Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM Noisy Focus Ring Issue Revealed

lastcoyote

5D Mark III
Sep 19, 2012
Brighton, England
R1-7D said:
neuroanatomist said:
For those claiming this as 'ammo'... The complaints I've seen (and heard, including video) have all been about a clicking sound from the ZOOM ring, this post is about the FOCUS ring. I trust that Canon knows the difference.

Or maybe that's the exact reason we aren't getting any help - they got the two rings mixed up in the memo! ;D :p

That would be alarming to say the least!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Is this the earth shattering Canon screwing the customer leak? ... just curious, how many EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II lenses did Canon sell? and how many of those had this noise issue? and how many times did Canon charge $450 for each of those noise issue cases? and how many millions did Canon make by charging the $450 for those lenses?

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Canon Rumors said:
privatebydesign said:
This is the kind of adjustment to internal parts and service advice all companies that care about their customers give out to their service departments as a continual ongoing practice.

Releasing it like this, with no context, or the numbers or percentage of affected units, as Canon know very well, will just cause hysteria amongst a vocal few, many of whom won't actually own the lens, panic amongst many that do but don't have the "issue", inundation of service centers who will not replace anything just because "it made a noise once", and a host of other entirely negative outcomes.

Doing this like this is not a positive thing to do by any measure or rational. You are in a unique position to cause or limit any backlash, releasing confidential documents like this needs to be done with the greatest care, a huge amount of back story and lots of context. I'd suggest getting the opinion of a very good and expensive internationally savvy corporation lawyer too.

I dearly hope this is not a page hits kind of deal.

I don't think it'll bring a spike in page hits and I understand your points.

My issue is the same as the person that sent me the documents, Canon charging for repairs on a defective design. I am trying to get proof that is actually happening and going over our repairs at Lens Rentals Canada and asking others if they have any data on the matter.

I have no problem with silent recalls and just putting "optical adjustment" on the receipt and charging someone $50 to cover shipping and any other incidental costs and being done with it. However, to charge someone $450 to repair something you know is faulty by design just doesn't seem right to me.

You are right. I had a problem with the 24-70 of Tamron. It was a faulty design (wrong circuit board that caused a battery drain while the lens was mounted to the camera). Tamron charged 0 euro. It was fully covered by the warranty (incl. free shipping). That is what you should expect from a company in such a situation.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
If the image for this thread came from a document sourced from Canon, does Canon own the copyright to it and does this website have permission to reproduce it? I'm all for leaking information a la Snowden, but you need to be intelligent about how it is done. Another aspect of the Snowden issue is that all documents produced by the government are not covered by copyright as they're "owned" by the people - they're just subject to official secrets acts, etc - and can thus be reproduced freely without limit. That doesn't apply to documents produced and owned by corporations.

Sorry but that's a very poor legal argument and analogy.
Snowden docs were protected by defense statuses, something far more serious than copyright.
In most western country, the right to inform, even just for consumers rights, is superior to copyright.
Just to make a ludicrous point, if I patent murder, do I prevent you to blow the whistle as a witness? :D

Go on leaking as long as there is a point about it, you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Grumbaki said:
dilbert said:
If the image for this thread came from a document sourced from Canon, does Canon own the copyright to it and does this website have permission to reproduce it? I'm all for leaking information a la Snowden, but you need to be intelligent about how it is done. Another aspect of the Snowden issue is that all documents produced by the government are not covered by copyright as they're "owned" by the people - they're just subject to official secrets acts, etc - and can thus be reproduced freely without limit. That doesn't apply to documents produced and owned by corporations.

Sorry but that's a very poor legal argument and analogy.
Snowden docs were protected by defense statuses, something far more serious than copyright.
In most western country, the right to inform, even just for consumers rights, is superior to copyright.
Just to make a ludicrous point, if I patent murder, do I prevent you to blow the whistle as a witness? :D

Go on leaking as long as there is a point about it, you'll be fine.

The documents are stolen property, first, there would likely to be a cease and desist notice from Canon.

I don't see this as a big deal, its a design improvement, nothing is failing, but some people have very good hearing and can hear stuff that many can't.

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
R1-7D said:
Apple isn't perfect either, but in my experience they are still the best.

Yeah, don't we wish! Mind you, I almost exclusively use Apple computers and phones so I am not a PC fanboy, I've had far worse experience than you state.
Whenever I had an issue, and found out several users online complaining about it- I ask Apple and they said they have never heard of it. Of course, they will fix it (only because I have warranty coverage) but no public information is given out whatsoever.
Examples:
1. Volume button greyed out and becomes inoperable (required a logic board replacement).
2. Mouse cursor becomes stuck to Windows (required a system reset).
3. Early 2011 MBP GPU issues (required a logic board replacement).
Feel free to Google the above issues and you will find numerous posts, many on Apple's own user fora.

Just sayin, your Mac is a PC, so a PC fanboy would also count in mac users.

Upvote 0
traingineer said:
sagittariansrock said:
R1-7D said:

Yeah, don't we wish! Mind you, I almost exclusively use Apple computers and phones so I am not a PC fanboy, I've had far worse experience than you state.
Whenever I had an issue, and found out several users online complaining about it- I ask Apple and they said they have never heard of it. Of course, they will fix it (only because I have warranty coverage) but no public information is given out whatsoever.
Examples:
1. Volume button greyed out and becomes inoperable (required a logic board replacement).
Feel free to Google the above issues and you will find numerous posts, many on Apple's own user fora.

I think Apple started it when they started the "Mac vs PC" videos, LOL!

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
traingineer said:
sagittariansrock said:
R1-7D said:

Examples:

Or maybe because apple called their computers Macs. But that could also be a possibility.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sagittariansrock said:

2716553567_68e98d5bcd_o.jpg

Upvote 0
My spring was replaced in my 24-70 II long ago, under warranty. Got the lens back from a repair and when the focus ring was turned, it would make a "spring" noise... Like boiiiiing!

Sent it in and they spoke with the engineers in Japan as they had no idea... And they wanted to be sure before they tore the lens apart... A month later or so, they got the part from Japan, replaced it (still the "old" spring, according to the repair... but this was probably before the fix) and the lens is fine. Interesting to see what it was though now!

Upvote 0