Canon confirms addition of Canon Log 3, Cinema RAW Light, lower bit rates and more for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5

ClickIt_AC

Shoot First... ask questions later!
Dec 11, 2013
Yorkshire
www.alamy.com
I believe a lot of the AF calculations are done in Digic X, so what we have with the R is about as good as it is going to get.
That IS interesting. Was hoping the DPAF was enough. Looks like I better save up... (no rush I guess, while they sort out the heat problems!) :unsure:

Upvote 0
Are you in lockdown? I'm in the only state in Australia that is in lockdown. Can't leave home more than 5km, and only for food, 8pm Curfew!!!
I'm bored as hell, but the AUS exchange rate is a killer, so I can't buy anything as of now, got to wait for discount.

I'm in Paris! Life is stil strange, but at least we're free again. Till we're not.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
OK, that explains a lot.
I have never used a Clog3 before so I cannot tell for sure. Like many, I am anxious to have it with the 8K cinema raw light. I have heard good thing about the C200 from my friends and they suggested me to consider that option once it is offered on the R5.
I have had overheating on mine on the 4K HQ using the version 1.0. I haven't used it long enough to see with the new version. I upgraded mine two nights ago.
I have tested the 4K120 and very happy with it. I was able to shoot 100GB before the warning. It depends, of course, on the way you use the camera.
For the sake of safety, I bought a 2T SSD with Ninja V. That is because I shoot mainly concerts and they last 2-3 hours. Even my old 1DX II cannot handle that long. It doesn't have alarm capability, but it is warm to the touch and I don't want to take a chance.
Back to competition, I do not see a need to consider competition at 4K 30p level. Both deliver great quality. I do not own the Sony so I cannot make a direct comparison. I would consider the Sony to be superior to the R5 only, and only with 120fps. As far as 4K 30 concerned, the R5 gives you a lot more possibilities. Do you need them? It is up to you. You can have 4K standard, 4K crop (my favorite) and 4K HQ. The main difference is that the canon 4K crop is a downsampled from 5K and allows me to shoot with a 1.6 extender in camera. For concert shooter like me, that is a very big plus. The quality is right in par with the 4K HQ so I decided to scratch the HQ, unless I have to shoot in crowd and will need a full frame view. That is very rare. Most of the time, I shoot from the back of the room. I use the full frame only during breaks, interviewing fans.
Let me know of your opinion, when you find out more about the Clog 3. For me, it is a plus, and may have an impact with my workflow. I often shoot concert under colored light. Color precision becomes important (main reason I was attracted by the 8K in the first place). I haven't had a chance (due to covid) to test R5 under these conditions yet, but if cinema raw is here, I will seriously consider it, even if it gives me just 30min of shooting. 8K cinema raw light should work wonders under blue/red/green light. Let's see.

Fair point about the 4K24. Both will be excellent cameras, especially if CLOG3 reduces the DR gap between the two brands.
Then I guess it's just about personal preference/experience.
I am afraid I will like the Sony better.

Last year I had the A7RIV and the EOS R and I preferred without a doubt the Sony for both photos and videos. This year, the R5 has the advantage of having stills, but I fear that I will like the look and feel of the Sony image better. I hope not. I want to love the R5 so much.

Upvote 0
So I just got my R6 from UPS and it has Firmware 1.1. I'm really curious to see if it has improved performance. I'm going to test it out today and see what I find.
Really? That is strange I got mine 7 days ago and it is on 1.0.0. And there is no firmware upgrade officially for R6 jet...

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Fair point about the 4K24. Both will be excellent cameras, especially if CLOG3 reduces the DR gap between the two brands.
Then I guess it's just about personal preference/experience.
I am afraid I will like the Sony better.

Last year I had the A7RIV and the EOS R and I preferred without a doubt the Sony for both photos and videos. This year, the R5 has the advantage of having stills, but I fear that I will like the look and feel of the Sony image better. I hope not. I want to love the R5 so much.
Sounds fair. As long as you know what you want, you are set.
I prefer being given options that I can adapt to my shooting style, rather than someone making the choice for me. That's why the R5 is, video-wise, a much better camera for me. Not to mention that the photography is one of the kind.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
the problem is that your perspective does not come from the professional video point of view. 8K is not there to be used as an final 8K product but to give flexibility in editing,like reframing, or u can use one camera as basically 3 different view angles in an interview scenario which allows easier editing of the whatever the subject is speaking of. Better quality of master shots etc....
Also there are lot of use case scenarios in photography with screen grabs especially with 8K raw video.
The problem is that all that is used by smaller part of the R5 owners, but still there are some that will use it...I'm one of them. Will work fine as a B or a C camera at some of the larger projects I do...
You mean 3 different magnifications.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
Do you guys think there will be any chance they'd give the R5 4K or 1080p Raw Options?

Since RAW is always related to 1:1 pixel readout (otherwise it wouldn't be "raw") it would be possible in the 4K crop mode. But if you'd only use a 1080p sized section of the sensor for 1080 RAW you'd have a ridiculous crop factor...

Upvote 0
That IS interesting. Was hoping the DPAF was enough. Looks like I better save up... (no rush I guess, while they sort out the heat problems!) :unsure:

I didnt realise also until I read about it somewhere recently.

DPAF provides all the data, but it is Digic which is doing the calculations and presumably thus the heavy lifting.

I'm assuming therefore Digic X can do more than the Digic in the R and hence the differences.

Btw, the Animal AF works in video modes also. Not sure what other manufacturers can right now, but Philip Bloom has a petition for Sony to do it. I haven't compared whether there is a slow down in 60fps vs 24fps say, but that's an amazing capability. It's not perfect ie if the subject is partially covered by similar coloured objects (green bird, green leaves), but nevertheless pretty damn useful for me.

Upvote 0
EOSHD's response, 100% relevant to Canon EOS R5 Firmware update. 100 Per-CENT, SON!!

Now listen to the truth.

I’ve been around a while now and I am tired of some of the unethical nonsense I have had to put up from people.

Like the time when I was writing for DPReview and out of the blue the features editor was arrested.

Like the time Philip Bloom twisted my arm into covering up domestic violence allegations from not one, but two of his ex-partners, deleting posts on my forum.

There’s a lot of unethical skeletons in the closet.
from EOSHD.com

Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
Canon has a feedback form on product improvements where you can list software and hardware suggestions. You really should do that. Let me know if you need a link.

Thanks! A link would Be great - I searched a bit on the Canon & CPS websites but didn’t see anything that looked like a “Suggestions” link

Upvote 0