Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM + 2x Extender (II or III)

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Funny, I never noticed this thread. Since maybe 60% of my shots are with 300 2.8 II X2 III I should have been posting. Here is one from last May with the 1D4 at Haida Gwaii. Af was not the greatest; if you lost it it was lost but I got a lot of flight shots by pre-focussing to the anticipated distance and then hitting the back button when the bird was under the red square(s). Usually center point with expansion. Can't wait to have this lens combo with the 1DX II!

Jack

Attachments

• Bald eagle 1D4 300X2_7531.JPG
    Bald eagle 1D4 300X2_7531.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 433
Upvote 0
I shoot wildlife with this combo quite a bit. This shot was taken just after sunrise, the light was nice but limited.

300 f/2.8L II IS with 2x III extender, 5DsR 1/1000 f/5.6 ISO3200
This shot is a little noisy, I normally try to keep my ISO at 1600 or lower with the 5DsR.

Attachments

• 2015_12_24_084553-0946.jpg
    2015_12_24_084553-0946.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 436
Upvote 0
It is clear that this lens and extender combination does work exceptionally well. I have on many occasions thought of trading in my 300mm lens and buy the mkii 600mm lens and whilst this lens is sharp I cannot justify the price. I have also tried both the Tamron and Sigma 600mm telephoto zoom lenses only to be disappointed by the sharpness beyond 400mm.
This is a grey headed kingfisher taken in Kenya, camera used was a 5dmkiii. Cropped image.

Attachments

• GHK1.jpg
    GHK1.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 423
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Kerry B said:
It is clear that this lens and extender combination does work exceptionally well. I have on many occasions thought of trading in my 300mm lens and buy the mkii 600mm lens and whilst this lens is sharp I cannot justify the price. I have also tried both the Tamron and Sigma 600mm telephoto zoom lenses only to be disappointed by the sharpness beyond 400mm.
This is a grey headed kingfisher taken in Kenya, camera used was a 5dmkiii. Cropped image.

Lovely image and very sharp. Is it a 100% crop or have you reduced it?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Kerry B said:

Great shot. Nicely done.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Kerry B said:
Thanks Alan, much appreciated this is a 50% crop. This bird did allow slow movement of our vehicle to make our approach. Wish all birds were the same. On another issue how do you find this combination with the 7d mmii?

My 300/2.8 II + 2xTC III was very sharp and contrasty with the 5DIII, but disappointing with the 7DII. It isn't so hot on the 5DS R either. I prefer to use it with the 1.4xTC III, when it is stunning, on the 5DS R. I have been very lucky in finding a Sigma 150-600mm C that is of very high quality and am tending to use that or the 100-400mm II currently. I am interested in what the 5D IV will do and may trade in the 7DII.

Upvote 0
Thanks Click.
Alan I thought I had read on a previous post that you were unhappy with the performance on the 7dmkii. I like you are awaiting the arrival of the new canon 5d mk1v. I am off the the Pantanal in August and am wondering about camera bodies. I only have the 5d mkiii at present and am looking at another camera body to take. Given that the 5d mk1v is not likely to be on sale until I return from Brazil I am left with the 7d or 5ds, dilemma.
Not sure about crop any longer as have been spoiled by full frame.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Kerry B said:
Thanks Click.
Alan I thought I had read on a previous post that you were unhappy with the performance on the 7dmkii. I like you are awaiting the arrival of the new canon 5d mk1v. I am off the the Pantanal in August and am wondering about camera bodies. I only have the 5d mkiii at present and am looking at another camera body to take. Given that the 5d mk1v is not likely to be on sale until I return from Brazil I am left with the 7d or 5ds, dilemma.
Not sure about crop any longer as have been spoiled by full frame.

The Pantanal is paradise - I would love to go again. The 5DS R is my choice over the 7DII. Noise levels seem better, I notice an improvement in sharpness, the AF is definitely better, and the wider field of view is a plus. The 7DII does have more fps if you need it and the file sizes are more manageable. If you can afford the 5DS, it is worth it.

Upvote 0