• Thread starter Deleted member 393686
  • Start date

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Greetings,
The Meike has received a great deal of praise. In part due to its performance and price. Roughly 1/2 $$$ less than the Canon. It also comes with the clear drop in filter that Canon charges another $130 for. There are two things that people have pointed out about the Meike. One, its dial adjustable ND does not have clicks, so you don't actually know how many stops you are applying when you adjust its dial, and second, it has firmware update(s) available that comes without any instructions. To date I have not seen anything about how to apply them. Its not a .dmg or .exe. Meike makes a bunch of special effect drop in filters for it too. Canon has 3, Meike offers like 12. People that are using them for video claim the image clarity is excellent. Some say that Canon's ND can add a strong green tone or cast. The footage I've seen from the Meike looks great. I don't have one because I've mostly parted with my EF glass, but its certainly inexpensive enough to buy if you need ND for video.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The concept of drop in filters on EF glass is the primary reason for me adopting Mirrorless. I bought my first RF camera body three months ago, the new R8 and this will become my 2nd camera once I've sold my old 5Dmk3's and bought either a R6ii or a R5.
A drop in filter adapter make s a lot of sense on a R8 because the clear filter effectively protects the sensor from dust during lens changing. Unlike the R6ii or R5, the R8 doesn't have a shutter to protect the sensor and it's exposed when changing lenses.
20230624-875C8228.jpg

I chose Meike for my drop in filter becuase a) it was a lot cheaper than the Canon...which is frankly a rip off and b) the VND is actually superior to Canon's version. The Meike version comes with a clear filter, which is an expensive option on the Canon version. The Meike has less X shaped artifacts and doesn't have a weird green cast over 8 stops. All VND filters have a slight polarising effect, so careful use is required because you may find that on sunny days and at certain levels of VND, there is polarising going on. Not as much as a pure polariser, but it's there all the same.
These were taken with a ef16-35IIL and the VND:
20230624-IMG_2760.jpg
20230624-IMG_2806.jpg
20230624-IMG_2824.jpg
The reduction in ghosting / flaring with a rear mounted filter compared to quality front mounted filters is very tangible.

The Meike VND has a slight warm colour cast which is actually quite nice. My opinion with any "Neutral Density" is that if you can't have a truely neutral one...at least get one that has a colour cast that is pleasing and you can live with.
These were taken using a EF 135L and the VND used to create a slow enough shutter speed for some ICM:
20230709-IMG_0093.jpg
20230709-IMG_0109.jpg
20230709-IMG_0099.jpg

The Adapter is almost as good as the Canon version and I've read that the filters are interchangable...however, I've not tried this myself. The Meike doesn't ahve the weather sealing gasket around the mount that faces onto the camera. The Canon does, so be aware of that in your comparison.

Since then I've bought a few more filters and their filter cases (which are really nice) and next month I'll be adding their 3 and 6 stop ND filters. I have one box more than I need so I have somewhere to put my clear filter when juggling filters.
Their CPL is excellent and their 10 stop ND is simply the best I've ever used. It's even more neutral than the VND. I'll be ebaying my complete collection of 82mm and 77mm front mount heliopan filters soon. I just won't be needing them going forwards. In fact I'm so pleased with the ND1000, that I'll be ordering their 3 and 6 stop filters next month to complete my needs. These unfortunatly can't be ordered via Amazon, but can only be bought direct from Meike.

I've been using the 10 stop and polariser it with my TS-e 17L and it works great. It's awsome to have a handy, simple and effective filter solution for it. I can even use the ND's with my ef 8-15mm fisheye. Next month, I'll be buying the infamously huge ef 12-24mm L too and that will become my "other" wide lens to supplement my trusty ef 16-35IIL. I'm thinking of selling my TS-e 17L and using a laowa magic shift converter on my 11-24mm instead. That will give me 10mm of shift on an effective 15-35mm range. But that's a subject for a different thread.
20230712-IMG_0237.jpg

I hope this helps! For me, it's EF glass all the way!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Greetings,
The Meike has received a great deal of praise. In part due to its performance and price. Roughly 1/2 $$$ less than the Canon. It also comes with the clear drop in filter that Canon charges another $130 for. There are two things that people have pointed out about the Meike. One, its dial adjustable ND does not have clicks, so you don't actually know how many stops you are applying when you adjust its dial, and second, it has firmware update(s) available that comes without any instructions. To date I have not seen anything about how to apply them. Its not a .dmg or .exe. Meike makes a bunch of special effect drop in filters for it too. Canon has 3, Meike offers like 12. People that are using them for video claim the image clarity is excellent. Some say that Canon's ND can add a strong green tone or cast. The footage I've seen from the Meike looks great. I don't have one because I've mostly parted with my EF glass, but its certainly inexpensive enough to buy if you need ND for video.
I might never end up using the adapter but it is so cheap to buy bundled with the drop-in filters that I would buy anyway.
I do wish Canon would sell an adapter with either no filters or with only a blank.

Upvote 0
Here's an example using the meike CPL. In this case used with a EF 16-35IIL, a ef 8-15mm Fisheye L and the mighty ef 11-24mm L.
Curiously, the fisheye has a similar angle of view as the 11-24L (at 11mm) once it is de fished in Lightroom. However...the corners are way more mush than the 11-24L. But the fisheye can go a very lot wider.
20230721-IMG_0331.jpg
/\/\ ef 11-24mm @ 11mm f4

20230721-IMG_0332.jpg
/\/\ ef 11-24mm @ 15mm f4

20230721-IMG_0333.jpg
/\/\ ef 8-15mm fisheye at 8mm F4

20230721-IMG_0333-2.jpg
/\/\ ef 8-15mm fisheye at 8mm F4, de-fished in Photoshop.

20230721-IMG_0335.jpg
/\/\ ef 8-15mm at 11mm F4

20230721-IMG_0335-2.jpg
/\/\ ef 8-15mm at 11mm F4 De-fished in Lightroom...which is weird because it's a wider angle ofview to the defished 8mm shot! Something funky is occurring with the Lightroom Fish eye profiles.

20230721-IMG_0337.jpg
/\/\ ef 8-15mm at 14mm F4 defished. This angle of view is very similar to the ef 11-24mm @11mm.

20230721-IMG_0338.jpg/\/\ ef 8-15mm at 15mm F4 unforected. At 15mm, the fish eye sees a lot wider angle of view than the ef 11-24mm can at 11mm.

All of the above images use a 2 stop CPL, fully polarised and have exactly the same settings applied to each lens, because the filter is a drop in and there for static between lens changes.
The EF 11-24mm lens is a huge and heavy beast...but it is spookily sharp wide open. I have never seen an ultrawide this sharp before. It has dark corners / vignetting wide open at F4. I used to have the original Sigma 12-24mm EX DG lens (backj when it was launched) and it's nearly as wide as the 11-24mm. But this Canon variant is a lot sharper and the corners are usable wide open.
The wee little Canon ef 8-25mm fish eye is also an astonishing little lens. Ignoring the weight and size difference...optically it's a little sweet heart. Very sharp wide open and mind blogglingly wide. Yes it really can do a full 180' view. Defished, it's the widest one can get on the Canon mount. It is rediculously wide...however the corners are smearly and mushy. Looking over some older de fished photos, Adobe seemed to have tampered with tier current profile for the 8-15mm lens and it's a lot more smeary in the corners than it used to be in a previous LightRoom build.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0