Canon EOS 6D Mark II Speculation

Oct 26, 2013
K said:
Canon glass really holds up the bodies bigtime. They know it. We know it. 6D would have been a flop if it wasn't for the superb L glass lineup.

I use my 6D with an old 28-105 non-L lens, so I beg to differ. The 6D has been an enormously popular camera because it is the least expensive way to get into FF for Canon shooters. Why Canon rather than Nikon? Reliability (Had 3 Canon cameras, never a repair needed). As a Canon shooter, focus and zoom rotate in the opposite direction than Nikon, so very hard to adjust to that change (Yes, I've tried). Great picture quality. (Obviously a matter of personal preference, but the color and tonal curves of the Canons has always been superior to my eye.) That's why the 6D was no flop and the 6D II won't be either - as long as they make it the affordable entry into FF. That's what it is. I understand that many want more and more features, but if it raises the price, it defeats the purpose of the cameras. It is the entry level FF camera for Canon.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
K said:
...I know others who had card failures too. It's not a matter of if, but of when.

That's a nice saying, but I'm not sure it matches the reality. Yeah, sure, scientists tell us that it's not a matter of "if" there will be a major earthquake along the New Madrid fault line, but "when" it will occur. Yet, most Midwesterners aren't spending thousands earthquake-proofing their homes. The risk/return ratio isn't worth it.

SD card failures are few and far between. I suspect that most people with dual-card slots never bother writing to both.

It's not a matter of "Canon apologists or people sensitive about the camera they bought and trying to defend it from criticism" it's more a case of most people don't care. You may disagree, but if it were important to most people, the 6D wouldn't have been the massive seller it has been.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
K said:
24 or 28 MP
ISO 32000
45pt AF system, possibly 19pt system if Canon goes low.
Touchscreen at minimum.
Possibly flip or articulating
GPS / WIFI / NFC with certainty.
5 FPS - I think this is a given.
-3EV AF
Single SD Slot :mad:
DPAF? That's a tough one....if it has an articulating screen, I say yes. If not, then no.
If it has DPAF, they will have to cripple or nerf the video quality and features. No way the 6D2 can be a better video making machine than 5D4 or 1DX2. It will end up being a FF 80D basically.

Low end would be 24MP, 19pt AF, touchscreen only, single SD.
High end would be 28MP, 45pt AF, touch/flip/articulate, dual SD.

Not an unreasonable list. But, DPAF is a certainty. It will be in all Canon XD and XXD cameras from here on out.

It will also likely have several f8 autofocus points. Canon needs the f8 autofocus points to keep the 100-400 II lens competitive with cheaper alternatives (by making a 1.4 converter more appealing). The f8 autofocus points aren't about selling cameras, they are about selling a lens.

K said:
... It still sold well, because of people being in the Canon system (owning the glass).

Disagree with that. The 6D is an entry level full frame camera. Most people buying the 6D have little investment in Canon lenses and many of those lenses are likely to be EF-S.

It sold well because, like most Canon products, it outperformed its spec list. This is something that few people on this forum understand. Spec lists aren't that important. The important thing is how a product performs and the 6D performed very well.

Upvote 0

mitchel

I grow old, I grow old
Mar 10, 2014
I think you guys are a bit off base here. I use the 6d, as do a number of other landscape/fine art photographers, because we like the sensor/output better than any of the other canons. Forgive me for mentioning, but its even got a higher score on DXO (there, I said it). For some folks, the number one priority on a camera is the quality of the sensor -- everything else is secondary (as long as there are no functional deal killers). Alas, this is why many landscape photographers use the Sony/Nikon cameras. If the 6d mk2 ends up with another great sensor -- perhaps with even better specs than the 5d mkiv -- then I will be all over it (even though I can afford any of the other bodies in the EOS line). In the meantime, I anxiously await the first reviews of the 5d mkiv sensor performance. If it handily outperforms the current 6d (as it should), then I will jump (even though the 5d mkiv has a much richer feature set).

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
K said:
24 or 28 MP
ISO 32000
45pt AF system, possibly 19pt system if Canon goes low.
Touchscreen at minimum.
Possibly flip or articulating
GPS / WIFI / NFC with certainty.
5 FPS - I think this is a given.
-3EV AF
Single SD Slot :mad:
DPAF? That's a tough one....if it has an articulating screen, I say yes. If not, then no.
If it has DPAF, they will have to cripple or nerf the video quality and features. No way the 6D2 can be a better video making machine than 5D4 or 1DX2. It will end up being a FF 80D basically.

Low end would be 24MP, 19pt AF, touchscreen only, single SD.
High end would be 28MP, 45pt AF, touch/flip/articulate, dual SD.

Not an unreasonable list. But, DPAF is a certainty. It will be in all Canon XD and XXD cameras from here on out.

It will also likely have several f8 autofocus points. Canon needs the f8 autofocus points to keep the 100-400 II lens competitive with cheaper alternatives (by making a 1.4 converter more appealing). The f8 autofocus points aren't about selling cameras, they are about selling a lens.

K said:
... It still sold well, because of people being in the Canon system (owning the glass).

Disagree with that. The 6D is an entry level full frame camera. Most people buying the 6D have little investment in Canon lenses and many of those lenses are likely to be EF-S.

It sold well because, like most Canon products, it outperformed its spec list. This is something that few people on this forum understand. Spec lists aren't that important. The important thing is how a product performs and the 6D performed very well.

The 6D was not an entry level camera. It was based off of the 5DII specks the only real shortcomings were the slower shutter. I do not consider the 60D style body a shortcoming. The only thing I ever missed coming from a 60D was the articulating screen. In the end I sold it because it did not offer enough over my Sony A7II performance wise. The A7II is also smaller and easier to carry around.

If the 6DII does not have 45pt AF, articulating screen, and DPAF I am not going to buy one. If it is 24 MP it might be a hard sell. I am not buying a 5D IV because I hate the size of the 5D series. They are just too big and if I did i would likely get the 5Dsr instead. I like the size of the 6D and I really want 5DIII level or better specs in a 6D body. The only reason I have not pulled the trigger on a 5Dsr already if the size of the body. I hate caring my 7D II around so I will hate carrying around a 5Dsr just as much. It does not matter much with the 7DII as much because it is almost always attached to my Tamron 150-600mm. With that size lens it would not matter if I was carrying a 1Dx. But I tend to use it only for wildlife. And unless i a going somewhere to photograph wildlife it stays home.

But I am one of the few that would pay a premium for a 5Dsr specked sensor in a body 6D sized or slightly smaller body. And would like to see the 6D sensor crammed into a rebel body with the 24-105 STM kit lens.

If the 6DII is not around the high end of the specs I will buy a Sony A7rII, A7rIII, A9 or whatever they call it. Given how good Canon lense work on a Sony body there is really no reason not to.

I do not really see the need for dual memory cards. But I have never lost a photograph to a bad card.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
ScottyP said:
Moderately more AF points and keep the MP down to 25 or so in order to squeeze out a stop of high ISO image quality and you continue the winning formula. It isn't a sports camera or a rugged camera or a movie camera. It is a whiz at low light and image quality.

I personally wouldn't complain at all if it were made a bit more rugged - I don't think that's where the cost increases lie though. I take mine hiking/biking etc. They get a fair bit of jostling and are exposed to dust/humidity/fog/rain occasionally. For the cost of some silicone rubber seals and maybe some reinforcing of the overall shell and tripod socket area, I think it'd be worth it. To be clear, I don't think I've heard of anyone breaking the base on a 6D, but I carry mine hanging from that socket most of the time either on a capture clip or on the BR Strap - sometimes with a fairly heavy bit of glass and a monopod on there too. A little more peace of mind on the structural integrity would be nice.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
... What features does Canon leave out (or dumb down) of the 5D4 to make the 6D2?

I thought, that Canon done pretty good job in differentiating 6D from Pro level bodies on many levels...

My personal gripe with this camera is 1/160 sec maximum flash sync speed .. yes, HSS, i know.. :) at the cost of 2.5 stop loss of power due to HSS... 6D is great if you have all the time in the world for taking that hero shot...

My bet is: maximum flash sync speed will remain at around 1/160 or thereabout.. :(

Upvote 0
Alex_M said:
I thought, that Canon done pretty good job in differentiating 6D from Pro level bodies on many levels...

My personal gripe with this camera is 1/160 sec maximum flash sync speed .. yes, HSS, i know.. :) at the cost of 2.5 stop loss of power due to HSS... 6D is great if you have all the time in the world for taking that hero shot...

My bet is: maximum flash sync speed will remain at around 1/160 or thereabout.. :(

It's actually 1/180, not 1/160, but I agree it's a tad slow (check your settings to allow 1/3 stop shutter increments if you don't get that option). Should at least be 1/200 and preferably 1/250 like the xxD cameras. My other gripe is 1/4000 min shutter speed. Neither are huge deal breakers but they do affect me since I like fast glass. I'm actually close to picking up a gently used 5Dm3 for outdoor events and portraits now that they're getting well under $2k gently used. I really love the 6D, but it's minor limitations do get wearing.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
wsheldon said:
Alex_M said:

It's actually 1/180, not 1/160, but I agree it's a tad slow (check your settings to allow 1/3 stop shutter increments if you don't get that option). Should at least be 1/200 and preferably 1/250 like the xxD cameras. My other gripe is 1/4000 min shutter speed. Neither are huge deal breakers but they do affect me since I like fast glass. I'm actually close to picking up a gently used 5Dm3 for outdoor events and portraits now that they're getting well under $2k gently used. I really love the 6D, but it's minor limitations do get wearing.

In focal plane shutter systems (e.g. dSLRs), Xsync is limited by the length of time it takes for the shutter curtains to cross the sensor. For a FF camera, that distance is greater than for an APS-C sensor, so for a FF camera to achieve Xsync speeds of an APS-C camera means the shutter curtains must move faster, and thus be driven by more powerful motors and have the commensurate durability and vibration damping. Currently the only Canon FF cameras with a 1/250 s Xsync are the 1-series (and in fact, the APS-H sensor in the older 1D models allowed a 1/300 s Xsync).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
wsheldon said:
Alex_M said:

In focal plane shutter systems (e.g. dSLRs), Xsync is limited by the length of time it takes for the shutter curtains to cross the sensor. For a FF camera, that distance is greater than for an APS-C sensor, so for a FF camera to achieve Xsync speeds of an APS-C camera means the shutter curtains must move faster, and thus be driven by more powerful motors and have the commensurate durability and vibration damping. Currently the only Canon FF cameras with a 1/250 s Xsync are the 1-series (and in fact, the APS-H sensor in the older 1D models allowed a 1/300 s Xsync).

and suprise suprise the 6D, the cheapest and only 1/4000th sec FF Canon camera has a slow max sync of 1/180th

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
Alex_M said:
dilbert said:
... What features does Canon leave out (or dumb down) of the 5D4 to make the 6D2?

This comes up pretty often and it always makes me reminisce about when I wore a much younger man's clothes and worked in a camera store. In those days cameras with leaf shutters were limited, generally speaking, to 1/500sec top shutter speed. Most focal plane shutters were 1/1000 top shutter speed. Using #5 flash bulbs, which most of us used as "strobes" were very expensive, bulky and heavy...often requiring separate battery packs, the leaf shutter would sync all the way to 1/500sec but focal plane shutters would only sync at either 1/60sec or 1/90sec using the same bulb. As I vaguely recall there were more expensive bulbs, same size and bayonet base as #5 bulbs, which were called FP bulbs. They lit up quick and lit for longer so you could use a higher focal plane shutter speed since they stayed lit all while the slot moved across the film. Electronic flash (strobes) had a separate plug and generally were limited to the low shutter speeds mentioned above.

At least that is how my old brain remembers it.....which could be a little off. I even remember having a solenoid on a Speed Graphic which allowed the shutter to sync with the flash unit.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
paxfoto said:
I would be ok with a FF 80D. A tilting or articulating is a must. I like the Sony tilting screen better, it is more low key when used. I'm looking forward to the new 6DII and A7III. One of the will replace my aging 5D mk1. 24MP is more than enough, if they make it higher I would like a M-RAW option at 24MP.

Me too, on the FF 80D concept. The 5DmkII and 70D that I have have all the features I need except those features are split over two camera bodies. Add in the improved AF and DR of the 80D and I'd buy it even if it'd be considerably more expensive than its predecessor, à la 5DmkIV.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Hopefully they give it dual SD card slots. If the rumors are true and it moves upmarket then that makes sense.

If they give it a flippy screen, I can't help but look at this as the ultimate enthusiast body.
Given the way they're handling things now, I hope they don't bother with 4K and give it the best HD video ever.

Of course the DP-RAW is a big feature for me, but for now I have to say I'm not in the market for a $2K camera body, hopefully Canon can put DPAF in a lower cost body sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Considering the 6D was considered the 'low light entry full frame', it will be interesting if they continue that trend with the 6D2.

The 5D4 AF points can do -3EV and -4EV in LV, so I wonder if the center point on the 6D could be -4EV to follow that pattern. It really needs at least 30 AF points, with at least half being cross type. The further most AF points on my 6D can be quite inaccurate so that's something they need to fix. Other features I'd like are:

1/8000 sec max shutter
1/200th at least for flash sync speed, 1/250th would be preferable (but doubtful since 5D4 is only 1/200th)
Tilty touch screen
WB button
Exposure compensation in M when using auto ISO
Focus Peaking in LV
Dual Pixel RAW depends on how useful it actually is, we'll have to wait and see

For the sensor, 24 would be great but I certainly wouldn't mind 28-30. It is more than likely wrong, but if the 6D did to upmarket what if it was 36-40MP? We have the 1DXII at 20mp, then next level down is 5D4 at 30MP so why not 6D2 at 40MP?

The 5D4 announcement has made me very impatient, I can't wait to even see new rumors about what the 6D2 will offer.

Upvote 0