Attachments

• _BJP7387.jpg
    _BJP7387.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 300

slclick

iPhone 2
Dec 17, 2013
Click said:
Very nice series, slclick. I especially like the first picture.

Thanks! It's 'Sprinter' here in Utah. Some interesting decay and just a few things popping up for color. Lots of ocher.

Jerryrigged

CANON EOS R & 5D IV
Jul 15, 2016
California
Some Portraits with the 100mm f/2.8L Macro:

Attachments

• IMG_6246.jpg
    IMG_6246.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_6270.jpg
    IMG_6270.jpg
    766.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_6345.jpg
    IMG_6345.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_6277.jpg
    IMG_6277.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 257

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
My spider will eat your stink bug. :)

I took advantage of the refurbished sale last week and picked up my first macro lens, the Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 L IS. Here is my first macro photo with the new lens. I was using F/4.5, which didn't give quite enough depth of field. I will know better next time. The lens does not appear to need any kind of focus adjustment. Like virtually all of the L lenses I've tried, the focus is right on the money with my 5D3.

Now, does anyone know what kind of spider this is? He/she lives near Portland, Oregon.

p254709149-5.jpg

lion rock

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 1, 2013
Re: My spider will eat your stink bug. :)

drmikeinpdx,
May be an orb web weaving spider.
-r

drmikeinpdx said:
I took advantage of the refurbished sale last week and picked up my first macro lens, the Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 L IS. Here is my first macro photo with the new lens. I was using F/4.5, which didn't give quite enough depth of field. I will know better next time. The lens does not appear to need any kind of focus adjustment. Like virtually all of the L lenses I've tried, the focus is right on the money with my 5D3.

Now, does anyone know what kind of spider this is? He/she lives near Portland, Oregon.

DominoDude

EOS R
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Re: My spider will eat your stink bug. :)

drmikeinpdx said:
Looks similar to one of this species -> Araneus diadematus - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus_diadematus

Mar 31, 2014
Center of my universe
rpt said:
chrysoberyl said:
Turk's Cap Lily.
Lovely! Did you focus stack it? Could you share your workflow?

Sure!

Workflow
- Lighting: shade on a sunny day
- 6D + 100mm L
- ISO 500
- f/11
- Minimally post processed in DPP and cropped quite a bit

No focus stacking. With this lens and large (3" wide in this case) objects, I tend to take my shots 6' or so away and crop to get acceptable DOF.

At some point I will learn focus stacking, but I'd rather spend my time locating and shooting pretty wildflowers. No criticism of those who do focus stack! Just not my preference.

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
chrysoberyl said:
Click said:
Very nice. Well done, chrysobery.

Thanks! This is a truly versatile lens.

+1 on the image, as well as on the "versatile" comment.

I've had my 100L for about 6 years, but use it mostly for in-studio portrait (alternating with the 70-200/2.8L IS II) and product photography. I really should get out and do some more nature macro work ...

Mar 31, 2014
Center of my universe
Old Man's Ear fungus. Edible, BTW. Looks as yummy as it sounds!

I can see where focus stacking would be quite useful in this case. What's the best way to learn the technique - do a few shots and delve into Photoshop?

Attachments

• Old Man's Ear Fungus 1.JPG
    Old Man's Ear Fungus 1.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 274

rpt

EOS R6
Mar 7, 2012
India
chrysoberyl said:
rpt said:
chrysoberyl said:
Turk's Cap Lily.
Lovely! Did you focus stack it? Could you share your workflow?

Sure!

Workflow
- Lighting: shade on a sunny day
- 6D + 100mm L
- ISO 500
- f/11
- Minimally post processed in DPP and cropped quite a bit

No focus stacking. With this lens and large (3" wide in this case) objects, I tend to take my shots 6' or so away and crop to get acceptable DOF.

At some point I will learn focus stacking, but I'd rather spend my time locating and shooting pretty wildflowers. No criticism of those who do focus stack! Just not my preference.
Thanks. I use Magic Lantern for focus stacking. For flowers it works only if there is no wind. Then I merge the images in photoshop. There are some free softwares too to do the merging.

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
During a break between "snow events" the sun came out and I decided to put my macro lens on my T5i to photograph some odd purple berries. While I was photographing, a robin dropped in and warned me not to eat any of them. I decided to see if the macro lens would work as a bird lens.

p1087617201-5.jpg

p1087617205-5.jpg

DominoDude

EOS R
Feb 7, 2013
::1
drmikeinpdx said:
During a break between "snow events" the sun came out and I decided to put my macro lens on my T5i to photograph some odd purple berries. While I was photographing, a robin dropped in and warned me not to eat any of them. I decided to see if the macro lens would work as a bird lens.

Wow, outstanding!
I really love the weird coloured berries - never seen anything like it before.
The 100/2.8L is bloody awesome at all distances. I've used it myself for birds as the one I have for my avatar - a Jackdaw.