Canon EOS 6D Mark II Speculation

K

Jan 29, 2015
Well, with the 5D Mark IV out of the way - the next camera that seems logical for Canon to update or release is the 6D2 sometime in 2017.

There's already been threads about it, but now that the 1DX2 and 5D4 specs are known, we can speculate differently about the 6D2.

24 or 28 MP
ISO 32000
45pt AF system, possibly 19pt system if Canon goes low.
Touchscreen at minimum.
Possibly flip or articulating
GPS / WIFI / NFC with certainty.
5 FPS - I think this is a given.
-3EV AF
Single SD Slot :mad:
DPAF? That's a tough one....if it has an articulating screen, I say yes. If not, then no.
If it has DPAF, they will have to cripple or nerf the video quality and features. No way the 6D2 can be a better video making machine than 5D4 or 1DX2. It will end up being a FF 80D basically.

Low end would be 24MP, 19pt AF, touchscreen only, single SD.
High end would be 28MP, 45pt AF, touch/flip/articulate, dual SD.

Reality could be somewhere in the middle. High end in my view would challenge the 5D4 way too much. Even if the 45pt system is not "intelligent" or fast, the spread will be too useful to many photographers. After all, no one is buying this to be a sports or action camera. So the spread is what counts, not the AF tracking speed. However, the higher end speculated specs would make this camera competitive with Nikon's offerings. The low end specs would not make it competitive at all. Although, Canon didn't seem to mind having an under-spec camera in the 6D. I have a 6D, and while the IQ is fantastic, it is under gunned compared to the competition. It still sold well, because of people being in the Canon system (owning the glass). Canon likely to follow same model. It works, so why would they change? A lower line almost never bests the higher line camera in anything. Very rare.

The 6D was better in low light AF at -3EV over the 5D3, and had slightly cleaner images at high ISO when pixel peeping, less banding. That's it. Nothing else was better. The 5D4 beats the 1DX2 in nothing except for resolution. The same as was in the past.

I don't expect any changes to this trajectory from Canon. Canon competes with itself.

The higher end speculation, would in my opinion take sales away from the 5D4. I would buy a 6D2 over a 5D4 with those specs any day. Thus, is stands to reason that these features won't happen.

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
aa_angus said:
Why so much hate for single slot SD? I shoot professionally using 5DIII. I only ever use one card (SD), and I have never lost a single photo. Has anyone here actually ever lost a photo? In a situation where having another card slot would have helped? Let's face it, it's barely an important feature.
I had a single random corrupted image a few months ago. Ive put almost 50k photos through the card, reformat after every image dump. Seems unlikely but definitely a feature I would use if I were a working pro or was doing heavy traveling.

Upvote 0

LoneRider

Profession Geek.
Oct 4, 2011
Great state of Texas
So, I've only used CF cards in my EOS cameras. Looking at the specs there is no real advantage to SD or CF.

From those who have used both, if I am going to buy another card, which I will have to, SD of CF?

Is cost and brand (trust) the only 2 factors for SD and CF?

Reliability is what I am looking for!

thanks,
tom

Upvote 0
I was looking at the 5DIV and frankly thinking.. that's not a 5DIV, that's a 5DIII.5

IMHO it's a farily low upgrade. Sure several bits are getting better but if I were a 5DIII owner I'd find it hard to justify an upgrade.

Soooooooooooo where does that leave the 6DII?

I can't see more than maybe 19 point AF. maybe limited to f5.6, one f8 in the middle if you're really lucky. Spread will be the key question, and I'm afraid spread will be low.

flappy screen?.. maybe.

Touchscreen, well yes and some will like it, but I don't really care... I would argue that touchscreen isn't a killer reason to upgrade, but it might swing a new user in the camera shop.

better weather proofing?.. I'd love it but can't see it.

They could always completely screw the camera and put a 750D look a like sensor in it that's has awful low light sensor with PDAF banding.

2 SD cards.. yes I'd love to see that. I wonder how many sales Canon have lost to the D610 over this.

The bad news from all of this for us 6D owners: I can't see 5DIII owners flooding the second hand market, there'll be some but not enough to cause a serious dent in prices.

The good news is that I think I made the right decision buying my 6D earlier this year.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
I agree with the 6DII estimated specs. Probably one f8 point in the center and at least a couple cross type. This alone would be a pretty big improvement over the 6D.

I really hope they do go for a flippy touch screen I think it would be an incredible disappointment if they didn't. The only way no flippy screen would be forgivable is if they manage to make the 6D noticeably smaller and lighter.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Out of all potential 6D2 features I'd say a flippy screen is one of the most probable. The 6D already has the same button layout as the x0Ds that's literally made for having a tiltyflippy (no buttons to the left of the screen where the hinge goes) but for whatever reason Canon ended up doing nothing with the empty space...

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
K said:
Well, with the 5D Mark IV out of the way - the next camera that seems logical for Canon to update or release is the 6D2 sometime in 2017.

There's already been threads about it, but now that the 1DX2 and 5D4 specs are known, we can speculate differently about the 6D2.

24 or 28 MP
ISO 32000
45pt AF system, possibly 19pt system if Canon goes low.
Touchscreen at minimum.
Possibly flip or articulating
GPS / WIFI / NFC with certainty.
5 FPS - I think this is a given.
-3EV AF
Single SD Slot :mad:
DPAF? That's a tough one....if it has an articulating screen, I say yes. If not, then no.
If it has DPAF, they will have to cripple or nerf the video quality and features. No way the 6D2 can be a better video making machine than 5D4 or 1DX2. It will end up being a FF 80D basically.

Low end would be 24MP, 19pt AF, touchscreen only, single SD.
High end would be 28MP, 45pt AF, touch/flip/articulate, dual SD.

Reality could be somewhere in the middle. High end in my view would challenge the 5D4 way too much. Even if the 45pt system is not "intelligent" or fast, the spread will be too useful to many photographers. After all, no one is buying this to be a sports or action camera. So the spread is what counts, not the AF tracking speed. However, the higher end speculated specs would make this camera competitive with Nikon's offerings. The low end specs would not make it competitive at all. Although, Canon didn't seem to mind having an under-spec camera in the 6D. I have a 6D, and while the IQ is fantastic, it is under gunned compared to the competition. It still sold well, because of people being in the Canon system (owning the glass). Canon likely to follow same model. It works, so why would they change? A lower line almost never bests the higher line camera in anything. Very rare.

The 6D was better in low light AF at -3EV over the 5D3, and had slightly cleaner images at high ISO when pixel peeping, less banding. That's it. Nothing else was better. The 5D4 beats the 1DX2 in nothing except for resolution. The same as was in the past.

I don't expect any changes to this trajectory from Canon. Canon competes with itself.

The higher end speculation, would in my opinion take sales away from the 5D4. I would buy a 6D2 over a 5D4 with those specs any day. Thus, is stands to reason that these features won't happen.
I think you're spot on with the specs, I would go on the low side(24mp, 5fps, 45 point AF, HD video), but I'm gonna add "wireless charging", mainly because of the prototype connect station seen at Expo 2015.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Sharlin said:
Out of all potential 6D2 features I'd say a flippy screen is one of the most probable. The 6D already has the same button layout as the x0Ds that's literally made for having a tiltyflippy (no buttons left to the screen where the hinge goes) but for whatever reason Canon ended up doing nothing with the empty space...
Tangent:
While there are no buttons on the left there actually are differences in button layout on the 6D, which I much prefer over the 60/70/80D bodies. (I hate the magnify/unmagnify buttons mapped to AF point selection and Exposure Lock on the 60/70/80D bodies)

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
The 6D2 is an opportunity for Canon to experiment or offer something new...

Whether that is UHS-II slot, or flippy screen or both - who knows.

To get a 45pt system is doable, so long as it isn't perceived that it is equal or close to the 5D4. It will obviously lack the processing power for AF speed and accuracy. But that's ok. However, as I've said, most won't care - it's about placement and spread.

I don't think Canon lost out much to the D610 as that line was plagued by issues and has a bad reputation. For it's feature set, it doesn't live up to the performance on AF, sensor etc. It's big on paper, weak in reality. Now...the D750... Aside from the recall, that does perform up to its claims. 51pt system on that thing is excellent. Sensor is excellent. Really solid camera. And it is priced very competitively.

Canon glass really holds up the bodies bigtime. They know it. We know it. 6D would have been a flop if it wasn't for the superb L glass lineup.

Nikon is missing out on a lot of sales and market share because they won't update some key glass or at least drop the price to be more in line with their quality. Nikon glass is not cheap, yet underperforms Canon on most lenses. Practically speaking, their pro glass gets the job done. It is very good. But from a value standpoint, Canon glass is better. For a first time buyer into FF system, this is a consideration.

Upvote 0
K, very thought out speculation. I agree. I think the specs is somewhere in the middle.

I was waiting for more 6D II leak specs and decide between 5D IV or 6DII. How long after 5D IV release do you think 6D II will be announce?

Single slot card. Is that make/break feature for wedding photographer? I used 6D for all my weddings works/engagement/etc and never had a problem. There are alot of people prior to 5D III that use single slot SD card for wedding, but I keep hearing people say we should use two card slot.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2016
Wideopen said:
K, very thought out speculation.

And speculation it is, that's all. Until we get leaks from credible sources, all we can do is speculate and talk about all the features from other cameras that we like, which may have nothing to do with the camera we will see. I don't see any point voicing opinions on groundless speculation.

Canon's vision for the next 6D... well, we'll find out what they're up to soon enough.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
aa_angus said:
Why so much hate for single slot SD? I shoot professionally using 5DIII. I only ever use one card (SD), and I have never lost a single photo. Has anyone here actually ever lost a photo? In a situation where having another card slot would have helped? Let's face it, it's barely an important feature.

+1 I can't imaging it's all that frequent or we'd be hearing people screaming bloody murder when they have to pay the prices for the best/fastest/biggest cards - we'd also see forums full of people lamenting/blaming/complaining/grousing/kibitzing about this or that brand and how many times they've lost a "critical" once in a career shot. ESPECIALLY since SD cards are not limited to only DSLR's for usage. They're everywhere - phones (microSD), cameras, digital photo frames, car GPS headunits etc...

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
aa_angus said:
Only by using subpar cards(I'm talking to you eye fi), but one slot will be fine for must of us

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2016
Meatcurry said:
aa_angus said:
Only by using subpar cards(I'm talking to you eye fi), but one slot will be fine for must of us

+1

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
LoneRider said:
From those who have used both, if I am going to buy another card, which I will have to, SD of CF?
Is cost and brand (trust) the only 2 factors for SD and CF?

Are you buying for the 5DIV, 6D (or some other specific camera) or just in general? Trying to anticipate what the 6DII will have is not advisable... if the 5DIV - I'd recommend waiting a short while until we get real-world testing on the read-write speeds actually produced by the hardware - that will guide what level of card you need.

Brand is only a relative indicator of quality - some people are fiercely brand loyal. From my experience, bigger brands will probably hold up on warranty better, but not always. Sandisk, Lexar etc are good brands. Store brands or other re-branded ones like "Duracell SD cards" or "Bob's hardware store SD Card" are not worth buying, in my honest opinion. It might be great, or it is more likely to be hardware that failed a specific bench test during manufacturing and couldn't be labeled as a higher-end card.

Cost - that's relative as well. I've gotten exceptionally good prices right around black friday or Christmas sales on SD cards... periodically B&H/Adorama/Amazon run them on sale too - often in the range of $0.30-0.38/GB of storage on the top of the line or near-top-of the line cards. (I got a couple of 80MB/s SanDisk 64MB SD's last year for $19.99 on doorbuster sale).

What it really boils down to are two things:

1) how much storage do you need/are you comfortable with potentially losing in one fell swoop (either on a corrupt card - rare - see my prior response on this thread), or physical damage/loss of the card - they're small and fall out of pockets etc easily.

2) What is the read-write capability of your camera body and how much future proofing do you want to have? Right now, there are many cards out there far from the top of the line specs on speed that will work JUST fine in a 6D. The 6D has a pretty slow (comparatively) write speed at roughly 40MB/s on the very best test runs - usually averaging much lower at roughly 30-35MB/s. Up until UHS-II - the highest end cards were in the 100MB/s territory - but came at 3x the cost. Technically speaking these cards test the best in the 6D, but only marginally better (possibly 1MB/s faster than much less costly competitors)... Will a 95MB/s or 115MB/s or the insanely fast UHS-II 280MB/s card keep your cards useful longer into the future? probably - but only if you're planning to upgrade bodies in the near future and that future camera has write speeds worthy of the card's specs.

Cards are relatively cheap investments and can be purchased on sale at the time, or close to the time of a camera upgrade, particularly with SD cards.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
I haven't had card failure. I have cheapos and name brand cards, they all work fine.
2 card slots are important for professional wedding photographers (can't afford to fail) and for sports journalists (at least in old days, before routine real-time wifi transmission of images to editor, you'd have to take a card out and give it to a runner).

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
I've had 2 card failures. One complete failure, and one where there was a few corrupted images. The time I had corrupted images was on a 5D3 (with a Sandisk), and fortunately, the SD card backups were perfect. This is why I won't take my 6D for any paid work. But it also annoys me that I can't trust it on vacation either. I'm not going to spend $10,000 on a trip, and gamble that on the quality of some $50 SD card. I buy the best, Sandisk and Lexar. Only the high end versions. They've been excellent, but nothing is perfect. The alternative is to swap cards during a shoot. Not practical for paid work, and not fun or practical while shooting locations on vacation. Another alternative is to just carry the larger and heavier 5D series or just don't buy a Canon entirely.

Anyway,

I know others who had card failures too. It's not a matter of if, but of when.

Everyone I know that is serious feels the same way and demands dual card slots. A lot of them choose Nikon for this reason.

The only place I've experienced opposition or down playing of dual card slots if canonrumors.com forum, usually by Canon apologists or people sensitive about the camera they bought and trying to defend it from criticism.

Yes, there was life before dual slots. But if remember correctly, it was a life of pros quickly offloading photos on site and using portable back up solutions and dealing with that expense, time and hassle. Or, just praying their card doesn't take a dump.

For a platform as large as the full frame 6D DSLR, with intro price of over $2,000, in the 2nd decade of the 21st century, it isn't unreasonable to expect a 2nd SD slot. Nikon puts that in their D610 and D750 full frames. As well as their D7200 crop.

I don't care how shrill or fanatical the apologists cry - there's no logical reason behind this other than Canon trying to push users up to the 5D. It is unfortunate. It's not space savings. It's not to save the consumer any money. There's no logistical problems. It's to up sell. That's their right. But it is also consumer's right to buy alternatives.

Upvote 0