Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Re: Canon EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

phixional ninja said:
I just got this lens a couple of days ago (the L), and I'm just blown away. I'm used to there being a noticeable change when I click the "Enable Lens Profile Corrections" box in Photoshop, and with this lens... nothing.

Great to know you got the L but the thread's not for the L. ;)

Untitled by alabang, on Flickr

Upvote 0

i'm just an amateur and I was kind of in a fight with myself on whether to buy this lens or not... well i did and I won't ever regret my decision, I find focusing a bit hard but i guess it's due to a lack of experience with macros.
love this lens

_MG_1629-2.jpg di ocangelo, su Flickr

_MG_2100.jpg di ocangelo, su Flickr

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2011

I got inspired to go play with bugs. This is my 100mm 2.8 macro, a 5D2 and a 580exII. I made a snoot with tube and a bowl to difuse light. I need to make a better version of the snoot- I did not line it to throw light. I plan on putting foil in it to bounce the light more. Also, I need to play with on crop 7D for the reach.

Attachments

• grasshopper.jpg
    grasshopper.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 2,533
Upvote 0

ddashti said:
Kernuak said:
I hope that's with extension tubes or that is a very big moth :p.
No extension tubes were used for this shot.
What size is the moth? I know that some of the tropical moths grow larger, but then I suppose an elephant hawk moth we get here is pretty big (although I'm yet to see one, let alone try to photograph one.

Upvote 0

scalesusa said:
We have some Chive plants in our front yard, and with a very late spring, they are just blooming. Bees love them. i do not have the patience to make a complex macro setup, I just walk up and shoot away. The 100mm l is not really any sharper, but its easier for a person like me to get reasonably sharp hand held photos.

All of these are cropped to near 100%.

bumble-bee-spring-2011-1-XL.jpg

bumble-bee-spring-2011-2-XL.jpg

bumble-bee-spring-2011-3-XL.jpg

Scale...I've been debating whether or not to upgrade to the 100L, but I've read over and over again that it isn't any sharper...just like you said. So the only advantage besides build Q is the IS, but don't you shoot handheld at 1/100 and faster when doing this type of macro? (the walk up and shoot away kind- which is also my preference)

Upvote 0