faster and have DPAF 2.

Upvote 0
Does lower bit rate not equate to a reduction in IQ?

It does in a way, but not that much. There is no impact on sharpness, but the higher compression means some information is being averaged out over areas.
Take the latest A73s which shoots 4k120 in 280mbits/s and it looks great. On the R5 side shooting 4k120 it's around 1800 mbits/s which is an insane amount of data. In theory, the r5 image should be 5 times better, but it isn't.
Higher bitrates allow for more pushing (color grading) in the post before introducing artifacts. But these higher bitrates are nowhere near having the same impact in image quality or even on the latitude for color grading as have resolution and bit depth + chroma subsampling. Both cameras shoot similar 4k and in 10 bit with 422 subsampling. So quality of image is basically the same. The sony has even an edge because of the dynamic range. When Canon adds clog 3, both cameras will have basically the same dynamic range too. At that point, the only thing that will seperate those cameras will be color science. By the way, lower bitrates should extend overheating times if not entirely eliminate them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I wish they added clog 3 to the eos r too. That would be great!
They should simply include their different logs in all cameras, just like sony does, even when some of those flatter logs are unusable on the lower end cameras.
Different sensor and chip. Less dynamic range and more noise. It’s very possible, if not likely, that it can’t manage it.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
R6 you mean?

No actually I was thinking about the "confirmed by Canon" future update to EOS R5 from the original CR posting. Post has no source mentioned, and I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. But a later comment gave the answer (plus also promise of update to EOS R6 too) :

In addition to the EOS R5 firmware version 1.1.0, Canon is already working on further future updates in response to feedback about the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5. Canon plans to introduce the following video recording functions via a series of future firmware updates for those models.

EOS-1D X Mark III
  • Canon Log 3 option
  • Lower bit rate option for 5.5K RAW video recording
  • Lower bit rate option for all the IPB video recording modes
EOS R5
  • Canon Log 3 option
  • Lower bit rate option for 8K RAW video recording
  • Lower bit rate option for all the IPB video recording modes
  • Adding 119.88 fps option for Full HD (1080p) recording
These updates will be available free of charge from the Canon Europe support website in the future. Firmware updates for the EOS R6 are also currently in development, including the fixes found in EOS R5 version 1.1.0 firmware.

• Haha
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
So... You meant to tell me canon didn’t think of these ideas before they released the flagship mirrorless camera?

This is suppose to be your bread and butter so why leave out helpful tools?

Have you ever designed a product and had to get it to market? Not everything can always get done by the market release date. Especially in a year with a pandemic where many things are an extra challenge.

Upvote 0