Canon EOS 6D Mark II Dynamic Range Talk & Sample Images

Re: Canon EOS 6D Mark II Dynamic Range Talk & Sample Images

tron said:
Cory said:
I've officially declared all photos taken prior to 2015 completely and utterly obsolete.
And garbage! Don't forget garbage ;D ;D ;D

Don't forget to destroy the Canon gear, too! All most go in one clean purge. It would be ethically impure to sell it...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

chrysoberyl said:
tron said:
Cory said:
I've officially declared all photos taken prior to 2015 completely and utterly obsolete.
And garbage! Don't forget garbage ;D ;D ;D

Don't forget to destroy the Canon gear, too! All most go in one clean purge. It would be ethically impure to sell it...
In which case I respectfully accept to carry it personally to the waste bins, for recycling, etc ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Etienne said:
If you really want an articulating touchscreen with DPAF, save some money and get a T7i or SL2. Same IQ if IQ is defined solely as base ISO DR with no consideration of small DOF opportunity, high ISO performance and availability of high quality UWA lenses, but much cheaper.

There. Fixed that for you. :D

- A

Upvote 0

Orangutan said:
CanonGuy said:
You realize that you are comparing with a7rii which is 2 year old right? Why support a company who's still playing catch up game after 2 years?

I agree: Sony is still playing catch-up on build-quality, reliability, AF, ergonomics, support, resale value, lens selection, accessory selection, etc. Why would you support a company like that? :p ;)

What a funny post smh!

build-quality: you are kidding right? Have you actually used any of the other bodies? Lol
reliability: I always buy extended warranty on bodies so doesn't matter to me a lot.
AF: I used sigma art and Metabone adaptor. The accuracy and speed was enough for me
ergonomics: have you actually used a sony/nikon/fuji body? I have and they each has their own advintages.
support: ill have warranty and they'll fix it. It's simple and I don't need all bell and whistle about support.
resale value: one wedding shoot pays the price of a new full frame body for me. It's not even a factor to me or any other professional. Maybe to amateurs like you.
lens selection: Metabone adaptor / sigma art (I'm already replacing my canon glasses with sigma art)
accessory selection : like what? Strap or Pringle chips? Like what accessory canon exclusively has? Lmao

But thanks for your pointless post. It let me evaluate the whole scene more.

Upvote 0

Hflm

Gear: 5div, A7riii, A9 ...
Jan 10, 2017

CanonGuy said:
Hflm said:
CanonGuy said:
Very well done Canon. Very well done! It's amazing that you can't even match a feature that other cameras had 3/4 years ago. Very well done indeed.

Canon took 4 years to produce this?! Recycling af and dpaf systems from old bodies and call it a day? Simply wow! I skipped getting 5D4 as it's just a meh upgrade for me (I don't shoot video and don't care about the video hum dums on 5D4). Now seems like I'll have to skip 6D2 too! I'll probably hold onto my current 5d2 and 6d bodies one more year and slowly transition into something that has a great sensor.

I know fan boys will come here to roast me. To you guys, I have used 'other' cameras with sigma art/Metabone adapter. The af speed and accuracy was enough for me. Don't care about sppedlite options. So I don't think I'll miss out on anything after switch and gain something that canon deprived me of because of their stubbornness and incapable engineers.

I wonder when canon will stop using their pre historic sensors and adapt sensors from someone else that's leaps and bounds ahead! Or at least hire some capable engineers and make a sensor that's at least playing catch up game well! Such a disgrace.

With all pro bodies updates out (1dx2, 5d4 and 6d2) and next ones at least 3 years away, I think Canon took the laziness too far. Hopefully we'll (except blind fan boys) answer with our wallet. Good luck
The 6dii is indeed disappointing for me, too, so far. Regarding the 5div, which we use along Sony, that is a really great camera with a great sensor holding its own against the A9 or even A7rii (which is only marginally better in real life). So why not trying out the 5div?

You realize that you are comparing with a7rii which is 2 year old right? Why support a company who's still playing catch up game after 2 years?

As I mentioned, I don't shoot video and the incremental minute updates on 5d4 wasn't anything special to me. I would much rather support another company who's trying better with my wallet.
Of course, still probably the best sensor overall for FF cameras. The A9 fares worse than the A7rii and the 5div is clearly on par according to Bill Claffs data: http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20III,Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Sony%20ILCE-9(ES) , better at low ISOs and minimally worse at high ISOs (not relevant in real life in my opinion). I added the 5diii, too, so you will gain substantially if you upgrade.
You can choose ideal FF in Bill Claffs data, too, being only shot noise limited. Over the last couple of introductions (D810, A7x, D750, 5div, 1dxii, D5 etc.) there isn't a huge improvement with current technology anymore. Maybe Eric Fossums ideas lead to improved DR.
But looking at your answers, I get the impression that you are not interested in arguments anyway and have your mind set already.

Upvote 0

This is disappointing news.

If you've purchased the 6D a while ago, it seems to be an even better value now. IMO, I think Canon will need to ditch the 6D series after this one. There'll be too much overlap w/ the 5D series unless they can push their 5D even more.

Other than DPAF, objectively, what other unique features does Canon have for the future of their bodies?

I already purchased an M6 for the video and DPAF need and I also get the extra reach and other benefits. Yeah, it sucks to carry two bodies, but the M6 is small enough and is good for smaller events.

I'll save up for the 5DIV in the meantime.

Upvote 0

Hflm

Gear: 5div, A7riii, A9 ...
Jan 10, 2017

CanonGuy said:
Orangutan said:
CanonGuy said:

I agree: Sony is still playing catch-up on build-quality, reliability, AF, ergonomics, support, resale value, lens selection, accessory selection, etc. Why would you support a company like that? :p ;)

What a funny post smh!

build-quality: you are kidding right? Have you actually used any of the other bodies? Lol
reliability: I always buy extended warranty on bodies so doesn't matter to me a lot.
AF: I used sigma art and Metabone adaptor. The accuracy and speed was enough for me
ergonomics: have you actually used a sony/nikon/fuji body? I have and they each has their own advintages.
support: ill have warranty and they'll fix it. It's simple and I don't need all bell and whistle about support.
resale value: one wedding shoot pays the price of a new full frame body for me. It's not even a factor to me or any other professional. Maybe to amateurs like you.
lens selection: Metabone adaptor / sigma art (I'm already replacing my canon glasses with sigma art)
accessory selection : like what? Strap or Pringle chips? Like what accessory canon exclusively has? Lmao

But thanks for your pointless post. It let me evaluate the whole scene more.
I use Sony A7rii for weddings, too. For many situations too slow and laggy. With adapters we had bad experience. Sometimes they just stop working or certain functions are not available. Numerous threads are dealing with this. I would not dare to use them at weddings. Native glass is excellent, so no need for Sigmas.
It depends on the country of what to charge for a wedding. The best photographers in Germany charge around 4k Euros (usually a duo), average is 2k for 10h wedding. And that is before taxes, paying second shooter, insurance etc. Considering 5.3k for a Sony A9, your statement is arrogant and not true for all for sure. If money is no issue, I would go for native glass anyway.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer

In the metadata the images were taken on the 14th July still makes me wonder if it was a pre production unless it is stated it was a final production model.

I find it very hard to believe they could make a worse sensor when the 6Ds sensor wasn't the best when it was released. If they indeed have and these results are true then I have no words. Certainly an injustice to consumers.

I think its worth waiting for more reviews and the camera getting into more hands.

It has happened before the 5DSr was also slated because of pre production images that to this day have not been updated on the site and are constantly said to be poor results when most of the people that have used it know its an incredible camera.

Just wait it out.

Upvote 0

When you buy a camera, you buy a system. The DR (at base ISO) of Canon cameras are behind the competition (with the new cameras, except this, catching the competition), but when you put the all the stuff that are in a system together, all brands have their limitations. Today, you can't go wrong with the mayor brands (canon, nikon, sony, fuji, olympus, pentax, panasonic)

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016

SteveM said:
Getting a bit worried now. I hope the 7D mklll doesn't follow the same school of thought as Canon have here in going from the the 6D to the 6D mkll.

I don't think you need to worry about the 7D line. The 7D is at the top of the crop-sensor line, so purchasing it doesn't endanger sales of higher-end models. Plus, the 7D is a sports camera for which low-ISO DR is a secondary, at best, concern. Therefore, there is no reason for Canon to intentionally cripple the 7D's DR.

The 6D, by contrast, was eating into 5D sales. What Canon found was that there are a ton of photographers who care only about getting the best IQ available. If you don't do video or action photography, the new upgraded AF is irrelevant. But if you're getting the same or better IQ as the higher-end 5D, landscape, portrait, and many other photographers go with the compact cheaper camera.

I was in this latter group. I shoot mostly with Nikon bodies, but I still have a lot of Canon glass--including 5 L lenses--that I'm loathe to dump. The 6DMII would have been a perfect companion for my 24-70 L II lens--if its DR matched the 5DM IV's. Thus, this move was designed to slot people like me into the 5D. However, the difference between 6D IQ and what I'm use to on the Nikon side is just too great, and I'm not going to spend $3k+ for a 5D IV.

That leaves me with the decision of whether to finally unload my Canon glass--I already sold my 5DM III--hope that the Sony A7rIII or A9r works better with adapter than earlier Sony bodies, or hope that some fewer Canon body gives me what I need. The obvious answer is to dump my Canon gear, but Canon glass is so good!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

bereninga said:
If you've purchased the 6D a while ago, it seems to be an even better value now. IMO, I think Canon will need to ditch the 6D series after this one. There'll be too much overlap w/ the 5D series unless they can push their 5D even more.

So the 6D line is useless or does it overlap with the (far from useless) 5D line too much? Which is it? I'm legitimately confused with that comment.

bereninga said:
Other than DPAF, objectively, what other unique features does Canon have for the future of their bodies?

I believe it's called the EF mount, and the command of first-party AF routines that come with it.

Forgive the snark above, but as much as I am flummoxed that Canon didn't deliver the goods we all thought were coming, we have to presume that Canon has data that backs up that Base ISO DR is not on the top list of things that moves camera bodies in the market. A tilt-screen does. More MPs do. A better AF system does. Wireless communications do. 4K and dual-slots do as well, but apparently, the return on investment (or potential impact to the 5D4) had them it out here.

But Base ISO DR probably doesn't move nearly as many units as this forum believes. See below: plots like these are not new. Despite the gulf in Base ISO DR the 5D3 endured until the 5D4 was released, and it somehow sold brilliantly. ::)

I'm no apologist -- and I still don't get this decision -- but Canon has proven time and time again that they see the market better than we do.

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 8.30.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 8.30.53 AM.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

ahsanford said:
But Base ISO DR probably doesn't move nearly as many units as this forum believes. See below: plots like these are not new. Despite the gulf in Base ISO DR the 5D3 endured until the 5D4 was released, and it somehow sold brilliantly. ::)

I'm no apologist -- and I still don't get this decision -- but Canon has proven time and time again that they see the market better than we do.

+1

Competitors started surpassing Canon in low ISO DR way back in 2009. What's happened to Canon's market share since then? It's grown, to the point where now they have nearly 50% of the ILC market.

FWIW, I'm as surprised as you about the low ISO DR of the 6DII. But history shows the relevance (or rather, the lack thereof) of that particular metric to the broader ILC-buying public.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

neuroanatomist said:
FWIW, I'm as surprised as you about the low ISO DR of the 6DII. But history shows the relevance (or rather, the lack thereof) of that particular metric to the broader ILC-buying public.

And that above is coming from Canon's #1 apologist at CR -- oh, the scandal! ;)

Next thing you'll tell me Bryan Carnathan will use the phrase "Canon really blew it with this one" in one of his reviews.

- A

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

neuroanatomist said:
Competitors started surpassing Canon in low ISO DR way back in 2009. What's happened to Canon's market share since then? It's grown, to the point where now they have nearly 50% of the ILC market.
I don't doubt that you're right about that, but where do you get such data? I've tried to find some good sources on ILC maket shares for Canon, Sony and the like but failed.

Upvote 0

meho1a said:
Or maybe, canon is making some room for new FF camera between 6d and 5d. Maybe FF mirrorless with beter sensor than 6d mk2.
If not, i really dont understand this move considering the price/performance of competition. And the quality of crop cameras such 80d.

Same thoughts. I'm still thinking they will release something in between, maybe an A7S or video power house equivalent either dslr or mirrorless. While waiting for 5D4 price drop, I'm sticking around to watch. Still love my 5D2 and M6. :)

Upvote 0