Canon EOS M System Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Canon-F1

by the way.. i hate that the sensor is not protected in all these mirrorless cameras.

yeah i know... there are layers above the actuall sensor.

anyway... i don´t know but it gives me a "bad feeling".
i can really feel how it attracts dust, brrrrrhhhh.

im able to clean a sensor.. but what will the average joe user do?
grab an old cleaning rag and smear all over the sensor? ;)

Upvote 0
Well, I'm hearing an awful lot of bad-mouthing about a product that is not yet even available, from a bunch of folks who probably have no intention of purchasing it in the first place. I'd say that is a pretty good definition of NOISE. To which my response is: "Shhhh."

I'd say this looks to be a pretty nice litttle camera, with some pretty nice little lenses, and a pretty nice little flash.

For me, the flash is the most interesting piece of all. I'll be grabbing one of those as soon as they become available. Looks ready-made for 5Dii daytime fill-flash, eh?

Upvote 0
As I've been predicting, this is the start of the merging of the top end of the PowerShot series and the Rebel series. It's the latest Rebel in a PowerShot body, basically.

This camera isn't for me, but I don't have any Rebels nor PowerShot cameras, and I don't have any interest in such. However, many moons ago when I bought the original Digital Rebel as an upgrade from an Olympus superzoom P&S (my first camera), the EOS-M would have been very tempting, indeed. You get the latest-and-greatest APS-C sensor in a minuscule body and an entry-level price, plus you can mount almost any lens ever made.

I'm curious, though: what's the Shorty McForty look like mounted to this thing with the adapter? I'm guessing it won't be anywhere near as much of a pancake at that point.

Then again, I don't think 40mm is an exciting focal length on APS-C. Personally, were I to buy this camera, I doubt I'd ever take off the 22mm pancake...but, once more, I've already got a 5DIII with the ShortyMcForty body cap, so why would I want an EOS-M?

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
TW said:
For me, the flash is the most interesting piece of all. I'll be grabbing one of those as soon as they become available. Looks ready-made for 5Dii daytime fill-flash, eh?

Any idea if the flash system on this camera is compatible with the 580EXII's or the 270EXII? I know it is a new flash type, it would suck if it were not compatible.

Upvote 0

mws

Nov 9, 2010
pdirestajr said:
My opinion is that this is a "good start" for their new system. This is for Best Buy and should beat up on the Nikon-1. I'll wait for the 3rd gen of the EOS-M. Not in a rush.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how this goes. Especially since Canon said there will be a "pro version" whatever that means.

Also does anyone have any idea about the EF adapter? Is there a glass element in it? Or is it just a tube with some electrical contacts? At 200 it seems pricey for a tube but cheap for some glass.

Upvote 0
mws said:
Also does anyone have any idea about the EF adapter? Is there a glass element in it? Or is it just a tube with some electrical contacts? At 200 it seems pricey for a tube but cheap for some glass.

I believe all the EOS flashes are compatible with the EOS-M, and vice-versa, per B&H website info.

Also, the adapter has no glass at all, just a spacer with contacts, but I dont know if it is passive or active (contains circuitry). Either way, I agree $200 seems high. $100 would seem to be a more appropriate price level, to me. $200 seems "gougey", like Canon is saying "you have no choice, so pay up!"

Upvote 0
Caps18 said:
Does it shoot RAW?

Yes.

I'm waiting to see if the update the G line to compete with this.

Frankly, the G line is dead. The EOS-M is being introduced at the exact same price as the G1 X -- that alone should be all the confirmation you need of the demise of the G line.

And look for new Rebels to all be EOS-M as well.

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
TrumpetPower! said:
Frankly, the G line is dead.

...until the G2 X comes out next year, at any rate. The G1 X is outselling the Nikon 1 on Amazon. Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't want to muck about with changing lenses. Just no one on this forum...

TrumpetPower! said:
The EOS-M is being introduced at the exact same price as the G1 X -- that alone should be all the confirmation you need of the demise of the G line.

There are like 20 PowerShots all within a few $$ of each other. How does the fact that two different types of cameras have a similar price mean one is going away?

Upvote 0
TrumpetPower! said:
Frankly, the G line is dead. The EOS-M is being introduced at the exact same price as the G1 X -- that alone should be all the confirmation you need of the demise of the G line.

And look for new Rebels to all be EOS-M as well.

Cheers,

b&

I'm curious what Canon is planning to do with the G1 X sensor... what else is it used in? Also curious as to how quickly the AF works -- is it as fast as the phase-detect of a regular Rebel?

Agree that the M-mount will threaten the EF-S mount. This smaller mount will allow the lenses to get smaller/lighter.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
TW said:
$200 seems "gougey", like Canon is saying "you have no choice, so pay up!"

Lol. Ever buy a Canon-branded lens hood?!?

Yup, and I held my nose while I did it. Big difference there, though; there are alternative sources for lens hoods. Not so for this, at least for a while, I'd say.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.