Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Re: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 II L USM

LostArk said:
Bosman said:
I don't use F1.4 much it is amazing what F1.4 looks like for a wide lens like this. Was this a crop? It seems you would need to be 4ft away from her but the it is really tightly framed by her ball cap suggesting you were even closer. Looks like you have you done many portraits with the 24 from your postings. Nice work. You have a focus in concert photography?

I only crop vertically since I prefer 16:9 or even 2.39:1. In the above photo she was less than 2 feet away. This lens is pure magic for it's ability to grab a subjects surroundings and add context to portraits.

5D2, 1/200 f/2 ISO 3200

Untitled by Nοah Fence, on Flickr

In the above photo my subject was less than 3 feet away.

I find street portraits and concert photography the most fun, but I've been wanting to get into event, architecture and landscape. I've only been shooting "seriously" for about 8 months.
You know i was concerned at how close i have to get to my subject prior to owning this lens, that quickly became a non-issue but i am sure like when using my fisheye i often get strange responses to how close i get but i try to brief them on the lens and what it will do and how i will be getting really close so to not wig out and that often causes people to relax escpecially when i take a shot and show them how cool it looks.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Daniel Flather said:
Daniel Flather said:
72609370.jpg

I just had a 24*36 inch print of this image made. It looks amazing considering it's around f16 with a 10 stop filter.
Wow, what was your shutter speed like 1/60th? :D

Upvote 0

Bosman said:
Daniel Flather said:
Daniel Flather said:

I just had a 24*36 inch print of this image made. It looks amazing considering it's around f16 with a 10 stop filter.

No, it was about 30 seconds.

Upvote 0

Daniel Flather said:
Bosman said:
Daniel Flather said:
Daniel Flather said:

No, it was about 30 seconds.
I thought about that question later and realized i didn't think when i asked. Water that looks like would have to be a few seconds, I just forgot to go back and modify so i didn't look like a fool. lol

Upvote 0

My friend asked me for a few shots of her for her yoga website. We had very little space to work with in her Brooklyn apt- basically just moved a couch near the one window in the room. I never even considered using the 24mm for this shoot (see the 85mm f/1.2 lens thread for other shots), but I needed some full body poses too, so it saved the day!

Kat 05 by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Kat 06 by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Kat 07 by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Upvote 0

pdirestajr said:
My friend asked me for a few shots of her for her yoga website. We had very little space to work with in her Brooklyn apt- basically just moved a couch near the one window in the room. I never even considered using the 24mm for this shoot (see the 85mm f/1.2 lens thread for other shots), but I needed some full body poses too, so it saved the day!

Kat 05 by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Kat 06 by Philip DiResta, on Flickr

Kat 07 by Philip DiResta, on Flickr
It's probably one of the few wideangle lenses that work ok for portraits. Bosman has some good ones earlier in the thread and even I've tried some.

Upvote 0