Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Re: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 II L USM

Daniel Flather said:
My lens nails it all the time, even at this wide of lens, f1.4 can is thin. I never seem to shoot at infinity now that you ask. But I have mfa disabled on my 5D3 because I shoot wide open and close, so any error correction is lost do to subject or camera movement. I find the more I play with mfa the worse my keeper rate is —so disable.
because i am at home multi-tasking i can't get out for decent samples but just around the house the images are very 50mm goo looking which makes me very very happy! Shooting detail stuff is going to be impressive to say the least. My real test will be people. I tried micro on my 1dm3 and it didn't seem to help either so i may disable it too. My other lenses dont have any issues since they are F2.8 cept for the 50 1.2 which i will also not be using mfa upon your suggestion.
Thanks man!

Upvote 0

Kernuak said:
Because I use it mainly for landscapes, I manually focus at narrower apertures. One day I'll get to use it wide open, but there is always something else to shoot. So far I've only used it wide open or near wide open for the aurora.
From the results of testing this lens F5.6 is at it's peak, thats not to say its not good with smaller apertures but If i just want everything tack ill prob bump it to that. Else I plan to find my happy place with it. I was trying to decide if i should come up with a standard for all my faster than 2.8 lenses and considered just doing F2. I am not sure if that will matter or not since the properties of each of the fast primes is so ridiculous they can't be compared really. We are talking about shooting live subject with F2 Static objects i could see having more freedom. Well, those are some things i have been thinking about anyway...
I am noticing that this lens needs contrast things to focus on spot focus doesn't seem to work well if you still dont have the contrast. You can solve this problem however by getting closer it seems.

Upvote 0

These were the first shots I took with my 24. The camera is the original 5D. Seemed to focus just about perfectly, even on that ancient body. As you can see, I'm close to her. As you can also see, DOF is incredibly shallow.
http://galleries.stevemelvin.com/debbie_k/

On some of these, I added vignetting in post. The lens doesn't vignette that much.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

mini.jpg

Snapshot taken yesterday with the 5d3 and 24... Haven't really adjusted it yet, but it seems pretty okay.

Upvote 0

One other suggestion i think you should know. Yesterday I read that putting filters on the 24 screws up the focus, I confirm that to be true. I usually don't use filters on any lenses unless i need polarization.
No post processing just med fine jpegs too.
F1.4 on all images

This first shot had sun blaring into the camera yet the 24 kills it better than anything i have seen!
20120404-125D2811.jpg

20120404-125D2807.jpg

20120404-125D2800.jpg
20120404-125D2796.jpg

Upvote 0

Bosman said:
And the most photographed animal in the world! The Token Cat photo, never thought i'd post a cat photo but it's El TIgre and he is a cool cat! He stayed by us for prob 4 hrs strait out there.
125D3166040812.jpg

No, no, no, you're doing it wrong. Cat photos are taken with cell phones and are heavily back lit.

Upvote 0

Daniel Flather said:
Bosman said:
And the most photographed animal in the world! The Token Cat photo, never thought i'd post a cat photo but it's El TIgre and he is a cool cat! He stayed by us for prob 4 hrs strait out there.
125D3166040812.jpg

No, no, no, you're doing it wrong. Cat photos are taken with cell phones and are heavily back lit.
They're also meant to be blurry all over :p.

Upvote 0

Kernuak said:
Daniel Flather said:
Bosman said:
125D3166040812.jpg

They're also meant to be blurry all over :p.
Haha, he's giving me the paw too. He was really curious about the camera whenever i pointed it his direction. Shoulda taken it with my far superior iPhone optics.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0