Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Slyham said:
Hello all. New to the forum. I just got the 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. The budget couldn't stretch to the L but I am loving this lens. Here are a couple as I tested out the lens. Taken with my trusty T1i. Any feedback is welcome.
Hello and welcome, Slyham.

I like your pictures, especially the dandelion 1 and 2.
I think, I'll have to try something similar next year ;)

The Oxalis2 is the one I prefer from these two, because with the little bit bigger distance and the addition of background the composition is more appealing to me.

So, keep it up!

Northstar

EOS 5D Mark IV
Mar 31, 2012
US - Midwest
Maximilian said:
Slyham said:
Hello all. New to the forum. I just got the 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. The budget couldn't stretch to the L but I am loving this lens. Here are a couple as I tested out the lens. Taken with my trusty T1i. Any feedback is welcome.

The Oxalis2 is the one I prefer from these two, because with the little bit bigger distance and the addition of background the composition is more appealing to me.

So, keep it up!
i agree with maximilian...the second dandelion shot is very well done!

Slyham

EOS M6 Mark II
Nov 17, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Northstar said:
Maximilian said:
Slyham said:

So, keep it up!
i agree with maximilian...the second dandelion shot is very well done!
Thanks maximilian and Northstar. I appreciate the encouragement. :D

Maximilian said:
Since I just got the lens, I found myself always wanted to go full magnification, but as you point out, full magnification does not mean it will be the best composition. Thanks for the tip. :)

daveypoo

I'm New Here
Aug 4, 2012
The only thing I don't like about this lens is that you cannot use a filter with MR-14EX Ring flash. Otherwise, it is a great lens!!! Tack sharp, for sure....

Badger

EOS 90D
Dec 9, 2012
Thinking of getting this lens primarily for portrait attached to a 6D. It seems a few people are using if for portraits but most of the shots here are macro.
For those of you who own this lens with a FF camera, but aren't using it for portraits, what are you using? I am also at some point planning to get the 85mm but thinking of this one first.

Random Orbits

EOS 5D Mark IV
Mar 14, 2012
Badger said:
Thinking of getting this lens primarily for portrait attached to a 6D. It seems a few people are using if for portraits but most of the shots here are macro.
For those of you who own this lens with a FF camera, but aren't using it for portraits, what are you using? I am also at some point planning to get the 85mm but thinking of this one first.
This lens works well for portraits. Before I got a better tripod, the 100L was about as heavy as I could go with the tripod, which was why I used it over the 70-200 II. The bokeh isn't as nice as the 135L, but there is a lot value in being to focus close with the same lens. The max mag. spec for the 135L is low.