Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 Replacement Ready? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that the replacement for the 22 year old Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 is ready for production and could be announced any time within the next few months.</p>
<ul>
<li>Ring-type USM</li>
<li>DOF scale will remain</li>
<li>Closer minimum focusing distance than the current lens</li>
<li>No IS</li>
</ul>
<p>This is the first mention we’ve heard for this lens in a long time and it comes from an unknown origin, take it with the appropriate grain of salt.</p>

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the replacement for the 22 year old Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 is ready for production and could be announced any time within the next few months.
Yes! finally!

Ring-type USM => great
DOF scale will remain => great
Closer minimum focusing distance than the current lens => great
No IS => Okay! Can live with that if the aperture stays at 1.4 and is decent sharp wide open

This is the first mention we’ve heard for this lens in a long time and it comes from an unknown origin, take it with the appropriate grain of salt.
Quite salty. Let's hope for it to be true.

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
ajfotofilmagem said:
Does Canon intends to make a modest upgrade, as it did with nifty 50?
Who yearns Image Stabilizer, you can go to the Tamron 45mm VC.

I did not feel the 50 1.8 II to 50 1.8 STM was modest... I think that level of upgrade applied to the 50 1.4 would be acceptable...

re: the Tamron... the close focus was big seller for me on that lens, interested to see if Canon 1.4 matches it..

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
TeT said:
plam_1980 said:
No IS? ashanford will be devastated... and I will enjoy my Sigma Art

If the Canon 1.4 rivals/beats the Tamron 45 1.8, your sigma art will lose a little of its lustre

The Tamron has VC, so it will be debatable how the Canon beats it and at what price. Plus the sigma will not change its qualities, whatever images the Canon and Tamron produce, I just meant that I will no longer wait for a Canon 50/f nooneknowswhat IS (as ashanford named it), the Sigma will do just fine

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
plam_1980 said:
No IS? ashanford will be devastated... and I will enjoy my Sigma Art

CR1. I'm not losing any sleep over this.

That said: if there's no IS, then f/nooneknows IS USM would undoubtedly be 50mm f/1.4 USM II. No way they make a replacement that's slower without a major new feature.

Truth be told -- if I got everything I wanted except for US:

• Modern/fast/consistent/reliable USM
  • Internal focusing
  • Build quality of the 24/28/35 IS refreshes
  • Still a compact double gauss-like footprint
  • A proper hood/hood attachment

I'd still buy the lens on day one, sight unseen. I want a sharp, fast lens that isn't a pickle jar.

- A

Attachments

• 50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    50 Prime Rib 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,893
Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Pixel said:
How can they justify putting IS in the wide primes but not in a 50mm lens? This makes no sense.
No, it doesn't make sense -- I'm assuming (hoping) that this is the salty part of the rumor.

IS isn't just for low light. IS would make this a more versatile lens by offering hand-held control over motion blur. Combine motion blur with the small DOF of 1.4, and one could capture images with more creative "pop".

Upvote 0
FTb-n said:
Pixel said:
How can they justify putting IS in the wide primes but not in a 50mm lens? This makes no sense.
No, it doesn't make sense -- I'm assuming (hoping) that this is the salty part of the rumor.

IS isn't just for low light. IS would make this a more versatile lens by offering hand-held control over motion blur. Combine motion blur with the small DOF of 1.4, and one could capture images with more creative "pop".

at 1/50th of a second I get plenty of motion blur with my subjects thank you very much. ;D

Upvote 0