Canon EOS 90D full specifications

But it will probably have the AA filter, making it somewhere between 40 and 50 MP equivalent...
Certainly a more difficult choice if we're not going to have a 7DIII. Between this and an R. Seems it will do pretty much what a 7DII does and a bit more. My guess is that this is the last semi-pro APS-C body in the EF (s) range?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
As a customer who buys from them even though they don't listen, it's frustrating that they don't! We have consistently asked to be brought up to atleast par with other cameras from 4 years ago. 2 card slots and 4k 60 would have easily sold me on this, unfortunately, I will not be getting this now.
I guess I'm a bit out of the loop, but I'm drawing a blank on what this is missing when compared to an equivalent tier camera from 4 years ago?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I guess I'm a bit out of the loop, but I'm drawing a blank on what this is missing when compared to an equivalent tier camera from 4 years ago?

You aren't paying attention. I'll give you a list.
  • Direct wireless neural interface.
  • Molecule tracking based on DNA detection.
  • 8k/1000p.
  • Radioisotope thermoelectric generator instead of lithium rechargeable batteries.
  • Warp field generator to eliminate weight and inertia.
  • Thin film fluidic lens covering all focal lengths seamlessly.
  • Option to buy two and use them as a long-baseline optical interferometer or a 3D setup.
  • Built-in spectrophotometer for white balance.
  • Built in stabilization not only in our 6 axes, but those of several other universes as well.
Do try to pay attention to the market next time.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
You aren't paying attention. I'll give you a list.
  • Direct wireless neural interface.
  • Molecule tracking based on DNA detection.
  • 8k/1000p.
  • Radioisotope thermoelectric generator instead of lithium rechargeable batteries.
  • Warp field generator to eliminate weight and inertia.
  • Thin film fluidic lens covering all focal lengths seamlessly.
  • Option to buy two and use them as a long-baseline optical interferometer or a 3D setup.
  • Built-in spectrophotometer for white balance.
  • Built in stabilization not only in our 6 axes, but those of several other universes as well.
Do try to pay attention to the market next time.
Does that mean I'll have a nuclear waste problem when my battery stops working.
Couldn't Canon just use Dilithium crystals like Sony do.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
A full frame sensor with the same pixel pitch would have an 83.2 megapixel sensor. And hey, the rumor mill does suggest a FF EOS 5DS replacement may sport something in the 70-80 megapixel range.
Thanks for calculating it.

That's what I'm thinking. So maybe the next 5DS replacement will be 83 MP.

Upvote 0
I am curious about Canon explaining the 90D. Is that really a 7D ii replacement, with just one card slot? Maybe they have just upped the game for the xxD line and 7D iii later?
I think they're splitting the difference. Finding a spot between 80D and 7Dii with the 7Diii never coming. So it's a bit more than one would expect in an update to the 80D, but not quite what one would expect in a 7Diii. Maybe the vision is that a spiritual successor to the 7Dii will be mirrorless. The 7D series really depends on focus speed and accuracy, and I think there are certainly opportunities for focusing advancement in mirrorless if you have enough processing power. For all we know, that could be why the M5ii was rumoured as delayed (healthy dose of speculation there).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Thanx Canon for including all the video features I wanted except for...ya kno.... LOG... No C-Log, come on man
No mention of 24p in these, either. And still the completely pointless 30 minute recording limit. Still no support for 64-bit files, even though every SDXC card is formatted with a 64-bit file system (ok, that last one is kind of a minor nit).

And not much in the way of higher frame rates. The fact they're supporting full frame 4K suggested this was a new Canon sensor technology. And maybe it is. But the current one seems to have had several interrelated problems. Speed (frame rate), heat (no possibility for IBIS, even on mirrorless), and 4K crop (heat again) all being basically the same issue with their level of tech.

Kind of hoping this was the year Canon wasn't two sensor generations behind Sony. Then again, I've been hoping for that since 2013 or so ...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think they're splitting the difference. Finding a spot between 80D and 7Dii with the 7Diii never coming. So it's a bit more than one would expect in an update to the 80D, but not quite what one would expect in a 7Diii. Maybe the vision is that a spiritual successor to the 7Dii will be mirrorless. The 7D series really depends on focus speed and accuracy, and I think there are certainly opportunities for focusing advancement in mirrorless if you have enough processing power. For all we know, that could be why the M5ii was rumoured as delayed (healthy dose of speculation there).
I'd bet that this is here to placate both 80D and 7Dii users, beast as any single model can, and yeah, the real pro/enthusiast upgrade to the 7Dii will be mirrorless. And yeah, that puts Canon in the weird position of supporting two incompatible APS-C systems.

Upvote 0
Thanks for calculating it.

That's what I'm thinking. So maybe the next 5DS replacement will be 83 MP.

If it's the same sensor scaled up, then a 3-image vertical stitched pano should approximate the new high-res 35mm sensor (plus a little on the top and bottom). But since the high-res R will likely not have an AA filter, 1:1 from the 90D won't be the same.

Upvote 0
As a customer who buys from them even though they don't listen, it's frustrating that they don't! We have consistently asked to be brought up to atleast par with other cameras from 4 years ago. 2 card slots and 4k 60 would have easily sold me on this, unfortunately, I will not be getting this now.
Missing: 2 card slots, IBIS. Still behind in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0