Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
My spider will eat your stink bug. :)

I took advantage of the refurbished sale last week and picked up my first macro lens, the Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 L IS. Here is my first macro photo with the new lens. I was using F/4.5, which didn't give quite enough depth of field. I will know better next time. The lens does not appear to need any kind of focus adjustment. Like virtually all of the L lenses I've tried, the focus is right on the money with my 5D3.

Now, does anyone know what kind of spider this is? He/she lives near Portland, Oregon.

p254709149-5.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Re: My spider will eat your stink bug. :)

drmikeinpdx,
May be an orb web weaving spider.
-r

drmikeinpdx said:
I took advantage of the refurbished sale last week and picked up my first macro lens, the Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 L IS. Here is my first macro photo with the new lens. I was using F/4.5, which didn't give quite enough depth of field. I will know better next time. The lens does not appear to need any kind of focus adjustment. Like virtually all of the L lenses I've tried, the focus is right on the money with my 5D3.

Now, does anyone know what kind of spider this is? He/she lives near Portland, Oregon.

Upvote 0
rpt said:
chrysoberyl said:
Turk's Cap Lily.
Lovely! Did you focus stack it? Could you share your workflow?

Sure!

Workflow
- Lighting: shade on a sunny day
- 6D + 100mm L
- ISO 500
- f/11
- Minimally post processed in DPP and cropped quite a bit

No focus stacking. With this lens and large (3" wide in this case) objects, I tend to take my shots 6' or so away and crop to get acceptable DOF.

At some point I will learn focus stacking, but I'd rather spend my time locating and shooting pretty wildflowers. No criticism of those who do focus stack! Just not my preference.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
chrysoberyl said:
Click said:
Very nice. Well done, chrysobery.

Thanks! This is a truly versatile lens.

+1 on the image, as well as on the "versatile" comment.

I've had my 100L for about 6 years, but use it mostly for in-studio portrait (alternating with the 70-200/2.8L IS II) and product photography. I really should get out and do some more nature macro work ...

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
chrysoberyl said:
rpt said:
chrysoberyl said:
Turk's Cap Lily.
Lovely! Did you focus stack it? Could you share your workflow?

Sure!

Workflow
- Lighting: shade on a sunny day
- 6D + 100mm L
- ISO 500
- f/11
- Minimally post processed in DPP and cropped quite a bit

No focus stacking. With this lens and large (3" wide in this case) objects, I tend to take my shots 6' or so away and crop to get acceptable DOF.

At some point I will learn focus stacking, but I'd rather spend my time locating and shooting pretty wildflowers. No criticism of those who do focus stack! Just not my preference.
Thanks. I use Magic Lantern for focus stacking. For flowers it works only if there is no wind. Then I merge the images in photoshop. There are some free softwares too to do the merging.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
During a break between "snow events" the sun came out and I decided to put my macro lens on my T5i to photograph some odd purple berries. While I was photographing, a robin dropped in and warned me not to eat any of them. I decided to see if the macro lens would work as a bird lens.

p1087617201-5.jpg

p1087617205-5.jpg

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
drmikeinpdx said:
During a break between "snow events" the sun came out and I decided to put my macro lens on my T5i to photograph some odd purple berries. While I was photographing, a robin dropped in and warned me not to eat any of them. I decided to see if the macro lens would work as a bird lens.

Wow, outstanding!
I really love the weird coloured berries - never seen anything like it before.
The 100/2.8L is bloody awesome at all distances. I've used it myself for birds as the one I have for my avatar - a Jackdaw.

Upvote 0