Canon EOS 6D Mark II Speculation

Know-nothings, apologists, excuses and nonsense?

You speak of Canon's desire to up-sell as if it's a crime, when it's just good business sense.

*Dual card slots aren't free, they require extra hardware for the slot and the processor. Only the software is almost 'free' because it could be essentially ported from one of their other bodies. Amortised over the entire production run, the cost is probably in the order of a few dollars per body. Since you're talking about canon not charging you any more, you're essentially saying they should clear less profit, which is not what business is about.

*Dual card slots do take up extra space, unless your camera is a Tardis. It's unlikely but possible that there may be empty space inside the existing body design to accommodate an extra slot without moving anything, but if not, there is a design and engineering cost associated with configuring the camera to make that space. The cheapest way to include space for an extra slot is to make the camera bigger. Most 6D customers don't want 'bigger'.

*the redundancy offered by dual cards is great, but it can be a PITA to manage the workflow, and for the way I shoot, I would have to carry another $300 in SD cards. Considering that the rate of unrecoverable corruption is extremely low, I personally don't find it worthwhile. I have had 2 cards go bad in the last 10 years, both of them cheap CF cards, and in both cases it was evident in-camera when image review failed. The cards subsequently wouldn't mount on the computer, but using some recovery software I got back all except the last few shots. I have redundancy in my storage array as well as a regular backup cycle, but don't feel the need to backup individual SD cards.

*Saving images off-camera over wifi requires software development, which isn't free, neither is support to keep that software working as new platforms are released. What model of smartphone do you want your camera to save images to, running what flavour of iOS/Android? Firmware update every time there's an Android update, or each time Samsung release a flaming new model? And should they include capacity for SFTP, Samba etc (which would be much more useful to many than clogging up their smartphone with JPEGs)?

*Given the proportion of CR forum posters (including some pros) that couldn't be bothered with using dual cards even in cameras that already support it, what proportion of potential 6D customers do you think care either way? And for those who do care, yes, there is the up-sell potential. Canon's actuaries are calculating that they will make more in upsells to the 5D3/4 than they lose from potential 6D customer choosing Nikon over the dual card issue, and if you're still ranting on this forum those actuaries are obviously smarter than you.

* I completely agree that the in-camera interface for configuring wifi is atrocious, and the current iOS app is so flaky I never got it to work on 2/3 devices, so I still use the old "EOS Remote" app. Not to mention that video is disabled while wifi is on. Those issues need fixing IMO long before adding the ability to save everything straight to your smartphone. But guess what? Even if they don't fix the crummy wifi implementation with the 6DII, will it stop me from upgrading if it has more high-sensitivity cross-type PDAF points +/- DPAF, and a flippy screen, and the same or better IQ? Of course not, I care about the camera as a tool for making the images, and the facility of getting them off camera let alone onto social media ranks a distant, distant 2nd.

*I still remember heading off on a 3 month summer break with two Olympus OM 1 bodies and 16 rolls of KR64 and 8 rolls of FP4 in my backpack. Successfully wheedling with airport security in S America and India to let me walk the films around their ancient looking x-ray machines. Waiting weeks after my return to get the slides back from Kodak, and save up the money to process the B&W. No "waaah waah waaah, DADDY, I WANT REAL-TIME REPLICATION!!" back in those days.

K said:
I had a CF card go bad in my 5D3 (Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb), the SD card saved the day. Unfortunately, some short video clips taken were lost because those are saved to the CF card.

Anyhow, this is what I been preaching around here - but the know-nothings and/or apologists for Canon attack me as if I'm asking for too much for a 2nd slot.

I expect this feature in every Canon DSLR that retails for more than $999. Nikon does it, Canon can too.

Everything else is excuses and nonsense.

It doesn't add any cost (see Nikon D7200), so it can't be that. It's simply Canon attempting to deter any commercial use of DSLR's that they don't consider part of a pro-series. An attempt to push users up to more expensive models.

What they don't realize is, I and many, many users out there want data redundancy for personal and casual use too. I don't want my photos taken on an expensive once in a life time vacation lost because of some stupid SD card failure. I don't want to lose the precious moments of family lost because of an SD card failure.

I'm hoping their M5 has the same file transfer capability as the 5D4. It's SOFTWARE...they can easily offer it. Forget this Canon Connect nonsense where you have to browse photos and pick and transfer.

What would work better is being able to tell the camera to automatically transfer all JPG to smartphone. This would backup photos AND put them in the place the whole world wants it to be for easy sharing....Much like Eyefi but a native, more solid implementation of it.

These cameras have Wifi. It is a simple SOFTWARE inclusion. Failure to offer this is intentional crippling on Canon's part. Denying functionality to try and up sell.

The 6D2 should at least offer this capability if not a 2nd card slot. It doesn't take up any space, and doesn't cost anything. It's only a matter of Canon wanting to give it out. I'd prefer the 2nd slot since the 6D2 is more of an enthusiast camera than a travel camera...but speaking of those.....

This is why I won't buy these silly travel cameras even though I want one and could use one. I'd rather take decent cell phone pics that I know will be preserved and can easily share.

These companies need to wake up and fast, or they will be left in the dust. Travel compact cameras are already a dying breed. People have to suffer the inconvenience of even carrying a separate device (camera)....the manufacturers of such devices should offer up as much as possible to make up for that inconvenience. In other words, if I have to carry another device to get great IQ, I shouldn't have to suffer any other downsides.

Unfortunately, there are many other inconveniences and downsides. Such as annoying and inconvenient sharing capability as well as no data redundancy. This stuff is killing that whole market segment. Few people want to deal with that crap.

Canon Connect and Nikon SnapBridge are garbage in the sharing realm. Use an app to browse the card on the camera and then transfer? Total nonsense.

Nothing short of direct and automatic wireless transfer of JPG to smartphone will save that camera market segment. That way, the camera becomes an extension of their cell phone. A tool for feeding it. Almost the same way a medium format tethers to a serious workstation. A travel camera wireless tethers to a smartphone.

The Canon M5 should have it, all the Rebels and the 80D should have it.

Upvote 0