Canon EOS M System Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
neuroanatomist said:
TrumpetPower! said:
Frankly, the G line is dead.

...until the G2 X comes out next year, at any rate. The G1 X is outselling the Nikon 1 on Amazon. Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't want to muck about with changing lenses. Just no one on this forum...

TrumpetPower! said:
The EOS-M is being introduced at the exact same price as the G1 X -- that alone should be all the confirmation you need of the demise of the G line.

There are like 20 PowerShots all within a few $$ of each other. How does the fact that two different types of cameras have a similar price mean one is going away?

The point is that EOS-M gets you a camera that's the same size as the G1 X with better specs at the same price. And there's nothing that says that you actually have to take the lens off a removable lens camera. How many people own automatic transmission cars with "sport shifting" who never put the car in anything other than park, drive, and reverse?

The EOS-M with the 22mm lens is actually a bit smaller than the G1 X, and decidedly more pocketable. With the new standard zoom, it sticks out a little bit more than does the G1 X, but not by enough to change the pocketability question. So, if you get the EOS-M, all you have to do to switch between a better party camera than the G1 X and a better photographic tool than the G1 X is swap the lens. A lot of people who never would have thought of getting a removable lens camera will realize just that due to Canon's very intelligent move of releasing those two lenses at the same time as the camera...and those are exactly the same people who would otherwise be buying a G1 X.

b&

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
TW said:
neuroanatomist said:
TW said:
$200 seems "gougey", like Canon is saying "you have no choice, so pay up!"

Lol. Ever buy a Canon-branded lens hood?!?

Yup, and I held my nose while I did it. Big difference there, though; there are alternative sources for lens hoods. Not so for this, at least for a while, I'd say.

Think of it as a $140 ef25II ext tube + a $60 tripod foot, though switching to portrait appears to be via the ballhead...

Hello Kenko

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
Neeneko said:
So... another camera where video is the big selling point?

At some point Canon needs to just drop the pretense of being a camera company and admit that they are making camcorders in camera form factor.

Thus I go 'meh'.

Name another camera that has been released in recent years by ANY company that doesn't have video added.

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
TW said:
I believe all the EOS flashes are compatible with the EOS-M, and vice-versa, per B&H website info.
Thanks for that - I wonder why they just didn't go with the 270EX2 for this camera - the new flash looks just like the 270ex2.

In shape, yes, but looking at the specs page reveals a much different story:

90EX
Dimensions - Approx. 1.7" (W) x 2.0" (H) x 2.6" (D) / 44.2 (W) x 52.0 (H) x 65.0 (D) mm
Weight - Approx. 1.8 oz. / 50g NOTE: (assuming without batteries)

270EX II
Dimensions - 2.6 x 2.6 x 3.0 in./ 65.8 x 65.2 x 77mm
Weight - 5.5 oz./155g (without batteries)

Much smaller, much lighter, still powered by 2 AA batteries (CORRECTION: 90EX is powered by 2x AAA batteries, 270EX II runs on 2x AA), can function as commander as well. No zoom head, and much lower power flash than it's bigger brother (GN 9 @ 24mm vs. GN 22 @ 28mm). It is even less powerful than the built-in flashes on Rebels (GN 13 @ 28mm). Interesting offering, the 24mm and weight make it pretty unique.

EDIT: Also, check out the relative size of the hotshoe for scale, and note that the 90EX has a plastic shoe.

90ex_586x186_hero.gif

sl270exii_586x186_hero.gif

mws said:
Random Orbits said:
Does the EOS M camera have MFA? That would be a big factor for me for using it as a backup.

Doubtful, the 50D was lowest model to have it. Would be nice though.

Why would it need AFMA? It is basing the focus on phase and contrast on the sensor. Isn't the reason for AFMA that the AF module in DSLRs are not located on the sensor?

EDIT: Sorry didn't see that trowski already addressed this issue.

Upvote 0
tomsop said:
I also like the compact and don't care about the loss of a viewfinder - we are all trained by now not to use one thanks to the iPhone.

Puzzling how you can shrink the whole world down into people who have and use iphones.

While I've seen lots of good pictures from cell phones, they are not versatile enough for genuine photography. Saturday, a man asked me to take a picture of him using his cell phone. It was overcast and I could hardly see him in the display, let alone do any kind of composing. I took a couple of pictures, and they looked like waste material at the bottom of a portable toilet. He was very happy when I offered to take pictures of him with a real camera and send them to him.

As for the M camera, Canon seems to have done it right and it looks like a useful addition for people who want to take pictures casually.

Upvote 0
I've got to say that whilst I have no interest in the EOS-M body, I can appreciate that people like me are not Canon's main target audience. My main concern with this launch is the lack of lenses announced with it. My "hoped for" launch would have been:

• two bodies: this one and higher end model;
  • three zooms: the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM (collapsible would have been nice), an EF-M 55-150mm(ish) f/4-5.6 IS STM and an 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM;
  • three primes: three fast pancake lenses. I won't specify focal lengths or apertures, as we could all argue over this until the cows come home!

Of course, this would have been living in dreamland! In the real world, we might have hoped for

• two bodies (camera companies seem to be more keen on bodies than lenses!)
  • two of the zooms
  • one or two primes

In reality, we got one body, one zoom and one prime, not exactly a solid commitment to the system from Canon! This wouldn't be a problem, except that they're the last to the party; we weren't even given a roadmap. What incentive is there to invest into EOS-M when micro-4/3rds is now so well established, Sony are starting to look strong, Fuji are pitching to the enthusiast, and even Samsung have a pretty good lineup. I certainly wouldn't buy into this system based upon EF lens compatability, because we all know they're mostly pretty unsuitable for mirrorless cameras (too big and with poor AF speed). I'm sure that Canon had this in mind when they launched the new EF 18-135mm IS STM and 'shorty-forty', but I don't think they're anywhere near as compelling (for their target audiences) on EOS-M as they are on their native format.

Canon have now shown the hand that many people have been waiting to see before they committed to a system. That hand is pretty weak at the moment; they need to keep up the momentum as the EOS-M system currently risks fading into obscurity once the hype from the launch is over (like Nikon '1' has). If they haven't got anything else (mirrorless) to show at Photokina, there are going to be a lot of people buying into rival systems. If that happens, then Canon had best hope that mirrorless is a fad and not the future, or they will have truly blown their market position.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
This is the Canon "T4i/650D-EVIL". Only thing missing is a pop-up flash, especially for the intended target group .. they will not use the hotshoe for a 580EX. MSRP is ridiculous of course, but street price will take care of that very soon.

I will not buy it, due to lack of a viewfinder. I only take pictures with arms stretched out with my iphone, but not with a "real camera"

If Canon brings a "7D-EVIL" with top-notch EVF or hybrid OVF/EVF in fall (photokina!) I will get that one as my second body for all small&light occasions, plus macros and for concerts (low noise).

Upvote 0
trowski said:
Random Orbits said:
Does the EOS M camera have MFA? That would be a big factor for me for using it as a backup.

AFMA does not apply to mirrorless cameras since autofocus is done at the sensor (with either contrast detection or phase detection).

Yes, you're correct. Brain fart of the day! ::)

Upvote 0
Did anyone notice these mountable camera grips in the italian video on 5:25 and 7:05 ?
They didn't show up on the Tech Radar video nor on the official announcement.
I think one of those would add the right amount of grip to this little thingy.

After watching the Tech Radar video I think the AF performance of this "touch me to shoot" function cannot compete.
It took nearly 1 second to grab focus while this is achieved on e.g. a GF3 in max. 2 tenth of a second.

Am I missing something?

ro_n

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.