Canon EOS 6D Mark II Speculation

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
wsheldon said:
Alex_M said:
I thought, that Canon done pretty good job in differentiating 6D from Pro level bodies on many levels...

My personal gripe with this camera is 1/160 sec maximum flash sync speed .. yes, HSS, i know.. :) at the cost of 2.5 stop loss of power due to HSS... 6D is great if you have all the time in the world for taking that hero shot...

My bet is: maximum flash sync speed will remain at around 1/160 or thereabout.. :(

It's actually 1/180, not 1/160, but I agree it's a tad slow (check your settings to allow 1/3 stop shutter increments if you don't get that option). Should at least be 1/200 and preferably 1/250 like the xxD cameras. My other gripe is 1/4000 min shutter speed. Neither are huge deal breakers but they do affect me since I like fast glass. I'm actually close to picking up a gently used 5Dm3 for outdoor events and portraits now that they're getting well under $2k gently used. I really love the 6D, but it's minor limitations do get wearing.

Come on guys, the difference between 1/180 and 1/200th is just marketing. Not so 1/4000 to 1/8000th fastest speed as that is a full stop, but even then it's pretty niche - very fast lenses in bright light.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Sporgon said:
wsheldon said:
Alex_M said:
I thought, that Canon done pretty good job in differentiating 6D from Pro level bodies on many levels...

My personal gripe with this camera is 1/160 sec maximum flash sync speed .. yes, HSS, i know.. :) at the cost of 2.5 stop loss of power due to HSS... 6D is great if you have all the time in the world for taking that hero shot...

My bet is: maximum flash sync speed will remain at around 1/160 or thereabout.. :(

It's actually 1/180, not 1/160, but I agree it's a tad slow (check your settings to allow 1/3 stop shutter increments if you don't get that option). Should at least be 1/200 and preferably 1/250 like the xxD cameras. My other gripe is 1/4000 min shutter speed. Neither are huge deal breakers but they do affect me since I like fast glass. I'm actually close to picking up a gently used 5Dm3 for outdoor events and portraits now that they're getting well under $2k gently used. I really love the 6D, but it's minor limitations do get wearing.

Come on guys, the difference between 1/180 and 1/200th is just marketing. Not so 1/4000 to 1/8000th fastest speed as that is a full stop, but even then it's pretty niche - very fast lenses in bright light.

It does make a difference since you have to actually set the camera to half stops just to be able to achieve 1/180th and since most people use 1/3rd stops, 1/200th is actually usable.

Upvote 0
aa_angus said:
Why so much hate for single slot SD? I shoot professionally using 5DIII. I only ever use one card (SD), and I have never lost a single photo. Has anyone here actually ever lost a photo? In a situation where having another card slot would have helped? Let's face it, it's barely an important feature.

I've lost a whole 32gb card full of photos. I managed to get much of it recovered, but many of the photos were corrupted. Brand new high end brand card. It was the still new and crashy Lightroom 6 that managed (somehow) to delete the card in the middle of importing. So not technically the card's fault, but given the non-redundancy of my setup, it didn't matter whose fault it was once they were gone, they were gone. Otherwise I've never seen a card corrupt by itself.

Upvote 0
wsheldon said:
Alex_M said:

Should at least be 1/200 and preferably 1/250 like the xxD cameras. My other gripe is 1/4000 min shutter speed.

No. Should be 1/500 like the original 1D. XD

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
aa_angus said:
Why so much hate for single slot SD? I shoot professionally using 5DIII. I only ever use one card (SD), and I have never lost a single photo. Has anyone here actually ever lost a photo? In a situation where having another card slot would have helped? Let's face it, it's barely an important feature.

I've lost a whole 32gb card full of photos. I managed to get much of it recovered, but many of the photos were corrupted. Brand new high end brand card. It was the still new and crashy Lightroom 6 that managed (somehow) to delete the card in the middle of importing. So not technically the card's fault, but given the non-redundancy of my setup, it didn't matter whose fault it was once they were gone, they were gone. Otherwise I've never seen a card corrupt by itself.
I always transfer image files to the hard disk first and then import into Lightroom. Never any transfer problems doing it this way. Just copy them into the destination folder, then import in place.

Upvote 0
BeenThere said:
IglooEater said:
aa_angus said:

I always transfer image files to the hard disk first and then import into Lightroom. Never any transfer problems doing it this way. Just copy them into the destination folder, then import in place.

That would probably be a more crash-proof solution. I'd do that if I were shooting professionally and my images were of value.

Upvote 0
eosuser1234 said:
Just get pocket wizards and shoot flashes at full power, to adjust the power move the flash further from the subject. You can sync with Canon DSLR very fast 1/8000 on 7d2 and 1/4000 on 6D.
Umm.. Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. That wouldn't be a true sync it would be a hypersync or a high-speed sync, depending on the situation.
Care to elaborate?

Upvote 0
I also use mine for wilderness hiking in some pretty harsh conditions, and think it's fine how it is. Haven't broken one yet, and I need a lighter more compact camera more than I need peace of mind about ruggedness. Make mine a FF 80D please Canon.

mnclayshooter said:
I personally wouldn't complain at all if it were made a bit more rugged - I don't think that's where the cost increases lie though. I take mine hiking/biking etc. They get a fair bit of jostling and are exposed to dust/humidity/fog/rain occasionally. For the cost of some silicone rubber seals and maybe some reinforcing of the overall shell and tripod socket area, I think it'd be worth it. To be clear, I don't think I've heard of anyone breaking the base on a 6D, but I carry mine hanging from that socket most of the time either on a capture clip or on the BR Strap - sometimes with a fairly heavy bit of glass and a monopod on there too. A little more peace of mind on the structural integrity would be nice.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
I stand corrected. it is 1/180 sec indeed. and to get the camera shutter speed to 1/180 sec, camera's exposure increments have to be set in 1/2 of a stop. which is way to much for my liking..My camera is set to 1/3 of a stop exposure increments.
worst even, I cannot set my Sekonic 478D light meter to T=1/180 and aperture in 1/3 of a stop increments at the same time.
Typically, when using flash, I use my camera in Manual or Tv mode with T=1/160 sec and aperture and ISO set according to light meter recommended settings.

wsheldon said:
Alex_M said:

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
wsheldon said:
Alex_M said:

In focal plane shutter systems (e.g. dSLRs), Xsync is limited by the length of time it takes for the shutter curtains to cross the sensor. For a FF camera, that distance is greater than for an APS-C sensor, so for a FF camera to achieve Xsync speeds of an APS-C camera means the shutter curtains must move faster, and thus be driven by more powerful motors and have the commensurate durability and vibration damping. Currently the only Canon FF cameras with a 1/250 s Xsync are the 1-series (and in fact, the APS-H sensor in the older 1D models allowed a 1/300 s Xsync).

Nikon D810 does 1/250

Not only that, but that camera's shutter is capable of quiet mode that no other DSLR comes close to.

I have a hard time believing Nikon engineers faster/stronger shutters than Canon, can keep them really quiet, and puts it into a $2,800 body and Canon cannot.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
K said:
neuroanatomist said:
wsheldon said:
Alex_M said:

In focal plane shutter systems (e.g. dSLRs), Xsync is limited by the length of time it takes for the shutter curtains to cross the sensor. For a FF camera, that distance is greater than for an APS-C sensor, so for a FF camera to achieve Xsync speeds of an APS-C camera means the shutter curtains must move faster, and thus be driven by more powerful motors and have the commensurate durability and vibration damping. Currently the only Canon FF cameras with a 1/250 s Xsync are the 1-series (and in fact, the APS-H sensor in the older 1D models allowed a 1/300 s Xsync).

Nikon D810 does 1/250

Not only that, but that camera's shutter is capable of quiet mode that no other DSLR comes close to.

I have a hard time believing Nikon engineers faster/stronger shutters than Canon, can keep them really quiet, and puts it into a $2,800 body and Canon cannot.

The 1D, the first one, had a 1/500 sync speed. I miss that sometimes.

But there is a lot of misunderstanding about sync speeds, flash duration, types of shutter and their travel characteristics, hyper sync, high speed sync, and any number of other proprietary flash duration technologies. Short version is this, flash durations and sync speeds have been linked for the longest time so getting anything more than modest amounts of flash lillumination onto the subject faster than 1/1000 is very expensive.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
j-nord said:
aa_angus said:
I had a single random corrupted image a few months ago. Ive put almost 50k photos through the card, reformat after every image dump. Seems unlikely but definitely a feature I would use if I were a working pro or was doing heavy traveling.

Don't fool yourself. All it took was one incident with a corrupted premium level Lexar CF card for me to vow to never write to just one card ever again. I lost a client over that. You'll never predict when your number will come up, but writing to two cards simultaneously is comfortably high level insurance, simple and inexpensive. Once you're in the swing of it, it's a simple matter.

There's a direct translation from the Golden Rule of backup with computers, "it's not a matter of if you have an HDD failure, but when..."

-pw

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
pwp said:
j-nord said:
aa_angus said:
I had a single random corrupted image a few months ago. Ive put almost 50k photos through the card, reformat after every image dump. Seems unlikely but definitely a feature I would use if I were a working pro or was doing heavy traveling.

Don't fool yourself. All it took was one incident with a corrupted premium level Lexar CF card for me to vow to never write to just one card ever again. I lost a client over that. You'll never predict when your number will come up, but writing to two cards simultaneously is comfortably high level insurance, simple and inexpensive. Once you're in the swing of it, it's a simple matter.

There's a direct translation from the Golden Rule of backup with computers, "it's not a matter of if you have an HDD failure, but when..."

-pw
Having been saved by dual cards about a month ago (SD card failed and last all but a dozen images but the CF held up and kept the days shots), I am in complete agreement. There are things where you can not ask the client to go back and re-shoot the job...... Things that quickly become a lost client or a lawsuit......

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
Don Haines said:
pwp said:
j-nord said:
aa_angus said:

-pw
Having been saved by dual cards about a month ago (SD card failed and last all but a dozen images but the CF held up and kept the days shots), I am in complete agreement. There are things where you can not ask the client to go back and re-shoot the job...... Things that quickly become a lost client or a lawsuit......

I had a CF card go bad in my 5D3 (Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb), the SD card saved the day. Unfortunately, some short video clips taken were lost because those are saved to the CF card.

Anyhow, this is what I been preaching around here - but the know-nothings and/or apologists for Canon attack me as if I'm asking for too much for a 2nd slot.

I expect this feature in every Canon DSLR that retails for more than $999. Nikon does it, Canon can too.

Everything else is excuses and nonsense.

It doesn't add any cost (see Nikon D7200), so it can't be that. It's simply Canon attempting to deter any commercial use of DSLR's that they don't consider part of a pro-series. An attempt to push users up to more expensive models.

What they don't realize is, I and many, many users out there want data redundancy for personal and casual use too. I don't want my photos taken on an expensive once in a life time vacation lost because of some stupid SD card failure. I don't want to lose the precious moments of family lost because of an SD card failure.

I'm hoping their M5 has the same file transfer capability as the 5D4. It's SOFTWARE...they can easily offer it. Forget this Canon Connect nonsense where you have to browse photos and pick and transfer.

What would work better is being able to tell the camera to automatically transfer all JPG to smartphone. This would backup photos AND put them in the place the whole world wants it to be for easy sharing....Much like Eyefi but a native, more solid implementation of it.

These cameras have Wifi. It is a simple SOFTWARE inclusion. Failure to offer this is intentional crippling on Canon's part. Denying functionality to try and up sell.

The 6D2 should at least offer this capability if not a 2nd card slot. It doesn't take up any space, and doesn't cost anything. It's only a matter of Canon wanting to give it out. I'd prefer the 2nd slot since the 6D2 is more of an enthusiast camera than a travel camera...but speaking of those.....

This is why I won't buy these silly travel cameras even though I want one and could use one. I'd rather take decent cell phone pics that I know will be preserved and can easily share.

These companies need to wake up and fast, or they will be left in the dust. Travel compact cameras are already a dying breed. People have to suffer the inconvenience of even carrying a separate device (camera)....the manufacturers of such devices should offer up as much as possible to make up for that inconvenience. In other words, if I have to carry another device to get great IQ, I shouldn't have to suffer any other downsides.

Unfortunately, there are many other inconveniences and downsides. Such as annoying and inconvenient sharing capability as well as no data redundancy. This stuff is killing that whole market segment. Few people want to deal with that crap.

Canon Connect and Nikon SnapBridge are garbage in the sharing realm. Use an app to browse the card on the camera and then transfer? Total nonsense.

Nothing short of direct and automatic wireless transfer of JPG to smartphone will save that camera market segment. That way, the camera becomes an extension of their cell phone. A tool for feeding it. Almost the same way a medium format tethers to a serious workstation. A travel camera wireless tethers to a smartphone.

The Canon M5 should have it, all the Rebels and the 80D should have it.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
K said:
Nothing short of direct and automatic wireless transfer of JPG to smartphone will save that camera market segment. That way, the camera becomes an extension of their cell phone. A tool for feeding it. Almost the same way a medium format tethers to a serious workstation. A travel camera wireless tethers to a smartphone.

The 80D and the Rebels already have direct transfer to phone. Not automatic though (but IIRC you can "select all" for transfer). You can browse via the Connect app as well but primarily it's for remote control. What's more, the cameras have direct transfer to various social media platforms - why share via a phone when you can share straight from the camera?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Sharlin said:
K said:

The 80D and the Rebels already have direct transfer to phone. Not automatic though (but IIRC you can "select all" for transfer). You can browse via the Connect app as well but primarily it's for remote control. What's more, the cameras have direct transfer to various social media platforms - why share via a phone when you can share straight from the camera?

supposedly the M5 is getting it - with Dynamic NFC and Bluetooth and the rumor states automatic image backup.

Upvote 0