Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Hey guys I need help with this lens. No matter how much I afma I can not get this lens to be sharp on my 5d markii. It's really annoying when you have such an amazing lens and it won't focus accurately. Now I can't place all the blame on it because every lens on my camera is at about +14. So obviously my camera is off also. Can I send the 5d markii out to canon? Or it and lenses? I am worried I am just going to get it back and try are going to say they are all within our specifications.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Here's where NOT to use this lens.

This is the most hideous bokeh it's produced for me yet. The outlining almost looks like multiple exposures.

Avoid wide apertures with contrasty stuff in the transition zones, especially at or near min focus distance.
I've encountered plenty of other horrid bokeh scenarios with it too, usually at wider apertures it seems, but not at all focal lengths or distances.
Exhaustive testing won't be performed, just cursing when I see the results back on the computer.

Good thing this lens has plenty of redeeming qualities like incredible sharpness, speed and a great IS.

Here's a non-cropped shot from my 5D2

1/160s, f/4, 200mm, a few inches beyond min focus distance.

Attachments

• 1714.jpg
    1714.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 4,290
Upvote 0
Here are some pictures taken with my canon 70-200 II.

f/2.8, 1/800s, iso 320 + 5D2

marie-et-cedric-parc-tourcoing-bebe-grossesse003

Photographe de mariage dans le Nord et sur Lille
http://www.matt-photo.fr/

Upvote 0
Great photo, Harv. Just the right moment and framing. Your shot, however, also shows my only gripe with the lens: the bokeh of things just behind the focus plane. That and the weight are the only reasons I sometimes miss my 200mm f/2.8 L, which I sold when I seldom used it any more due to the versatility and stunning sharpness of the 70-200 II.

Upvote 0